cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

joshy8910
Journeyman III

After installing GPU driver, windows freezes

I recently purchased Worms Rumble, and upon running the game for the first time, it showed me a message suggesting that I update my graphics card driver for my AMD Radeon HD 750M. So I went to AMD and downloaded the AMD software installer program, which recommended patch 20.11.2 adrenaline 2020 edition. I allowed the program to install the driver and then I restarted my computer. When my computer started up, it just kept freezing over and over again at the login screen for Windows. I was eventually able to get into safe mode and performed a system restore which restored my computer to operational condition. What did I do wrong? I just want to update my graphics card driver. Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have any tips for me on how to correctly patch my GPU driver and not have major issues?

8 Replies
Mantori
Journeyman III

I have exactly the same issue. 

THis is costing me time and money because it is killing my workflow and my design projects are falling behind schedule.

Is there any reason for this happening on these machines?

I have the GTX 1660 TI graphics card on the  AMD Ryzen 7 3750H TUF GAming laptop.

boltzmann777
Adept I

I have a similar problem on an Asus tuf fx505dt (amd ryzen 5 vega8 + nvidia 1650). Windows 10 20H2. Last stable driver - 20.9.2.  

I am very surprised that the developers do not see a critical issue.

0 Likes

Which version (exact) of windows are you using? 2020 or older?

Windows 10 20H2

0 Likes

I have to the same issue. What can I do from this point of view ? Does anyone know how can I solve this ? 

I don't know to solve yet. I thought I had fixed but apparently not yet.

First, it was freezing after 7-10 hours... then I used the AMD Driver cleanup tool (amdcleanuputility.exe) ( that removes all AMD drivers in safe mode). Then installed the latest version of the adrenaline drivers: non-whql-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.2.1-win10-64bit-feb1.exe

After this, I left all defaults (changed nothing) and it worked for about 3-4 days (24/7), without any problems. Then it freezes again.

I am back on the Intel GPU... waiting for new drivers to see if there is any news.

My setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400, 3900 MHz

Motherboard: Asus TUF B360M-Plus Gaming (BIOS 05/27/2020)

RAM: 2x16 GB (Micron)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (Shappire Nitro+, no BIOS available)

PSU: Corsair AX850

Monitor: Samsung C49RG9 (1004.0 Firmware)

Hey everyone... 5 days with the GPU (RX6800XT) physically installed and running (but without any drivers from AMD installed), while running from the internal Intel GPU.

The only thing I noticed is that sometimes, the 3 keyboard lights light up... Numlock, CapsLock and Scroll lock. Which usually indicate some kind of problem if I am not mistaken.

Either way... 5 days update without any freezes or whatever. So this is unlikely a hardware problem. Most likely a driver issue or a way windows deals with a driver.

Either way, today I just updated windows to the recently released update: OS Build 19042.804 (so let's see how this build behaves with the same situation, running from intel GPU while having the RX6800XT running without any drivers).

0 Likes

Developers. The latest drivers still have this problem. 

Increasing the amount of shared video memory in the BIOS settings solves this problem. Please check. 

0 Likes