cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

brt
Adept I

After sleep mode graphics are not responding/freezing

I've been sitting on Windows 10 LTSB 1607 for a long time with no problems.

I've noticed that there is a new Windows LTSC version 1809 (which is not a preview and is a release) so I decided to upgrade. Everyting went smooth, but there started strange things happening after wake up from sleep mode: any GPU intensive applications hang and it looks like they restart the graphics stack. It can be noticed in browser, viewing any embedded video, any video played in MPC-HC. If you reboot, everyting works OK until computer sleeps.

Also the whole system becomes sluggish, screen change with Win+P becomes very slow and unresponsive. This goes only for the latest drivers (18.12.2 or 18.12.3), I've installed 17.7.2 - the problem is not present. I don't know from which driver version it started from, since it worked ok on latest drivers with Win10 1607.

Also I've noticed im MSI afterburner, that the GPU clock and memory frequency get set very low for some reason (500 core and 300 mem while it should be 972 on 1250 respectively).

So about the config (while its clearly a software problem):

AMD Graphics Card
MSI R9 280 3G
Desktop or Laptop System
Desktop
Operating System
Windows 10 64bit LTSC 1809
Driver version installed
Latest WHQL (?) 18.12.2 or 18.12.3 beta (tried both)
Display Devices
Monitor via DVI and TV via HDMI.
Motherboard + Bios Revision
MSI FXA990 Gaming, BIOS - latest available.
CPU/APU
AMD FX8350
Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
Cooler master 520w
RAM
8 GB ram

So for me its clearly a bug in the latest drivers that has to be fixed which I wanted to report to the driver team.

14 Replies

These issues are generally caused by third party graphics controllers...like Afterburner. They conflict with AMD and Wattman settings and controls.Use the search function of the forum and see the dozens of identical posts...caused by using Afterburner, trixx, Msi, Asus, etc. All were fixed by deleting (not disabling) these programs.

Delete it and reinstall the AMD drivers.

You also need to disable 'Fast Start"

Windows 10 Fast Startup could be detrimental to your computer

power options

If this is the first time you’ve messed with these settings, you’ll need click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” to make the Fast Startup option available for configuration.

available options

Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast startup (recommended),” along with other shutdown settings. Just use the check box to enable or disable Fast Startup. Save your changes and shut down your system to test it out.

fast startup

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on

After turning hibernate on, run through the steps again and you should see both the Hibernate and Fast Startup options.

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, so, while I don't agree with your suggestions, I've conducted the tests. What I did:

• Unistalled afterburner and bundled rivatuner statistics server. Disabled "fast start" in power settings, that you've recommended to toggle. Rebooted.
  • Installed latest so called "stable" driver 18.12.2-Dec12. Rebooted.
  • Tested the graphics by launching a video. No problem.
  • Sent computer to sleep, wait for 10 seconds, powered it back on.
  • I immediately noticed the lag on monitor powerup. Launched the video in MPC-HC - system became unresponsive, cursor could not move for around 7 seconds - the video did not start playing. The exact bug I'm talking about.

After that to prove my point I've installed 18.9.3-Oct5 which I've had not yet mentioned did not have the problem described in OP, rebooted. Did the same test - BOOM, no problem after sleep. The monitor turn on is instant, the video plays after sleep perfectly, emdedded media in browser do not lag and work OK.

MSI afterburner never caused problems in the past. I'm also not satisfied with an advice to delete the program I've used for years to monitor card/os temps in games without any problems (which is requred because of the flaws some drivers bring). I dodged that issue the driver had with resetting the fan to 20% and overheating and noticed abnormal temperatures, which saved my GPU.

Sadly, none of your recommendations did work.

Please, pass this issue to the driver team to get it fixed.

EDIT: misspelled the driver version. The one I tried on was indeed stable 18.12.2-Dec12, not 18.12.3-Dec19.

" I dodged that issue the driver had with resetting the fan to 20% and overheating and noticed abnormal temperatures, which saved my GPU."

Like this?

