cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

aethelbert
Adept I

After seven years use, AMD GPU freezes Windows!

Samsung Chronos 7 i7 laptop. Intel HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon R9 M200X GPU. Licensed Windows 10 2004 + any AMD software (20.5, 20.7, 20.4, etc). There is no Firmware or BIOS update from Samsung for this model. After seven years of use, only works if AMD GPU is disabled on Device Manager. If I enable, Windows freezes, with or without an external monitor, either plugged into VGA or HDMI ports. If I reboot, windows cannot even start. It does stuck on loading. Need to force shut down, enter on recover, safe boot, disable GPU, and then windows starts and works again. Tried windows 8 (original from computer), the same. Ubuntu does not tell me if there is a problem on GPU. It simply works fine (I believe it is not using the GPU). Any software you could imagine I use from AMD get stucked on 70% installation, after the first reboot, just after the GPU is recognized on Device Manager (driver installation). I've tried also DDU... the same... Opened up the laptop, took off cooling system, changed old and dry thermal paste. The problem continues. Clean formatted and reinstalled Windows several times... same problem. I cannot even find a software the can tell me if the GPU has died. It appears on Device Manager, which tells me it is working normally. But load drivers by enabling the GPU simply freezes the system. I've tried everything you all told here... Any other hint, PLEASE!!! Change a very good laptop, which works very well, just because a faulty GPU could be the death of me... 

0 Likes
26 Replies