cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bobsaget
Journeyman III

AMD and phanthom HDMI monitors

A use case for computers, especially HTPCs, is to use display port for your monitor and connect your GPU to an AVR using HDMI.

The problem with this is that you get a phantom HDMI monitor because of the way HDMI works.

If AMD can add the option to keep the HDMI audio but suppress actually turning it into a separate screen that Windows sees, it would be a major advantage for AMD, because Nvidia isn't delivering on this.

1 Reply
Zaekyr
Journeyman III

I have run into issues trying to run my LG C2 as a display while also using a Denon 5.1 AVR for sound. If I try to use e-ARC in either direction: for LG first windows (11) detects the display as having only 2 speakers and limits me to that and if I try to run through the receiver first it can do 4k but limits my refresh to 60 FPS. I blame windows more for being limited in its capability. But it would be nice if there was an AMD Adrenaline software method since then Microsoft won't be able to f it up. Maybe there is already a good way to do this but haven't found it so far. Been looking at phantom monitor as an option but I will have to experiment, I guess. My other option is edid but I would rather not have to edit that for e-ARC and prefer running the second HDMI output on my GPU.

0 Likes