"MSI afterburner never caused problems in the past. I'm also not satisfied with an advice to delete the program I've used for years to monitor card/os temps in games without any problems "

Things change...notice any new features of the AMD drivers? Why you have to uninstall Afterburner instead of disable it is because when its installed, changes are made to the registry. But have it your way.

A much better way to check your GPU performance is GPU-Z GPU-Z Graphics Card GPU Information Utility

If you want to report a issue to AMD > Online Service Request | AMD

0 Likes

kingfish написал(а):

Like this?

No, It was caused by a bug in driver itself that set the card to permanent 20% fan: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3up8r2/amd_bugged_new_drivers_killed_my_gpu_and_other...

Its an old story, but you have to be ready for everything.

kingfish написал(а):

Things change...notice any new features of the AMD drivers? Why you have to uninstall Afterburner instead of disable it is because when its installed, changes are made to the registry. But have it your way.

Because you literally said to delete, and not disable:

kingfish написал(а):

These issues are generally caused by third party graphics controllers...like Afterburner. They conflict with AMD and Wattman settings and controls.Use the search function of the forum and see the dozens of identical posts...caused by using Afterburner, trixx, Msi, Asus, etc. All were fixed by deleting (not disabling) these programs.

Delete it and reinstall the AMD drivers.

So I tried to do it the most clean way possible to test things out.

Sadly I can't tell what feature caused that hang after sleep to happen, but from the looks AMD have updated lots of things in their Relive overlay feature, which I enjoy using.

I am aware of alternatives like GPU-Z, but as far as I know they are not capable of providing OSD overlays with its info.

Thanks for the report link, I'll try using it.

I would like to say thanks for being somewhat civil in not completely bashing someone for what you feel was not good advice. You could have been nicer though.

Just an FYI, Afterburner is and has been the cause of many stability issues so as a rule it's best to uninstall any program that tweaks a default program or drivers function. For at least diagnosis purposes while narrowing down a problem. Nobody suggested you can't or should not reinstall it after solving your problem. Now that being said AMD's Wattman is NOT COMPATIBLE with Afterburner. If you install the AMD driver with Wattman you must leave Wattman at defaults or just install the driver only package from AMD if you are going to use Afterburner. I have used Afterburner a lot over the years so I understand your fondness. The advice however while not fixing your issue was VERY SOUND ADVICE and absolutely aids in getting to a fix.

NO USER HERE HAS ANY ABILITY TO PASS THINGS TO ENGINEERING.

These are USER TO USER FORUMS ONLY.

This is fully explained in the links in the forum headers.

You only complained to a fellow user who was kind enough to offer you help!

Over the last year and a half, I have experience many drivers that work on one card and not another and some with issues on all AMD products. AMD should be doing a better job IMHO, but please be nice to the AMD USERS THAT HELP HERE. Especially when they are often the only help you get for your AMD product. That certainly isn't our fault.

If you want help from AMD or would just like to complain to AMD kingfish‌ already gave you the link but here it is again:  Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes
belengthy
Journeyman III

Same issue here, even down to specs. R9 280, FX 8350, Windows 10 version 1809, DVI and HDMI both in use, etc. Only difference is motherboard; mine's an ASRock 970 Extreme3.

System is fine after a reboot. As soon as it wakes from the sleep the problems start. Monitors are slow to wake and videos/gifs hang my system briefly (tested all browsers). Only fix has been to use the October drivers. Have tried drivers up to 19.1.1 with no luck.

Nice seeing that I'm not alone with my problem. Just tested the latest drivers (19.2.2) with a hope for a fix - nope, problem still present. Even though the changenotes say, that a problem with 2 devices connected being laggy (TV and Monitor) is fixed.

brt
Adept I

While the changelog says that the issue is fixed in 19.3.1, sadly its not.

From short sleep the system looks stable, but after a long sleep - still the same slugish hangs in viewing videos in browser, slow response time, etc...

0 Likes

I have the exact problem.  My RX 580 gets locked at the lowest speed after waking from sleep.  Latest Windows build.  When I then reboot it gets stuck, as does trying to put it back to sleep, and I have to "hard reboot" using the power button.  I too use MSI Afterburner.  

