cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

aethelbert
Adept I

After seven years use, AMD GPU freezes Windows!

Samsung Chronos 7 i7 laptop. Intel HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon R9 M200X GPU. Licensed Windows 10 2004 + any AMD software (20.5, 20.7, 20.4, etc). There is no Firmware or BIOS update from Samsung for this model. After seven years of use, only works if AMD GPU is disabled on Device Manager. If I enable, Windows freezes, with or without an external monitor, either plugged into VGA or HDMI ports. If I reboot, windows cannot even start. It does stuck on loading. Need to force shut down, enter on recover, safe boot, disable GPU, and then windows starts and works again. Tried windows 8 (original from computer), the same. Ubuntu does not tell me if there is a problem on GPU. It simply works fine (I believe it is not using the GPU). Any software you could imagine I use from AMD get stucked on 70% installation, after the first reboot, just after the GPU is recognized on Device Manager (driver installation). I've tried also DDU... the same... Opened up the laptop, took off cooling system, changed old and dry thermal paste. The problem continues. Clean formatted and reinstalled Windows several times... same problem. I cannot even find a software the can tell me if the GPU has died. It appears on Device Manager, which tells me it is working normally. But load drivers by enabling the GPU simply freezes the system. I've tried everything you all told here... Any other hint, PLEASE!!! Change a very good laptop, which works very well, just because a faulty GPU could be the death of me... 

0 Likes
26 Replies

First you need to know which AMD driver you have....M200X is a series of graphics:

Second you need to update the Intel graphics from Intel support:

For laptops with Intel/AMD graphics:

https://community.amd.com/thread/207699 

1. Download and save to the desktop the correct AMD drivers for your laptop.

2. The Intel graphics drivers should be the latest offered by Intel Support.

Use their 'Driver Download Tool' to get the latest version. These must be installed before the AMD drivers.

Whichever OS you are using must be fully updated before trying to install AMD drivers.

I'll give it a try... my AMD GPU is an AMD/ATI Venus XT Radeon HD 8870M/ R9 M270X/M370X. According to AMD support, the R9 series are the same as the HD 8800 models (just a numerical replacement).. I can foresee that once Adrenalin starts to install the driver, Windows will freeze... but... lets see...

0 Likes

Yeah...but knowing what graphics card exactly  is a good thing. Which one one the drivers I highlighted would you install?

And that still doesn't address the Intel graphics. And updated OS.

The sting of graphics you think you have, or might have is not sufficient. Go to the laptop manufacturer look up the specs for your laptop.

0 Likes

I've got the HD 8870M drive with Adrenalin 20.7 ... as usual, the system froze during drive installation. Forced boot, Safe Mode, DDU, removed everything. Then uncompressed Adrenalin file for drivers, and installed only the driver without software, and on safe mode. Recognized GPU was R9 M200X, but I know it is a M270X/ HD 8870M (Ubuntu gave me that information). I'm on safe mode now, with GPU driver installed, no Adrenalin software, and the GPU as display adapter. If everything happens as usually, after a reboot, probably windows will not load because AMD GPU is enabled, but I will confirm and come back for update...

0 Likes

Have you set Windows 10 to delay/prevent automatically checking for and installing drivers?

0 Likes
aethelbert
Adept I

Yes!

0 Likes
aethelbert
Adept I

An update... as expected, after reboot to exit from Safe Mode, black screen, no HD working, no Windows starting. Had to force boot, Safe Mode again, disable AMD GPU, and now OS is running, with AMD GPU disabled, as before.

0 Likes
rp20
Journeyman III

Hi aethelbert‌, I have a Samsung laptop from 2014 with the same problem as yours. My AMD Radeon 8870m passed away 3 years ago. Since then I have tried lots of solutions related with the AMD drivers, but none of them succeeded (most likely because of an hardware issue). From my research about this issue I found lots of cases with this specific GPU model curiously on Samsung and Dell computers. All points to hardware issues, at least we got the Intel HD Graphics so we can continue using the computer. On my previous laptop I also had a problem with the graphic card, which was an ATI Radeon (what a coincidence) and the computer became unusable. Regarding AMD laptop GPUs all I can say is that I am very disappointed with this brand. One bad experience happens, but two in few years is really bad, for me there will be no third. I have contacted Samsung to know the price of replacing the component, but as it is embedded in the motherboard, the motherboard has to be completely replaced and their budget for the repair was close to what I payed for the laptop. In short, apparently it is an hardware issue and there is nothing we can do.

