Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

GoPaw
Adept I

AMD and MediaTek Formally Launch RZ600 Series Wi-Fi 6E Modules Driver download

Hi,

Im wondering who will be supplying driver updates for the RZ600 Series Wi-Fi 6E modules will it be AMD or MediaTek?

Also where can i download the latest drivers for the RZ600 Series Wi-Fi 6E modules, because right now there are no driver downloads to be found anywhere when i search for the new products, nothing on AMDs or MediaTeks pages.

https://www.amd.com/en/press-releases/2021-11-18-amd-and-mediatek-develop-amd-rz600-series-wi-fi-6e-...

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-and-mediatek-formally-launch-rz600-series-wi-fi-6e-mo...

0 Likes
15 Replies

Going to need to wait and find out when the product is officially released to the public.

The MediaTek Chip does use a AMD CPU so it is a good chance that AMD will probably have a special AMD CHIPSET package to install that might include Wifi/Bluetooth drivers.

Or the WiFi/Bluetooth drivers will come from MediaTek Support.

Reason why im asking is because is picked up a Gigabyte X570S AORUS Pro AX (rev 1.1) and it turns out that this MB has AMDs new RZ608 chip installed, ofcause there are some drivers up on Gigabytes page but i dont think they will be updating them all to often.

So im simply wondering for future reference if AMD will be handling driver updates or MediaTek because one thing is for sure Gigabyte will not be doing any updates!

Like you said it would be great if we get a special AMD Wifi/Bluetooth package that installs the drivers.

Because right now we have no official download place or anything.

And regarding the RZ608 chip there actually quite a few out on the market already.

0 Likes

If your motherboard has that chip already and Gigabytes CHIPSET is the same as AMD then any AMD CHIPSET for your X570 should update the drivers for your AMD Motherboard with that chip installed.

As far as WiFi/Bluetooth, as far as I am aware, AMD doesn't make any WiFi/Bluetooth drivers. So I imagine those drivers will be coming from either Gigabyte or MediaTek itself.

I have a AMD Asus X570 Wifi/Bluetooth motherboard but with Intel Wifi & Bluetooth installed. So I just run Intel's own driver updater to update both of my WiFi/Bluetooth drivers. I imagine MediaTek will be the same or something similar.

Please be aware I am just guessing and have no information about what AMD will do or not do concerning those new Chips.

Im totaly aware that AMD offers driver for their X570 chips but like u said the RZ600 is a wifi/bluetooth modul and that a totally different story since there are no drivers for this on AMDs or MediaTeks pages.

For now no one knows who will be supplying drivers for the RZ600 series.

On my current MB i also have Intels solution and getting drivers for that is very smooth and easy.

Would be great if we get a proper reply from AMD people about this.

0 Likes

This Anatech article about that new AMD/MediaTek Chip: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16666/amd-wifi-6e-rz608

According to the article the AMD chip is actually a Rebranded MediaTek Chip:

"So here comes the crux: AMD doesn’t make the Wi-Fi module. Through our sleuthing, this is actually a rebranded MediaTek MT7921K module with an AMD logo on it. MediaTek sells the modules to AMD who brands them, but also leverages the regulatory compliance that MediaTek has already done for this product. AMD then takes over custom integration projects, sales, marketing, and support for the module. The RZ608 sold by AMD is in an M.2 2230 form factor and uses PCIe 2.1, although the AYANEO likely is using a more custom integration. There is also Bluetooth 5.2.

The use of the partnership with MediaTek will likely allow AMD to partner its mobile processors with its own branded Wi-Fi 6E solution with OEM partners when it comes to designing devices. Intel leverages the fact that it has Intel CPU, Intel Wi-Fi, Intel Thunderbolt, and Intel Ethernet as a combined sales opportunity for OEMs making devices around an Intel product, so it appears that AMD is leveraging the same ecosystem gains, albeit with rebranded components.

There was an unconfirmed rumor going around the internet last year about a collaboration between MediaTek and AMD co-creating some custom wireless designs, with some reports suggesting that the collaboration will go beyond Wi-Fi. We're not sure to what extent AMD has had any input in the design of the MT7921K / RZ608, or how much that will continue going forward. At this point I'm confident that this sits as a rebrand just for now, given the lifecycle of product development in this area, as well as the Wi-Fi certification being in MediaTek's name."

"So here comes the crux: AMD doesn’t make the Wi-Fi module. Through our sleuthing, this is actually a rebranded MediaTek MT7921K module with an AMD logo on it. MediaTek sells the modules to AMD who brands them, but also leverages the regulatory compliance that MediaTek has already done for this product. AMD then takes over custom integration projects, sales, marketing, and support for the module. The RZ608 sold by AMD is in an M.2 2230 form factor and uses PCIe 2.1, although the AYANEO likely is using a more custom integration. There is also Bluetooth 5.2."

If i understand this right then it sounds like AMD will be the one handling driver support for the RZ600 series.

0 Likes

I don't know. Depends on what they mean by "Support". 

0 Likes

In the end it would be great from AMDs part to actually confirm what the plans are and give us consumers some clarity on how future driver support will be handled and by who ofcause.

0 Likes

There must be some AMD representative here that should be able to give us some clarity on this question.

After all were are on the AMD forums!

0 Likes

The AMD Moderators job is to moderate the Forums. They do, in rare occasions, get involved if it sometimes involves serious issues that arises in some threads concerning a driver or AMD hardware.

But. from my observations while here at AMD Forums, the Moderators stay pretty much in the background and let the Users interact with each other to solves each other problems.

So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response from a AMD Representative or Moderator here at AMD Forums concerning a future hardware that hasn't been released officially to the public yet.

0 Likes

To some extent i was actually expecting this, but heck we have to try anyway.

Also thank you for your replies!

Vinniemac
Journeyman III

I know I am a new user here but I have one of these cards. The "RZ608 WiFi 6E 80MHz" Card which is indeed a Mediatek MT7921K.

For drivers you can check Windows Update Catalogue (type it in the search) and then type in RZ608 in to windows update catalogue page search and I think it will give you the driver 3.3.0.297/8 i think.

Failing that just do a quick search for Mediatek MT7921K driver and there are 3rd party driver sites you can grab the driver from.

It will install the driver for the RZ608, so no problem here.

Worthy to note:

For European users. If you have a WiFi 6E router and this card, the drivers for the RZ608 do not yet open up the 6GHz band for Europe, so you will not see the 6GHz band (At the time of writing this reply)

Once the driver is available you will need to use Windows 11. Microsoft pulled 6GHz support in favour of Windows 11 and only Windows 10 Beta versions work (depending on card and driver support)

I hope this helps

Cheers

Hi there I know this reply was old is there any news of a driver enabling the 6GHz band for Europe? I have the RZ608 in my gigabyte motherboard using the latest available driver from them, but cannot see the 6ghz band at all. I am in the UK

0 Likes
Zevs1
Journeyman III

https://oemdrivers.com/network-mediatek-mt7921-wireless-lan-driver

Я скачивал новый драйве с этого сайта 

Alex_Sam
Journeyman III

Zevs1. Thank you for sharing the link with the drivers. I am in Spain. Now, my card perfectly works

0 Likes