cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mickeekung
Challenger

After many weeks of facing black screen/app freeze/TDR blue screen failure, finally I found the way to fix it.

This method may harmful to your computer so please use it at your own risk

Set Power Limit to -10 percent. 

I have no black screen issue anymore.

Referring and thanks to 

ssianky@ unusable on Mar 22, 2020 5:07 PM

I have the Pulse too, but I don't have such issues. Your symptoms aren't like the "black screen" problem

But I will tell you what to look at, things which helped me.

1) Remove applications which are promising to boost your gaming. Turn off the Windows "Game Mode", Afterburner, Dragon Center, TriXX, and anything else except the Radeon Sofware.

2) Turn the Performance -> Tuning to Manual. 

3) Set a better fan curve

pastedImage_1.png

4) Limit the power. The Adrenalin for some reason is boosting my card up to 2000+ MGz, which is way above the specifications.

pastedImage_2.png

andrulko

Sapphire Nitro+ RX5700XT 8GB, bought on Nov 5th 2019.

I've switched my 144hz Samsung C32HG70 monitor to 120hz, I've disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome / Slack, I'm afraid and hate to play games because of continuos black screens. Works more-less stable, 2-3 black screens/day. When trying to submit an issue via Adrenalin software (just got an idea to try it via Chrome), I've encountered black screens when fulfilling the form - most likely, some hardware acceleration is active in built-in browser.

I'm tired to re-install drivers and don't want to waste my time trying various versions.

In Ukraine, no chance that service center will return / replace GPU, since it works and maximum they can do is running some stress tests which will be passed successfully I guess. VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE happens so randomly that you cannot track the root cause and even more often you see black screen without any messages. Sometimes, even reset doesn't work so I should forcibly disable the PC.

The biggest money waste, I must admit. I will switch to NVIDIA once quarantine ends.

My specs, just in case (I might need 'em when submitting ticket to AMD ):

PSU: Aerocool VX-750 750W

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
MB: Gigabyte Z170-HD3 DDR3
BIOS: F21f (type: UEFI)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM (2x HyperX FURY DDR3 1866Mhz)

Already plan upgrading MB, CPU and RAM but I need to solve GPU question first, since I see that even modern PCs have the same issue with RX5700XT.

I have a wattmeter socket connected with PC, monitor, router and average power consumption is 165W. When black screen occurs, it jumps to ~220W and the more time you wait, the more power it will consume (sometimes over 300W). When playing heavy games, power consumption was around 460W.

https://community.amd.com/thread/243837?messageTarget=all&start=2425&mode=comments

8 Replies
accn
Elite

How long has this fix worked for you? I hoped many times that I solved the problem in one way or another, but after a few days black screens happened again

0 Likes

1 day.but you can try. 

0 Likes

Sure i will, thanks

UPD worked for me for 3 hours, not sure if it was a fix or a placebo xD

0 Likes
themate28
Journeyman III

Tried it, didn't work

0 Likes

The worst part of all this is the same old thing. The cards should work at default settings. You should not have to tinker to gain stability unless you are trying to use it outside supplied parameters such as undervolting, overclocking, etc....

Thanks however to the OP and others for sharing what works for you. It does help the struggling community. 

0 Likes
nbdt
Adept I

Sad to say I'm pretty much in the same situation as you guys, had this gigabyte 5600xt for 3 weeks now and had nothing but crashes, my dota 2 profile is full of abandons because of the crashes. Replaced my 1070 with this which had 0 issues. If I'd only known this would happen I wouldn't have bought it. One thing is for sure though, once the quarantine ends I'll replace this with the 2060

0 Likes
mr_singh
Journeyman III

bought pulse rx 5700 4 months ago, suddenly I started facing the black screen and random crashing issue. but because I was busy with studies I didn't care much since I barely used PC for long hours. since the covid-19 and the lockdown. it was the best opportunity to flex my muscles on the new GPU. the first thing i did was a complete cleanup with DDU and amdcleanup tool. even installed new windows. no matter what i faced random black screen issue after 30-3 hours of gaming or even watching movies. now I'm stuck with this mess and in countries like India, there's nay to return the cards. now i don't even have money to buy a new one nor there's any place to sell this mess.  PLEASE DO NOT BUY RX 5700/XT. AMD COULDNT FIX THIS ISSUE IN OVER 6 MONTHS WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THEY'LL FIX IT NOW?

0 Likes

It`s not only RX 5700 etc, all AMD`s graphics cards are bad now. I have AMD ryzen 5 3400G and bluescreen/blackscreen etc everyday. Now I use version 20.3.1, but it doesn`t work. 

0 Likes