cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

fromage
Adept I

AMD 20.3.1 & 20.4.1 Drivers - Blackscreen issues 5600xt

Thought I would add my experiences of the recent AMD drivers including 20.4.1 and the 2 previous drivers.
I have a RX 5600 XT (Sapphire) & a Ryzen 3600, both currently with the latest drivers 20.4.1 and also the latest chipset drivers. The proper uninstall/install procedure followed and Windows 10 fully updated.
I have only had this PC built for about 2 weeks and have had the black screen issues and also occasional restarts (only mid game and never in any CPU/RAM/GPU stress testing) and temperatures are also very low. I analysed the dump files and its always graphics card/driver related. It can happen from 5 mins into gaming or even up to 2 hours in (CS:GO, RE3 & COD MW)
Not being into PC Gaming for about 15 years I had no idea of the problems otherwise I would have just pay a tiny bit extra and got a RTX 2060 which have some stable drivers. If this was a new thing I would understand and just hold out for some new drivers that I would expect would fix the issue but seeing the issue is very widespread and not been resolved for over 6 months its just crazy.
I feel like my only hope is trying to return the RX 5600 XT (which is only 2 weeks old) but also very frustrating is the retailer is saying their is nothing actually wrong with the card/hardware and that its a software issue even though I'm explaining that this software/drivers are fundamental in the functioning of the graphics card and currently its ultimately faulty and not fit for purpose.
Is there any hope in this getting resolved soon ?
20 Replies
misteright
Adept II

Never had any blackscreen with rx 5600 xt. But i do have problem with freesync and 75hz refresh rate which is suck.

0 Likes
super_breizh
Adept I

Well a bug can be due to any level of flawed logic in the source code, it can be due to the whole conception of the software having to be re-imagined or literally just one digit being wrong, so it's generally impossible to give a prediction on the amount of time needed to fix it.

Though I will add that the more people report on crashes and bugs and provide accurate details on the context of their crashes the easier it is to identify the source of their issues and fix them.

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sun 4/5/2020 2:46:44 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x0000000000000003)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFCC03AE8B8010, 0xFFFFF804867D0818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Sat 4/4/2020 6:42:19 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040420-16437-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFD683870E1010, 0xFFFFF80575AF0818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.

On Sat 4/4/2020 6:22:41 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040420-13359-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF8008B7309F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF8886838F7010, 0xFFFFF8008B7309F0, 0x0, 0xD)
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0353575.inf_amd64_8e19095ae833d985\B353558\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Wed 3/25/2020 9:53:15 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032520-16390-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFCE8FC5C6B010, 0xFFFFF8034FB90818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)

On Sun 3/22/2020 12:34:16 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032220-13218-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: iomap64.sys (0xFFFFF8015A6A1966)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFCF0080CD7575, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8015A6A1966, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\iomap64.sys
product: ASUS Kernel Mode Driver for Windows
company: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
description: ASUS Kernel Mode Driver for NT
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: iomap64.sys (ASUS Kernel Mode Driver for NT , ASUSTeK Computer Inc.).
Google query: iomap64.sys ASUSTeK Computer Inc. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

My crash dump like yours?

0 Likes

Yes apart from that bottom that seems unrelated to the graphics card, I get the following faulting "caused by address"

atikmpag.sys

dxgkrnl.sys

dxgmms2.sys

Which are graphics related.

20.4.1 seemed to work fine on Resident Evil 3 but no other games, I have since gone to 20.2.2 and at least I can play for longer than 10 mins in CS:GO and COD MW though I have had still had 1 crash since.

0 Likes

iomap64.sys (ASUS Kernel Mode Driver for NT) may cause delays with your system. Uninstall ASUS-owned programs. Uninstall ASUS-owned services if you can do. For example: that command (cmd should run as an admin):

sc delete iomap
sc delete asio
0 Likes
warsun
Challenger

Set your driver to default

Uninstall your driver an install this one.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-9-1 

0 Likes
nbdt
Adept I

^ I don't know why you're recommending to install an old driver that doesn't really support the RX 5000 series. 

I have pretty much the same issue as you. I have done a clean install of windows 10 and installed the bare minimum of software with a handful of games for testing. And it still crashes(bsod, black screen, reset) I can't return the card because it works perfectly fine on another computer with the same specifications as mine. I had the card for a month now and I can't really use my computer properly. The only option I have is to sell this for a lower price and buy a 2060. I lost money and I lost so much time trying to fix it that I'm perfectly okay with spending a bit of money if it guarantees stability.

Model of the card is the Gigabyte 5600 XT Gaming OC

Tried all drivers 20.1.3 to 20.4.1

Format

Clean install windows

Basically every 'fix' that I can see on the internet.

0 Likes

If you share the informations (CPU+RAM+GPU+Mobo+PSU+...) of your hardwares under your comments, a person who sees and solves a similar problem may help you with a little knowledge. 

