cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

AMD 6900 XT black screen after playing games for a while

Every day, and at random times, I'm getting black screens and my computer reboots.

I don't have a previous version to roll back to some working version of the AMD drivers, so I'm not sure how to use DDU to go back to whatever version. Does anyone have a working driver version for the AMD 6900 XT? 

I've turned off ASPM for all links in the Power Options > PCI Express > Link State Power Management > Setting: Off

I've set the TdrDelay in regedit to 25 seconds.

But I still see the issue.

The BlueScreenView minidump says the BugCheck 0x116 happened in amdkmdag.sys+b5330.

I have the latest BIOS from my motherboard manufacturer:
ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-FORMULA-ASUS-3204

I used the AMD Radeon Software program to update and install the latest drivers.

AMD VERSIONS:
Software Version - 2021.0205.0017.514
Driver Version - 20.45.35.01-210204a-364033E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2020
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01471
OpenGL® Version - 26.20.11000.14758
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.16
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.168
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.2.162
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

0 Likes
1 Solution

I found a bad connection between my power supply and graphics card.

On the "be quiet!" power supply cables, there is a 4-pin connector that floats off the edge of the other connector. I needed to plug them in so the 4-pin connector is underneath the other connector, so the 4-pin is held in tight.

I noticed this issue when I was in the case, and jiggled the cable a little bit then a red light would illuminate on the GPU, indicating some sort of power cable disconnection.

I assume that when the GPU would ramp up, the fans would vibrate a bit more, and would exacerbate the problem.

It seems 100% solved. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
Ciacho132066
Adept II

Install driver number 20.9.1 for this type of problem helps. I had the same problem

0 Likes

Ciacho132066, do you think any of the other steps I have completed (the registry entry, the power options setting, etc.) are necessary to keep as well? I'm not sure I understand their full effect because I was desperate and trying everything.

0 Likes

That version 20.9.1 does not appear to be compatible with the RX 6900 XT -- is that true?

I just tried installing it, and yes, it is not compatible.

0 Likes

What make/model/wattage psu, and are you using 2 separate pcie cables to the card.

Are you using any 3rd party oc/fan control and/or monitoring apps when crashes occur.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

My PSU: make: "be quiet!", model: Straight Power 11 Platinum, wattage: 850W.

My RAM: PNY DDR4 8GB x 4 (32 GB), 3600MHz PC4-28800.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5600X

M.2: Patriot Viper Gaming NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB.

I'm not using third party fan control programs. I haven't overclocked anything, so the motherboard should be all default.

I followed all the instructions in "TUNING" on the Adrenaline program that another user on this forum suggested. I use manual tuning and "Undervolt GPU" with "Overclock GPU".

After the above didn't work, I seriously throttled my GPU, and the temperatures never rise above 40C-45C and I have the fans running full speed 100%. Same result

0 Likes

I found a bad connection between my power supply and graphics card.

On the "be quiet!" power supply cables, there is a 4-pin connector that floats off the edge of the other connector. I needed to plug them in so the 4-pin connector is underneath the other connector, so the 4-pin is held in tight.

I noticed this issue when I was in the case, and jiggled the cable a little bit then a red light would illuminate on the GPU, indicating some sort of power cable disconnection.

I assume that when the GPU would ramp up, the fans would vibrate a bit more, and would exacerbate the problem.

It seems 100% solved. 

0 Likes

I have an Asus Radeon 6900 XT TUF, I was plagued with this same issue the first four days of having it, nothing I read worked including this.

A fix that I came across with trial and error is to drop the max frame rates in global settings.  It seems that for mine, at least, sudden large jumps in frame rates from lower ones were causing a sudden surge in GPU clock speeds, that in turn was causing a sudden large power draw and tripping power limiters on my PSU which causes the power to cut and reset the GPU.

