cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mikauskas
Journeyman III

AMD A8-7680 R7 Ubuntu 20.04 driver

Fresh install Ubuntu 20.04 or 21.04. Wasn't able to install unless safe graphics mode selected. After install hangs at final stage of booting with black screen.

AMD A8-7680 processor with build in Radeon™ R7 Series graphics.

Installing oem kernel, and booting to it doesn't help.

sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04b

With grub nomodeset boots OK, but works in 1024x768 resolution only. Regardless monitor being 1920x1080.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset"

No Linux driver is available for this APU on AMD website.

It is very old graphics card, but it is used onboard of fairly new APU. Computer is just 18 months old. There are lots of desktop and laptop computers with this type of processors with build-in graphics cards. Problem is not trivial and wouldn't disappear itself in near future. I think it will make the problem worse, because the same problem encounter people after upgrading from 18.04 to 20.04. I have installed Ubuntu 20.04 on many computers with NVIDIA and Intel build-in and discrete graphics without problems at all. It is AMD specific problem. Just 7 months left until Ubuntu 22.04 release, but 20.04 related problems still not sorted.  The same problem will be definitively transferred to new versions, because will 21.04 is the same. It is serious neglecting of product support by AMD. Will definitely influence my future products buying decision making. Surely there are many other customers feel the same.

0 Likes
0 Replies