cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ztkraptor
Journeyman III

Alt Tabbing causing black screen

Here I thought I would give AMD a try again as I was always Team Red deep down inside.
Well, I can't even barely play games, or do things without drivers crashing.
I have a 6900XT and a 5900X system that I had built, and the drivers are just atrotious.  
Playing a game, and trying to alt tab is like russian roulette.  
I never know when my screen might go black for 2 minutes and my game is dead.

This is very unfortunate as I really love AMD.

12 Replies

So because you alt tab out of a game all the time and the screen turns black, and the game might crash you say the drivers are the problem ?

I tab out some games and i have no issues on my end. Even if a game did crash or does crash, i don't blame AMD drivers, its because some games won't behave right if i tab out. Its the game issue, not the drivers. 

0 Likes

0 Likes

It is a driver issue, happening to different cards with different drivers now...It even says that in the release notes

• Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.

By "Brief" what they actually mean is - you might have to restart your PC using the power button.

For ztkraptor,  try using 22.10.3 and disable hardware acceleration completely on everything + make sure sharpening is disabled in the AMD software.

Modinstaller
Adept I

I have no problems for 99% of my games.

WoW is very problematic. Whenever I go fullscreen, alt-tabbing is a russian roulette, as you said. I might or might not have to wait 1 minute for the drivers to recover, or 5 minutes for my PC to reboot (sometimes I even have to long press my power button...).

6900 XT, 12700kf

For now, try to disable hardware acceleration in everything that use it. 

Are you using multi monitor setup?

0 Likes
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

May need to use the WHQL drivers or possibly the Pro drivers. I know a lot of people are switching over to those now.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes

the whql and pro drivers are also wish drivers, didnt help with my dx11 stuttering at all.

Zolex
Adept III

can't you try borderless fullscreen? thats what you use if you want to alt-tab between games and windows.

0 Likes
Drakyry
Adept II

This is my as well. Have you found a fix yet? There're these rumours about disabling MPO in the registry (you can search for it on google, Nvidia even published executable files that you can enable/disable it with) helping.

I'll probably try that when I have the time because as of now my system crashes 2-3 times a day when alt tabbing. Sometimes it recovers after 20-30 seconds but most of the time it does not

0 Likes

I exactly have same problem. And 1 diffrencie I found out it is while these random black screens happen If I have jak plugged headset sound also keeps playing but if I am listening from my monitor which gets audio from graphic card via DisplayPort also sound stops this making me think this is directly connected to graphic card or maybe to DisplayPort. Did you figured out a answer to this yet?

0 Likes
alicano10
Adept I

I just figured out it is because of amdfreesync. Try to close it from amd adrenalin and problem must be gone. I hope it works for you too.

Mate, you just saved my life. Have no idea how did you found it but its working for me. Thank you 

0 Likes