Hi rp20! I'm very happy and sad simultaneously with your kind response. Happy because finally, someone came with a good point, but sad because of the bad news... I used to game StarWars Battlefront on this laptop and temperatures were very high during the game, which works solely with the AMD GPU. So, it seems I've burned out the dedicated GPU. Unfortunately, the game does not run on Intel GPU. About changing the GPU, I've seen on youtube a video where the guy was able to change the GPU by a new one, using the same motherboard. However, it was a very laborious and hard task to dissolve that glue with heat and apply a new processor without damaging everything around. Additionally, I've not found on the internet any source to by only the AMD GPU. Miss a lot at that time of those old CPU sockets that you could just pull out a lock bar and change the processor how many times as you would like. But, now, I think surely my only solution could be to buy another computer now on before another device goes dead, and I lose my computer at once. Thanks a lot for your reply!!!

0 Likes
dbeat
Adept I

Having the same issue since 3 months aprox. I have a dell 15r Inspiron, with amd HD 8850M, since latest series of OBLIGATORY windows 10 updates my laptop is a mess. Constantly detecting R9 M200X instead of the original. I wouldn't have a problem if only that would work but it doesn't, every once in a while my computer freezes due to this change. I've tried all, clean instalations, clean uninstalations, original drivers from dell page, updating BIOS, updating processor (first of all). New adrenalin 2020 "compatible" with my card software (which is total crap). I firmly believe windows had this updates to ruin old good solid laptops.

0 Likes

Hi dbeat‌. As rp20‌ told me in the previous message, I believe it is a hardware issue. Coincidently, it started following a Windows 10 update, and should have been corrected after a clean Windows 8 installation, which was the original OS from my laptop. It was not the case, and the GPU does not work on W8 as well. So, after 2 years burning my GPU playing Star Wars Battlefront, which demands a lot from the laptop (when playing, GPU and CPU temperatures where always running around 95-100 ºC - regular use should be around 50-60 ºC), and since the AMD GPU can be recognized, but cannot be enabled because of the screen freezing, I'm almost sure that I had a BGA solder problem, and maybe some of the contacts had cracked. The only ways to solve, sadly, would be to change motherboard, buy a new laptop, or try a reballing service (reballing will try to correct the BGA contacts with heat). This latter, sometimes, give good, but temporary results. pastedImage_1.png

If the problem is on the solder balls below the BGA substrate, maybe the problem can be solved, at least temporarily. But if the problem is on the internal solder bumps, just forget it. No way to correct. The guys who do the reballing service also can change the GPU using the same procedures for reballing. However, I have no idea from where to find the GPU alone on the market.

I am an engineer and this is basically gospel. Manufacturers do this on purpose to make you upgrade. These GPU's are under constant high heat scenarios and as such should be pinned to the board, Not soldered on with BGA. If these chips were pinned, This would never happen. And they know it.

That's why I miss a lot those old CPU sockets. I've changed CPU so many times those days.

0 Likes
marcox43
Journeyman III

I' don't have a solution yet, but wanted to point this out, I have the very same model Samsung Series 7 chronos with I7 and HD 8870m, same setup as yours and got the same issue since august. Was playing World of tanks when my GPU crashed... I will try setting an external GPU and see how it goes. Long live the king of Slim laptops! Serie 7 chronos.

I had done Thermal paste change in the past, so mine usually ran with CPU at 86°C and GPU at 67-70°C.

stay strong mate.

0 Likes

About one month ago, I started having my cad software (Rhino 6) freeze at random intervals.  But it freezes the entire machine necessitating a reboot.

This happened after a Windows 10 update.

The machine is a 2015 iMac, with an AMD Radeon R9 M380 graphics card.

I tried updating the drivers using the AMD installation tool, and when it runs it tells me Windows does not detect an AMD card in the machine. Helpful!

It may not be the exact issue discussed elsewhere in this thread, but has anyone else run into this?

Thanks for any thoughts!

0 Likes

i dont know if there is any sollution i am planning on getting a new one but i just want to know is getting a new gpu will solve this i dont want to waste money 

0 Likes

Hi!

I came here just to say that the same exact thing happened to me in DEC 2020.

I have a Toshiba Satellite P-70 and noticed that, after a Windows 10 update, my PC would freeze randomly and the only fix was to reboot it.

I performed a clean install of Windows 10 and the problem remained unchanged, but started occurring more often, until it happened everytime I tried to boot Windows. Spent a whole week trying to fix it (didn't know how to disable windows automatic drivers update).

Luckily, my laptop has a lower grade Intel GPU, so I can still use my laptop. I will never buy any Toshiba or any other laptop that has a AMD GPU.

0 Likes

Hi!

I came here just to say that the same exact thing happened to me in DEC 2020.

I have a Toshiba Satellite P-70 and noticed that, after a Windows 10 update, my PC would freeze randomly and the only fix was to reboot it.

I performed a clean install of Windows 10 and the problem remained unchanged, but started occurring more often, until it happened everytime I tried to boot Windows. Spent a whole week trying to fix it (didn't know how to disable windows automatic drivers update).

Luckily, my laptop has a lower grade Intel GPU, so I can still use my laptop. I will never buy any Toshiba or any other laptop that has a AMD GPU.

