cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jasonamd
Adept II

AMD 5700XT + 3700X + X470 system instability

Build: ASRock X470 Gaming ITX/ac (Combo-AM4 AGESA 1.0.0.1), AMD Radeon 5700XT, Ryzen 3700X, Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 3000 (8GBx2), Corsair SF750 (750W)

AMD Chipset driver: 1.07.07.0725

AMD GPU driver: 19.7.1, 19.7.2

Issue: During installation of 19.7.1/19.7.2 driver, Windows will crash and will be unable to load correctly. I then have to run DDU to get rid of the driver in Safe Mode and the default driver will be stable. I have done a fresh install of Windows 10 (1903). Issue does not occur with a Ryzen 2700X or Radeon VII installed for whatever reason.

Troubleshooting: I cleared CMOS after switching out the 2700X for the 3700X. I have run DDU in Safe Mode on a fresh Windows 10 (1903) install to uninstall drivers, and then tried installing only the 19.7.1 or 19.7.2 drivers (i.e., no Adrenalin software) but the PC will crash during install and will not boot into Windows. No error is generated in Windows Event Viewer. I am suspicious that either the motherboard or AMD driver are trying to force PCIe 4.0 when a Ryzen 3000 series CPU is present, which isn't supposed to be supported on the motherboard.

ASRock sent me a beta BIOS 3.41 (AGESA 1.0.0.3AB) for X470 Gaming ITX/ac. I can now install the AMD driver. There are also now options to set PCIe to Gen3 (which is the default setting).

10 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please can you try updating to the latest BIOS and let me know if you still have the same issue?

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X470%20Gaming-ITXac/index.asp#BIOS

0 Likes

Unfortunately, that BIOS is for a different motherboard. I'm still waiting on newer AGESA from ASRock.

0 Likes

I've corrected the link, are you on the latest BIOS?

Please could you try running DDU in safe mode and then downloading the full 19.7.2 package from www.amd.com/drivers to see if that helps?

0 Likes

I am on latest BIOS 3.30 which has Combo AM4 AGESA 1.0.0.1. I cleared CMOS after switching out the 2700X for the 3700X. I have run DDU in Safe Mode on a fresh Windows 10 (1903) install to uninstall drivers, and then tried installing only the 19.7.1 or 19.7.2 drivers (i.e., no Adrenalin software) but the PC will crash during install and will not boot into Windows. No error is generated in Windows Event Viewer.

I am wondering if the driver is trying to use PCIe 4.0 with the 3700X + 5700XT installed and this is creating a conflict with BIOS. The BIOS only has options for Gen1/Gen2/Auto for PCIe. I have also tried Gen2 instead of Auto, but that makes no difference  So long as the Microsoft default display adapter driver is installed, the 3700X/5700XT runs fine with no instability, although I can't launch various games due to lack of supported features (DirectX, etc). If I put the 2700X in, I can install 19.7.2 drivers and the 5700XT plays games/3D Mark without instability.

jasonamd
Adept II

I have found another person with similar issue on X470 platform.

forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11991&PID=65436&#65436

0 Likes
m1adam
Adept II

its very highly the bios is the culprit i have a asrock b45o fatality also on agesa 1.0.0.1 my 5700xt crashes as and when it wants. i switched to msi x570 gaming plus now im not having any crashes its not the drivers its asrock they need to roll out newer agesa for the pre x570 boards

m1adam
Adept II

seems asrock wants people to buy their x570 for quick fix damn asrock asrock b450.jpgasrock x570.jpg

Yeah, I'm not buying their crap again. They have been last ones to update their BIOS and they don't communicate anything.

0 Likes

its a good thing i switched to msi as you can see even the msi x470 are getting bios updates asrock is just either slow or just forcing people to jump x570. PCIE4 on gen3 boards is a no no its causing alot of issues rather than help improve performance. I read on reddit people are getting issues with their nvme drives.

msi_x470.jpg

0 Likes

If ASRock would just communicate their intentions, I would feel better. I have no idea whether they intend to update their AGESA support any further for pre-X570 chipsets which is ridiculous. This error is part AMD and part ASRock fault and they need to take responsibility, not just fall back on better buy an X570 motherboard.

0 Likes