Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nemic
Adept I

AMD 5700 XT weird noise

Hello.

Summary

So I have tried to "fix" this for a couple of days with no luck.

It started with software update 19.12.3, fun thing is that even if I go back to 19.12.1 or 2 the noise persist, even with the latest drivers it still doesn't go away, I had to go back as far as 19.8.1, thing is I cannot play certain games because of old driver.

Problem

So, I am most certain that it's not coil whine, you can describe the sound as buzzing/electrical interference/electrical glitching, not the "normal sound of coil whine".

It happens when I am scrolling, hovering over icons and moving the mouse, even if I have some applications up, like Radeon software, it is quiet when I am playing games.

Why I am certain that it is not coil whine is because it happens in certain drivers. What is causing this in the drivers I do not know. I bought my GPU in november, had no problem with it, updated to latest drivers as soon as they got released, but when I installed the 19.12.3, it just happened.

I have tried my best to get a proper sound sample.

Is anyone having a similar problem or am I just the only one?

12 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

In general, graphics cards experience this kind of coil sound when they deliver extremely high FPS. So, you may use a FPS limiter (like FRTC) or VSYNC (with game settings)...

If that is the case, why doesn't I get this sound when playing games and having above 200 fps?

Why am I getting it on desktop when I am scrolling and hovering icons?

I even get little sounds from it when typing....
I would understand if it is exactly how you describe it, but it isn't, it is totally reverse for me.

It is not normal for you to hear this sound on the desktop. Check the GPU clock speeds as you browse your desktop. Make sure that the GPU on your desktop is running at minimum clock speeds. If you experience high frequencies on the desktop, try changing your monitor hertz value. Use FRTC or Chill for games. This noise is probably to come from the coils. This kind of noise usually occurs when the GPU is forced by a process. If the GPU is not enforced and noise is occurred, contact the store where you purchased the GPU.

It is unfortunate that you hear excessive coil noise when the GPU is running. A problem caused by the production phase. But I guess it's not considered a manufacturing error.

0 Likes

So I have tried checking the GPU clock value with radeon software.

When I am scrolling it goes from 0 to ~10%, highest I saw was nearly 50%.

Everytime I scroll or do something it spikes up to ~5-10% then when I stop it goes back to 0%

I have tried changing my monitor hertz, nothing changed, sound still happening.

If by "GPU is forced by a process" you mean hardware acceleration then no, I have disable it on every application I have, even chrome which I am using as my default browser. if not then I don't know how to check.

0 Likes

If I were you, I'd follow this ...
- I'd uninstall old drivers with DDU in Windows safe mode.
- I'd download the latest AMD driver.
- I'd extract the driver file to a folder with 7zip program.
- I'd use Windows Device Manager to install AMD display driver with extracted folder.
- I'd check to see if there is an application running in the background that is loaded into the GPU with the help of Windows Task Manager.

If there is no program loaded on the GPU in the background and I still hear this noise, I would contact the place where I purchased the GPU. Good luck...

Thank you for your help, atleast it has stopped when I am in desktop.

But now I hear it ingame, so I will use either vsync or FRTC/Chill like you suggested above.

But when installing drivers like that is it normal that I don't have the radeon software?

Is it something that you would recommend installing?

0 Likes

If I were you, I'd do this...

- I'd install Radeon Software with these... (...
- I'd extract "ccc2_install.exe" in the driver file to a folder with 7zip program.

- I'd install "ccc-next64.msi" MSI installer file with extracted folder.

...)

- I'd back up the folder for Radeon Software. (The path is C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext)

- I'd uninstall Radeon Software. (Right-click on the MSI installer file.)
- I'd used Radeon Software with backed up folder when it is necessary. (Start program is RadeonSoftware.exe)
- If I didn't need Radeon Software, I would prevent it from running in the background with Windows Task Manager.

In my opinion, Radeon Software is necessary because the software will allow you to change driver settings, will use FRTC and Chill and etc... However, you do not need to run this software in the background after the necessary changes are made. 

carapoes
Journeyman III

the driver updates from the AMD site wil not work because the have problems with the lateley drivers and looking a new driver update/a lot of work and this problem is already the last 6 or 8days happend and stil working on it.

0 Likes
mishngun
Adept I

nemic‌ did you solve it? 
I have exactly the same sound now in games! I play PES 2020 usually and now I can’t even play a single match. Game feels ok on menu but always crash in match! I’ve got a black screen with no signal and then only reboot helps. I also tried all the drivers. Nothing help

0 Likes

Yes and no, I followed mstfbsrn980 instruction, the noise was gone when I only had drivers installed, but when I installed the software it started again. So right now, I am hoping that it's just something with the software that needs to get updated rather than my GPU.

0 Likes
mishngun
Adept I

So why didn’t you just delete this software?

0 Likes