Go into Radeon Software to set global frames.
Settings -> Graphics
-Turn ON -- Radeon Chill
-Adjust Max to something lower and min
    -Mine are:  Max: 75, Min: 45
-Under same Graphics tab at bottom access Advance
-Max FPS:  75

I have been perfectly stable with these settings since, I did not test other frame rates because tbh I see 75fps as being well high enough for anything.

System:
Z490M PRO4
Core i9-10850K
Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
RM850 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX
970 EVO 1TB SSD 3-bit MLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe

0 Likes

I will try that solution today, my 6900XT strix LC worked fine for first 6 months, then started doing these black screens into nothingeness (I can only hold power button to shut down pc and then I can start it right again) sometimes after 1h of gaming sometimes after 4h... weird that card can work fine for some time and then start doing this [?] 

0 Likes

This is not a solution. There is nothing left to be tried to solve this fckin black screen problem. I sweared myself that I am never gonna buy an AMD GPU ever. I tell all my friends that AMD Gpus are garbage. I fckin paid 1600 euros for this rx6900 xt lc for what???!!!! There is no support from amd or asus. I just want my money back but no way. You have to sue them and wait years.... They will keep losing more in the market.

0 Likes
m72493
Journeyman III

I'm having the same issue.

Sometimes it can be after 1 hour, sometimes 2 hours, but during playing usually Warzone, I get black screen. Pc restart. Wattman message.

Latest drivers as its a new build PC. i9 10850k - 32gb ddr4 ram - 850w psu - RX 6800 

Tried all the fix, tips and tricks no avail. Only one I haven't tried is extracting the drivers and manually assigning them without installing Adrenalin. Don't want this as I like the software for clipping etc

I'm gonna try what the guy below suggests and uninstall drivers and try 20.9.1 and if that works, then ill update FROM that driver. If the crashes then come back I will uninstall and go back to 20.9.1 and leave it.

Ill let you know how I get on, let me know if you find a fix

0 Likes

did you fix the black screen problem. I cannot manage to fix it.

0 Likes
Sitou
Journeyman III

Hi

Having the same issue with 6900xt and 5900X, no oc. Corsair PSU 850W, and games in 1080p causes my PC reboot. I got the latest driver but it still crashing.

0 Likes

Euhm i kinda am thinking that maybe your psu might be the issue

Or you try the DDU delete driver and start fresh but i can't help think about the first option

I had before a heavy system as well which was running with the same Corsair psu then i decided to put in a more powerfull one and found a second hand 1200 watt version and poof problems solved

Since then i run my system with this powerhouse psu and am kinda sure that now no single card can get it on it knees

I have had up to four cards in my system before and still have 3 x 1500 watt ones in reserve in case the one i use dies

Even had 2 of the dual gpu cards running a while but the heat was insane.

0 Likes

I upgraded PSU to 1200 Platinum one and it still kept crashing. I Thought i fixed it later on, because it stopped doing that for almost 3 weeks and it did it again today once... this card is just potato.
Also I'm pretty sure Radeon Software keeps settings saved up until the crash point after which it gives a popout about Watttman restoring all settings to default due to unexpected system failure.

What kept me from crashing for these 3 weeks was forcing card to use vsync (keep max frames at 144), having 15% increased energy limit and had lowered max clock and voltage.

However it crashed today again in Anthem just after loading into the open world. After black screen i pressed reset and waited a little, then I had black screens on all 3 displays but I wanted to check something - if my PC was actually running and logging into windows - and it was, when I pressed play button my spotify started playing music, all displays saying no signal, only after I shutdown PC by holding power button and turning it on again, all displays start working immediately - IT IS DEFINETELY A CARD ISSUE AND NONE OTHER HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE IS NOT AT FAUL. So I replaced my old PSU for this expensive one for nothing ^^ I guess I will have to go back to NV camp once again.

(im using 6900 XT on hybrid cooling it's the ROG Strix LC OC version so i'm kinda sad as it's my first time using such cooled card and the temps are great... sad that the PCB is sh**)