cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Adept I
Adept I

After seven years use, AMD GPU freezes Windows!

Samsung Chronos 7 i7 laptop. Intel HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon R9 M200X GPU. Licensed Windows 10 2004 + any AMD software (20.5, 20.7, 20.4, etc). There is no Firmware or BIOS update from Samsung for this model. After seven years of use, only works if AMD GPU is disabled on Device Manager. If I enable, Windows freezes, with or without an external monitor, either plugged into VGA or HDMI ports. If I reboot, windows cannot even start. It does stuck on loading. Need to force shut down, enter on recover, safe boot, disable GPU, and then windows starts and works again. Tried windows 8 (original from computer), the same. Ubuntu does not tell me if there is a problem on GPU. It simply works fine (I believe it is not using the GPU). Any software you could imagine I use from AMD get stucked on 70% installation, after the first reboot, just after the GPU is recognized on Device Manager (driver installation). I've tried also DDU... the same... Opened up the laptop, took off cooling system, changed old and dry thermal paste. The problem continues. Clean formatted and reinstalled Windows several times... same problem. I cannot even find a software the can tell me if the GPU has died. It appears on Device Manager, which tells me it is working normally. But load drivers by enabling the GPU simply freezes the system. I've tried everything you all told here... Any other hint, PLEASE!!! Change a very good laptop, which works very well, just because a faulty GPU could be the death of me... 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: After seven years use, AMD GPU freezes Windows!

First you need to know which AMD driver you have....M200X is a series of graphics:

Second you need to update the Intel graphics from Intel support:

For laptops with Intel/AMD graphics:

https://community.amd.com/thread/207699 

1. Download and save to the desktop the correct AMD drivers for your laptop.

2. The Intel graphics drivers should be the latest offered by Intel Support.

Use their 'Driver Download Tool' to get the latest version. These must be installed before the AMD drivers.

Whichever OS you are using must be fully updated before trying to install AMD drivers.

Adept I
Adept I

I'll give it a try... my AMD GPU is an AMD/ATI Venus XT Radeon HD 8870M/ R9 M270X/M370X. According to AMD support, the R9 series are the same as the HD 8800 models (just a numerical replacement).. I can foresee that once Adrenalin starts to install the driver, Windows will freeze... but... lets see...

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeah...but knowing what graphics card exactly  is a good thing. Which one one the drivers I highlighted would you install?

And that still doesn't address the Intel graphics. And updated OS.

The sting of graphics you think you have, or might have is not sufficient. Go to the laptop manufacturer look up the specs for your laptop.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

I've got the HD 8870M drive with Adrenalin 20.7 ... as usual, the system froze during drive installation. Forced boot, Safe Mode, DDU, removed everything. Then uncompressed Adrenalin file for drivers, and installed only the driver without software, and on safe mode. Recognized GPU was R9 M200X, but I know it is a M270X/ HD 8870M (Ubuntu gave me that information). I'm on safe mode now, with GPU driver installed, no Adrenalin software, and the GPU as display adapter. If everything happens as usually, after a reboot, probably windows will not load because AMD GPU is enabled, but I will confirm and come back for update...

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Have you set Windows 10 to delay/prevent automatically checking for and installing drivers?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Yes!

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

An update... as expected, after reboot to exit from Safe Mode, black screen, no HD working, no Windows starting. Had to force boot, Safe Mode again, disable AMD GPU, and now OS is running, with AMD GPU disabled, as before.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hi aethelbert‌, I have a Samsung laptop from 2014 with the same problem as yours. My AMD Radeon 8870m passed away 3 years ago. Since then I have tried lots of solutions related with the AMD drivers, but none of them succeeded (most likely because of an hardware issue). From my research about this issue I found lots of cases with this specific GPU model curiously on Samsung and Dell computers. All points to hardware issues, at least we got the Intel HD Graphics so we can continue using the computer. On my previous laptop I also had a problem with the graphic card, which was an ATI Radeon (what a coincidence) and the computer became unusable. Regarding AMD laptop GPUs all I can say is that I am very disappointed with this brand. One bad experience happens, but two in few years is really bad, for me there will be no third. I have contacted Samsung to know the price of replacing the component, but as it is embedded in the motherboard, the motherboard has to be completely replaced and their budget for the repair was close to what I payed for the laptop. In short, apparently it is an hardware issue and there is nothing we can do.

Adept I
Adept I

Hi rp20! I'm very happy and sad simultaneously with your kind response. Happy because finally, someone came with a good point, but sad because of the bad news... I used to game StarWars Battlefront on this laptop and temperatures were very high during the game, which works solely with the AMD GPU. So, it seems I've burned out the dedicated GPU. Unfortunately, the game does not run on Intel GPU. About changing the GPU, I've seen on youtube a video where the guy was able to change the GPU by a new one, using the same motherboard. However, it was a very laborious and hard task to dissolve that glue with heat and apply a new processor without damaging everything around. Additionally, I've not found on the internet any source to by only the AMD GPU. Miss a lot at that time of those old CPU sockets that you could just pull out a lock bar and change the processor how many times as you would like. But, now, I think surely my only solution could be to buy another computer now on before another device goes dead, and I lose my computer at once. Thanks a lot for your reply!!!

0 Kudos