0 Likes
nbdt
Adept I

I have an existing thread here Gigabyte RX 5600 XT Gaming issues 

My specs : 

Windows 10 Pro 1909

Ryzen 5 2600

Asus B450-F ROG STRIX

Corsair 16GB Vengeance 3200

Gigabyte 5600 XT Gaming

Seasonic m12 700w

Samsung 250gb 850 evo 

0 Likes

I can't see a reason why this system doesn't work stably. But if you have a restart problem, it may be useful to try your system with the stable system's PSU. Your PSU may be reaching the end of its life. You can set GPU power limit to -20% or -30% with WattMan for decreasing PSU load. You may need to also check your processor temperature. Graphics cards do not usually cause restarting problems. The components of your hardwares you choose have high quality. I hope you find out what the problem is.

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

I have this problem too. This is my PC build.

Window 10 64bit

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

ASUS ROG STRIX 5600XT 6GB

AM4 Ryzen ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS 

HYPERX FURY 16GB BUS 3200

POWER SUPPLY  COOLER MASTER ATX  MWE GOLD 650 WATTS

HDD 2 TB WD BLACK

SSD 250 GB WD Blue NVMe

0 Likes

But also your hardwares are very good. You shouldn't have a problem. I don't know the cause of the problem but I would like to share the following informations.

Your mobo wants to 8+4PIN CPU power supported PSU. This is not necessary but the mobo may want a good PSU than yours.
Annotation 2020-04-07 130137.png

Because as you can see, your PSU only supports 8PIN CPU power.

Annotation 2020-04-07 130418.png

Annotation 2020-04-07 130454.png

Obviously I think your PSU has very good quality. You shouldn't have a problem. But if I had x570, I would have chosen a better PSU. Because the capacity of your PSU is very close to the system requirements. This can cause your PSU to become warmer. It may cause your hardware to overheat. Don't worry about the money you give to PSU. Because PSU choose is very important. If you cannot stabilize your system despite all attempts, make sure you use your consumer rights. If new hardware is troubling, it will lead to bigger problems in the future.

0 Likes
nbdt
Adept I

I have the B450 board so the 8pin is sufficient for me. I did every suggestion made on the forums. But here's the thing, I don't have any crashes for about 2 days since I set the power limit of the card to 30% on afterburner. No negligible performance loss either and I was able to oc my 5600xt to the max 1820mhz and 1860mhz for memory. I don't think my psu is causing any issues because it's fairly new, it's a seasonic m12 700w unit and it's 2 years old. I hope this can help. I virtually did every suggestion on the forums, even tried a fresh install, but this one might have permanently fixed it. I'll update in a week if a crash occurs. Tell me if it works!

0 Likes

What brand is your rx 5600xt? All i know is the power limit of the card is only 10% max or am i missing something?ny

Reaching 1820mhz core clock actually easy for this card even with undervolting. But memory OC is different things, you can reach stable 1860mhz is already achievment. Have you try it with heavy game after OCing mem clock? I mean 3dmark alone is not enough for streest test nowadays because newer games are far heavier that a streest test in 3dmark.

0 Likes
nbdt
Adept I

A bit of a correction, what I meant to say is -30% my 5600xt is the Gigabyte Gaming with the tri fan design, I just played AC Odyssey for an hour and a half and no issues so far.

0 Likes

Man that is awesome. I'm using MSI RX 5600 XT MECH, not my first choice so i kinda dissapointed.

I can reach 1820Mhz core clock easily by downvolting to 915. But the mem clock is different things. I can only hit 1620Mhz max which is suck.. But glad that core clock has a bigger impact for gaming than memory clock.

0 Likes
ken429
Adept II

I'm in the same Bug Check boat with my RX 5600 XT's except I'm using them for mining using the Claymore miner.  I have the system set up with the 2-5600's and three GTX 1600 cards.  The system is using the Intel GPU built into the G4400 CPU for display.  I never seen or heard of the Bug Check error until I made the "mistake" of trying the AMD cards.  I have two other miners running NVIDA cards using the built in Intel GPU and they have been running for years without an issue.  These two miners share a screen and mouse via a two way TVSmart KVM Switch.

Anyway, I was experiencing a Bug Check once every two weeks or so on the system with the 5600's.  Then I got cute and tried to use a second two way TVSmart Switch connected to the miner with the 5600's and my Home Server.  Once I connected the Miner with the 5600's to the Switch I got the Bug Check error ever few minutes!  It did seem to extend the time between Bug Checks by a few minutes if the Miner was not selected on the switch but that may have been fluke.  So whatever the driver problem the KVM Switch brings it out immediately and often!

The RX 5600 XT's are great miners but the driver flaw is a giant pain.  Please, please fix the #$%^ isuue.  I want to buy more of these cards for mining but I not until they work correctly.

0 Likes

Does anybody form AMD look at this forum?  What do I have to do to get a response.  I can make the 5600 driver fail at will!

0 Likes

20.7.1 is now available, give it a whirl

0 Likes

hardcoregames,

Looks like 20.7.1 got replaced with 20.7.2.  Neither mentions fixing the infamous Bug Check error.  But I will try installing the latest driver and setting up the KVM Switch on the next rainy too see if anything changed.  In the meantime the old driver without the KVM Switch rolls along with no Bug Checks for more than a week of 24-7 mining.

0 Likes