My laptop: ASUS ROG GL702ZC - R7 1700/RX 580

Sorry to hear about your trouble. While you are having a similar issue you have very different systems from the OP and likely not necessarily the same underlying issues.

Usually the hardwired sleep functions on a laptop are just not the same as desktops, although the Windows OS's interference in proper sleep functions is similar. 

Certainly driver issues can cause problems too. As well as corruption from 3rd party tweakers. 

Luckily getting things fixed up again you can follow a pretty standard play book unless you truly do have a real driver or hardware issue but most the time you just have to get updated and reset to proper defaults. 

First I would ask a couple questions :

Is your Windows updated fully to 1809 with all updates installed even optional?

Is your laptop with bios and drivers fully up to date from this support page for your laptop?

ROG Strix GL702ZC Driver & Tools | Laptops | ASUS USA 

Once you know that is done lets talk about trying to fix this issue if possible. 

Download the latest driver for your GPU and have it ready.

Download DDU from wagnardsoft_com and have it ready.

Now uninstall AFTERBURNER and any other cpu or gpu tweaking software you have installed that is not from AMD.

These softwares are known to conflict with the drivers causing many issues. Afterburner in particular is the worst about this, not that it is bad software just bad while trying to fix an issue.

I realize you want to get the most out of your laptops performance and once we have you running correctly again you can do  as you choose and tinker with it again if you want. AMD does not recommend you do this as they provide all the tools in the driver to optimize you products within specification. On a laptop you can very quickly get out of control causing issues if not permanent problems. Not saying that you have done that but this needs to be removed forever just for at least the duration of getting you running correctly again. Just removing a variable. I wold however strongly recommend not using it and using the settings available within Radeon Settings. You can do what works for you though once things are running well again. 

I highly recommend you disable Windows 10 Fast Startup and Hibernation. If not both at least Fast Startup. As in caches old data including old driver information that corrupts drivers as Windows loads. If you chose to enable it again after all is running well again you you can do that. If you are on an SSD you absolutely don't need it at all IMHO. It only causes issues. 

Now disconnect from the Internet  and run DDU from safe mode. Follow the included instructions it explains all of this. 

Once rebooted, stay disconnected from the Internet. Re-Install the GPU driver. Choose clean install if available. If it isn't an option that's good as DDU already cleaned everything up. 

Test things out and if all is well I would recommend running the machine a few days before tweaking things again. 

If not report back here and I would also at that point look for some help from you laptops maker on the issue. 

You can ask AMD support for help here if you like but on those laptops they have a lot of custom hardware under the hood that the laptop makers know best. 

AMD support:  Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes
Lynus21
Journeyman III

Here's a possible solution. Find in UEFI the "enhanced power saving" option, and turn it off. It worked on my PC with rx5800 and 6600xt with newest driver.

0 Likes

The following is a possible solution. The "enhanced power saving" option can be found in the UEFI. Turn it off. My PC with a RX5800 and a 6600XT worked with the latest drivers.

0 Likes
Floyd01
Journeyman III

I have the same problem after reinstalling windows 11 on a new nvme ssd (I did not have this problem before)

I have a RX590, I know well the bugs of amd I always managed to correct them more or less. but this bug there I dry a little.

After each standby, the videos on the browser are not played. On the other hand, the videos on the disk read with vlc works

I tried several different solutions
- uninstall reinstall the 23.2.2 drivers (uninstall with ddu and reinstall in safe mode)
- disable fast boot in power options
- uninstall afterburner
- try with drivers adrenalin version 23.2.2, 23.2.1, 22.11.2, also amd pro edition 22.q4. (always the same problem)
- disable power saving in the bios

If other people are in the same case and have solved the problem I am interested. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
jamie56k
Journeyman III

Hello,

I can also confirm I’m having the same issues even without fast start up and other 3rd party devices installed. I’ve made a bug report to AMD using adrenaline software but I doubt it’ll be acknowledged. It’s definitely an AMD issue.

0 Likes