Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to build a computer with the following hardware:

MOBO: ASUS A68HM-Plus

CPU: AMD A8-7680

RAM: 16GB (2x8 GB) Patriot Viper 3, DDR3 1600 MHz

DISPLAY: LG 25UM58

SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB

I had problems to make it working with Ubuntu 18.04 so I moved back to 16.04. The first think I had to face was the blank screen at login, so I added "nomodeset" to Grub as suggested by several blog entries. Then, once the system is up and running, from terminal I checked the video driver in use by using the command  lshw -c video  but there is no  "driver=" at "configuration:" entry. Then I also used  lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3  and indeed amdgpu was listed in "Kernel modules:"  but no entry for "Kernel driver in use:". The amdgpu driver should be pre-installed in Ubuntu 16.04+ but I tried also to reinstall: nothing changed. As result, the video is only at 1024x768.

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tomkasz
Adept II

Re: AMD A8-7680 Ubuntu

Jump to solution

After compiling my experience with Web knowledge, the problem may be Secure Boot set to Enabled.

For your motherboard, this option should be in BIOS (UEFI) in the Boot section (top bar). Secure Boot option. Set Secure Boot to Disabled. Save the settings, start Ubuntu and run these two commands again and show the results.

View solution in original post

24 Replies
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

Thanks for opening a Thread.

I believe billy72‌ is knowledgeable about Ubuntu and might be able to give you some tips if possible.

0 Likes
tomkasz
Adept II

Jump to solution

Hello,

Paste all the results of the commands you write about. What does any configuration look like in the bios of this motherboard, in the advanced tab, cpu configuration and nb configuration. Is/was there any other operating system installed on this computer?

elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

If you are experienced in Ubuntu I will keep you in mind if other Ubuntu Users posts questions.

tomkasz
Adept II

Jump to solution

I have some experience. On PC I use mainly Ubuntu. I will be happy to help.

bcode
Adept I

Jump to solution

No other OS installed. Please find below the output of commands above.

sudo lshw -c video
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
version: e2
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f07fffff ioport:f000(size=256) memory:feb00000-feb3ffff memory:c0000-dffff

sudo lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics] (rev e2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Carrizo
Kernel modules: amdgpu
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio

If necessary, I will screenshot the bios.

0 Likes
tomkasz
Adept II

Jump to solution

After compiling my experience with Web knowledge, the problem may be Secure Boot set to Enabled.

For your motherboard, this option should be in BIOS (UEFI) in the Boot section (top bar). Secure Boot option. Set Secure Boot to Disabled. Save the settings, start Ubuntu and run these two commands again and show the results.

View solution in original post

jdrobinson314
Challenger

Jump to solution

One of the good things about Linux is that there are so many variants that can be tried out for compatibility with hardware.

But, first, it looks like that APU is a relatively newer model which most motherboards didn't originally include support for - this means that your motherboard may only partially recognize the CPU...it's rare that this happens like it does. Usually, the chip won't post at all.

It looks like the bios verson 2006 added support for this APU, there's a new version 2011 also. I would check the bios version. Updating this is not tirvial using linux, but most updates can be done over the web directly from asus bios ( which may or may not work ), and also by USB - be careful here, as the bios file name must be specific to the board or very bad things can go wrong. I would try updating the bios from the web if possible. edit: By specific, I mean it has to have a specific file name, you will have to look this up, as I don't know if it comes like this when downloaded.

Other problem might be that the on board graphics isn't the primary graphics, but I wouldn't know why you would get picture or display from it with such basic functionality. Maybe try increasing available memory window for it to something like 1gb, or 2gb.

The other problem may the kernel version and the new APU - you should aim for a distro with at least version 4.6 or better. I know that's an unusual kernel version, but 4.6 is where all the good vulkan stuff started to get added. You could possibly test the system with Manjaro ( this is a rolling release version, there is a live usb version / iso available ). The have both 4.15 and 5.1+ kernel version. Although I'm not sure how to live boot into 5.1 kernel unless it's an option in the startup.

bcode
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi Tom. It worked!! Thank you so much!!

Just last point... executing the commands above, I still get the same output. It is like the "driver in use" is not set with APUs (?!)

My next step is to install nvidia GPU. I need that for computation only with CUDA. I will keep you informed. :-)

Ciao

Luigi

0 Likes
bcode
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi. Thank you for your comment. The first problem is solved... now I am going to test the coexistence with Nvidia GPU for CUDA. :-)