cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Sycotek
Adept I

All of the latest drivers unstable - driver hang/crash

win 10 am4 rig running 6800xt and cant get drivers newer then 22.3.2 to run stable.

Have cleared the drivers with DDU and also with AMD cleanup util (same thing anyway right?)

But using Adobe products with Ai or gpu accel and every now and then the screen goes black and the driver hangs for several minutes.

I have tried sfc rebuilds
Have disabled SAM

- only option now is to revert drivers and manually edit the adobe gpu text file so I can use my GPU in their apps.

0 Likes
2 Solutions

I figured out the issue was chromium browsers

I didnt realise edge was chromium based - switched to firefox and the issue is gone last 7 days.

if i load up edge or chrome i will get driver hangs at some point when editing in LR PS PP or resolve and or just browsing the internet

View solution in original post

corsair keyboard perhaps? i've had issues with them before

[ 5800X3D | Aorus 6950XT | MSI B550 | H115i Pro | G.SKILL 32GB 3600Mhz | 850W Gold | Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz | HP Reverb G2 (v2) ]

View solution in original post

15 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

What power supply make/model and what are the rest of your PC specs?

BIOS up to date on  your motherboard?

Do you have the latest chipset drivers installed from AMD.com or Intel.com? (I don't know your specs)

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

I figured out the issue was chromium browsers

I didnt realise edge was chromium based - switched to firefox and the issue is gone last 7 days.

if i load up edge or chrome i will get driver hangs at some point when editing in LR PS PP or resolve and or just browsing the internet

Nope I was wrong 

Now 3 hangs in less then an hour 

Driver crashes and resumes after 2-3 minutes just working in Lightroom and Photoshop 

0 Likes
sur6e
Elite

22.5.1 is the recommended version.

[ 5800X3D | Aorus 6950XT | MSI B550 | H115i Pro | G.SKILL 32GB 3600Mhz | 850W Gold | Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz | HP Reverb G2 (v2) ]
0 Likes
Sycotek
Adept I

So rolled back to even 22.3.1 still hanged

upgraded to windows 11 still hanged

replaced keyboard and mouse - still hanged (would only hang when im typing, moving mouse etc)

then i rolled back bios AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.6b from 1.2.0.7 - so far completely stable

adding back all my old keyboard and mouse still stable

running asus x570 tuf plus wifi

0 Likes

Nope drive hanged again today

will try removing keyboard and mouse again

0 Likes

corsair keyboard perhaps? i've had issues with them before

I was actually in the process of uninstalling all the keyboard and mouse software and found that fixed it

googling icue black screen yielded results!

looks like combination of having HWinfo and icue = black screen

thanks for the heads up

Isnt the issue - still happening with stock keyboard and mouse.

What I have found so far is unplugging and replugging the hdmi cable restarts the gpu somehow and I can continue working.

0 Likes

One simple question.

Did you set Firefox as your default browser?  If not Windows will automatically restore it as default.  Also be careful not to allow Windows to reset Edge by popups asking to set Edge as default.  

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
schldskjoirz
Adept III

Did you try only drivers without Adrenalin? This solved my problems. For example on Photoshop, drawing line with a soft brush was like 5 fps slideshow + quite a big delay. Now without Adrenalin, it's more like smooth 1000 fps movement. I had also random blackscreens that lasted around half a second.

On my PC the AMD drivers are working fine so the source of the problems must be Adrenalin.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
• 5900X • 6900XT • X570 • NH-D15S • 16Gb@3600Mhz • 1000W • 65" TV (HDMI) • Sony 5.1 audio (toslink)
0 Likes

No I haven't

Can give it a go but when it's working its working fine

But then the display drops out until I unplug replug

0 Likes
rilanthier
Journeyman III

I was having drivers crash at least once a day and followed those instructions to disable MPO in windows. Since then (early December) I haven't crashed once on 22.11.2   

hope that helps!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/yvyqc7/disabling_multiplane_overlay_mpo_fixed_all/?utm_source=... 

Same for me for months. That fixed it.

0 Likes
MikeySCT
Challenger

Sometimes, when I read posts about AMD cards crashing, I'd be quite puzzled, and more often than not, I'd wonder if the fault lies with hardware conflict, or software related, or just the user. I've been using AMD and nVidia cards for years, since ATi 9700 Pro and nVidia Riva TNT2 days. I've honestly only had minor issues with drivers, mostly perhaps crashing in one or two games (usually newer games) or performance related issue.

Yeah a couple of times with vid acceleration on Chrome page resulting in black screen. Waiting for newer drivers would be the best solution. The issue was fixed after a driver revision or two, and yes, I did report the issue via AMD bug reporting tool.

Why did I say 'user', perhaps a bad driver install, some just install a newer driver over older one, some might have simply uninstalled without using DDU or AMDCleanuputility. I've always run DDU in ;Safe Mode' without net connection for best result. So far, with my Nitro+ RX 6900 XT, performance has been great, though RT isn't quite up to scratch. something I think the RX 7900 XTX would do better, especially in Metro Exodus PC Enhanced which is my fav RT game (only RT game I care about).

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2