Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sprungnickel
Adept I

AMD announced Radeon™ Software will support HDMI 2.1 VRR

Hi AMD,

AMD also announced that Radeon™ Software will add support for HDMI 2.1 Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) technology on Radeon™ RX products in an upcoming driver release. This support will come as an addition to the Radeon™ FreeSync technology umbrella, as displays with HDMI 2.1 VRR support reach market.

Where are we on this?

I have a C9 OLED and it's VRR capable. 

Best Regards,

SprungNickel

3 Replies
drallim
Elite

Is this something different from regular freesync? Because freesync over HDMI works for me already.

Yes, it is. 

Adaptive Sync is the base generic term, then FreeSync and G-sync are built around that. HDMI VRR is a transmission standard developed by HDMI consortium to standardize Adaptive Sync over HDMI. Display port's version of Adaptive Sync over HDMI basically. 

DP to monitor was opened up to Hdmi to monitor by both AMD and Nvidia but not on the HDMI VRR standard. 

So a Freesync HMDI is not compatible with HDMI VRR. this is what AMD promised in Dec 2018 and haven't seen anything since. 

NVidia recently released their HDMI port to do HDMI VRR, a version of DP G-Sync compatible capability now over HDMI. Freesync over HDMI doesn't work with G-sync monitors as yet. LG B/C/E 9 series being the first G-sync over HDMI compatible monitors around. 

So we're getting close. RX 5700 series cards need to support HDMI VRR and we'll come full circle. 

renderman
Adept I

I bought a Radeon RX5700XT believing i would be able to use it with a LG OLED tv using freesync/vrr, it appears however this is not possible. AMD has been notably quiet about this. Since AMD helped develop the VRR standard and has already implemented it in their chips for XBOX consoles, AMD should have all the knowledge they need to implement this on their graphics cards as well.

AMD and RTG in particular. Please give us an update on the status of this. Is it even still being worked on?

0 Likes