0 Likes

Hey Guys, 

i also have an Samsung Series 7 Chronos (called Ativ Book 8 here in Germany) with the HD 8870m. 

i´'ve had the exact same problem in December 2020 and i tried a lot of stuff and finally i fixed it, but cannot remember how (i think it was something with Microsoft visual c++ but i really don't remember). 

Yesderday i did some heavy graphics stuff and then the Screen freezed. Now i have the same issue again and cannot find any solution. The Laptop works perfect when i deactivate the AMD Graphics. 

I dont't think that this problem is really a hardware issue, cause so many people have the same problems with this kind of hybrid-graphics. 

0 Likes

Hey Guys, 

i also have an Samsung Series 7 Chronos (called Ativ Book 8 here in Germany) with the HD 8870m. 

i´'ve had the exact same problem in December 2020 and i tried a lot of stuff and finally i fixed it, but cannot remember how (i think it was something with Microsoft visual c++ but i really don't remember). 

Yesderday i did some heavy graphics stuff and then the Screen freezed. Now i have the same issue again and cannot find any solution. The Laptop works perfect when i deactivate the AMD Graphics. 

I dont't think that this problem is really a hardware issue, cause so many people have the same problems with this kind of hybrid-graphics. 

0 Likes

hi there every body me too have Samsung Chronos 7  from a week i have the same issue my amd graphic card make the laptop freeze I'm from Egypt ... i try different methods nAnnotation 2021-10-09 050215.pngoting work still freeze and go to safe mode and uninstall the drivers and reboot the laptop work again without amd graphic card .... any help there?

0 Likes

Hey Guys, 

I dont't think that this problem is a hardware issue, cause so many people have the same problems with this kind of hybrid-graphics. 

0 Likes

Hey All,

I have exactly the same problem on my XMG (clevo p150em) notebook.

Out of sudden around 3 month ago my whole screen hung up during a game, freezed and ended up in a bluescreen. I wasn't able anymore to start my notebook normally, as soon as it was loading my AMD driver my screen was frozzen. --> safty mode --> deactivate AMD driver --> boot again --> everything was fine with the intel 4000 graphic.

I tried everything - fresh windows installation, all drivers again (notebook is from 2012 so not easy to find working win10 drivers). Today - after 3 month playing with the graphic on intel cpu - I went to the "basic display driver" in the device manager and said --> update driver. And again my PC was frozzen. After 3 reboots and 2 "automatic repairs" later my notebook startet again with a working and running 7970m driver O.o... Until now it's working fine again but I'm afraid after a new reboot, the notebook will freeze again...

Is there already any solution for that?? It doesn't seem to me that my graphic card is dead since I'm playing for 5 hours now without any issues today...

0 Likes

Hey there,

As you can read in my old post - I got it to work but only for about 2 month...

I had now problems again since half a year, trying different things.

In the end, 5 days ago, I got really pissed and installed windows 7 on a old 40gb ssd.. However, took all old driver the notebook came with... Well, I was able to fully install the driver BUT! I also ended up in this triangle error in the device manager... Means, even if the 7970m was still known and displayed in the bios - there was a hardware issue... Already unmount everything and cleaned the card 3 times - nothing helped... 

In the internet you can find the "last thing you can try before you throw it into the trash"...

Put your graphic card into the oven!

I backed my card in the oven today for 15 minutes at 180 degree - wrapped into aluminium foil and **bleep**?! i was able to install the latest amd graphic card driver without problems O.o

No Joke! Mine is working again and I'm currently very happy. One thing I have to mention:

Everyone in youtube tells you that backing the card in the oven is just a temp. solution. If it helps, it mostly works again for some time but you might end up in the same situation again after some moth or a year...

Btw

sorry for my bad english ;D

0 Likes
zohaib1397
Journeyman III

I have the same laptop Samsung Chronos 7 Series with same issue 
Still no solution

0 Likes
Zapienx
Journeyman III

Hi there,

I might be a couple of years too late to this thread but I've ran into the exact same issue. I tried using my old Samsung Ativbook 6 (NP670Z5E-XD1BR model to be exact) with the HD8850M (Also known as the R9 M65X I believe). I've tried every single solution available online and although I can't say anything has worked out, I can assure you it's not 100% a hardware malfunction. 

My laptop was in a drawer for years before I decided to use it again, in the process I've installed a cheap Kingkston 2.5 Sata SSD on it and a fresh Windows 10 install, that's when the problems started. BUT, when I install my old regular HDD with Windows 7 and Crimson Relive 17.2.2 (Says in the Driver Packaging Version 17.30.1041...) the GPU works fine, and runs contemporary games with no issues whatsoever.

Hope that helps ease up the worries with faulty hardware, in my case it's purely Windows and drivers related, I might get a different HDD and try Win10 in that just to see if the SSD is the culprit.

0 Likes