cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

charris1984
Adept I

amd 6600xt crashes/times out during sleep

I built my pc a year ago. It has ran fine up until about a month ago. The amd gpu driver randomly crashes or times out during sleep mode. I have tried Clean install, update bios, rolling back to previous drivers, fast boot disabled, ddu, amd cleanup utility, disable ULPS. The only way ive been able to get the system to run stable is by only using the driver that installs through windows update. It ran for 3 or 4 days without issue. I don't know what to think about this. I am about ready to switch to nvidia but I really want to fix it. 

These are my specifications off the top of my head. 

Pc specs: 

CPU - i5-12400

GPU - sapphire nitro + 6600xt

Motherboard - b660m-a-d4

Ram - Gskill QVL list

OS - Windows 11 

PSU - Evga 550w Bronze

0 Likes
11 Replies
xAHMEDx
Adept I

same here rx 580

0 Likes
pbouna321
Adept I

Yup... Same. I am really disappointed in my first AMD GPU purchase. Will not buy another.

0 Likes
charris1984
Adept I

This is my first amd card too. I built my first pc in 2014 with nvidia and upgraded 3 years later, both I never had a problem with. They say that amd drivers are on par with nvidia but not from what I have seen. When did your problems begin?

0 Likes
HogWild99
Journeyman III

Have an RX 6500 XT and happens to me periodically too. Have done exactly what you have done, but this keeps reappearing. I believe from what I have been researching that it's probably a Windows issue.

I've been pulling my hair out over this!

0 Likes
charris1984
Adept I

I can't get any driver from AMD to work except windows update driver. Maybe it is Windows.  When I first built it I had this same issue for about 1 months, so its ran good probably 9 or 10 months out of a year. Makes no sense. Never had this problem with nvidia though.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Could you describe exactly what happens and the steps you follow to reproduce the issue? 

Is that when you put the whole system to sleep or when the monitor goes to sleep?

Have you noticed an error 22 in Device Manager?

0 Likes

Please Fix that Radeon software.. still randomly crashing or closing for no reason... annoying 

0 Likes

I set power options to 5 and 10 minutes for screen and pc. The screen goes to sleep after 5 minutes and wakes back up about 15 seconds later, this happens every time. After 10 minutes the screen goes to sleep for good. At this point Sometimes the screen will wake up and sometimes it wont without a hard reset. Sometimes the computer after waking from sleep, the GPU in device manager will be disabled until restart. If I am running radeon software, which I am just running the driver now, it will tell me a timeout occured but the gpu did not crash. So it either times out or crashes randomly when monitor sleeps or when waking from whole system sleep. It doesn't happen every time. There are a lot of kernel 411 and 400 in event viewer no 22. 411 Device had a problem starting. If I put the sleep mode on different times like 10 and 30 the screen doesn't wake back up but still the random crashes and timeouts. It seems like it happens randomly when the screen goes to sleep or later when pc wakes from sleep. Sometimes there are no crashes or timeouts.

0 Likes

I posted a detailed reply an hour ago with system specs, driver specs, crash conditions and Event Viewer Error IDs. Unfortunately, the mods seem to have deleted it for whatever reason - I spent over 30 minutes setting out all the details (and yes, it posted properly). Thanks a bunch.

In short, looks like these 6600XTs have a problem. I will be contacting Sapphire to see if they can replace the card, although I suspect it's a software/driver issue rather than hardware.

0 Likes

Yeah the first card had this issue. This is a different card than I started out with I dont know if I mentioned that earlier. Same problems but at some point in ran stable for some reason I will never know.

0 Likes

I have decided to switch to nvidia. I am waiting on my new card and going to rma this one. Uninstalled the card and removed it. While it is on intel uhd graphics 730 it had a screen flicker randomly. I switched hdmi cable for a premium one and this problem went away, after trying 3 cheap hdmi cables that I have. I am now wondering if this was my problem all along. I doubt it though. Why would a hdmi cable (cables) cause the pc to stay on, crash, timeout, during sleep mode. Intel graphics center says hdtv is 4k capable even though it isn't so I bought this cable to see if it solves the flicker. More than likely the problems are not related. 

0 Likes