Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thedarkone198
Adept II

Adrenaline 2020 display drivers not installing

GPU: Radeon RX Vega 64

Windows 10,up to date.

I am trying to go from version 19.11.3 to the new 19.12.2 and every time I try, nothing works properly. After the obligatory restart, when it says it is finished installing (and yes,I have used the Factory Reset option,to no avail), it gives an error that no display drivers can load in Device Manager and when I try to open the new Radeon Settings app, it says that no compatible display adapter is detected and to visit the manufacturer website for the drivers needed. I have tried updating from within Radeon Settings, using the installer within the AMD folder and downloading and installing from the website download, after selecting my display adapter and Windows version. I even tried going into Device Manager and hunting down the .inf files that should install the drivers. No good, either these drivers are buggy as heck or something is up with my system. I have to use System Restore to bring it back to 19.11.3 because the installer for any older version immediately goes to get the new ones. Stupidly redundant if it does not let you install older versions for troubleshooting purposes, while keeping installers for older versions on your system. I guess I am not updating until I see a 12.2.3 or something higher in the future. Is anyone else suffering this issue? I really want to investigate the new driver features but it just will not let me. I feel sometimes that when things like this happen, that the RTG is either incompetent, releasing drivers that somehow have WHQL signing, but are buggy or they intentionally are giving GCN users the shaft. I do not know but this needs to be fixed soon.

0 Likes
7 Replies

take a look at this thread:
https://community.amd.com/thread/246165 

0 Likes

Unfortunately, I have no PCI cards on my system, especially wifi, as I am using the ethernet port of my motherboard. I think I saw that thread before making this one and as I do not have a PCI card in use, I did not think it applied to me. I just realized that Windows 1909 is available and 1903 is installed, so it's not fully up to date. I wonder if that would help but they were wondering if that were the problem so I do not know but either way, I have no add-on cards. The closest thing I have is an M.2 NVME drive but that is not the same thing. It is just an SSD.

EDIT: Furthermore, when I run the updater or installer,it will say it installed and not give me error 173. It is after I restart the PC and have all kinds of issues,such as my second monitor not getting a display output to it and when I try to click the radeon settings icon in the tray (right clicking on desktop does not give the option for it as it should), that is when it says that a supported display device is not installed. It is as if it is not installing the correct driver for my GPU because as I said when I try to install the driver manually by having windows use the INF file, it says it cannot use it even though it lists Radeon RX Vega in the list of what to install.

0 Likes

OK sorry I could not help more.
I have been able to install Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 on Windows 10 Pro 64but Version 19.03 (OS Build 18362.476) with latest Windows update patches.

GPU = Single PowerColor Red Dragon 56 as primary. 
Next step is I am connecting the following  multiple GPUs and I will see what happens:

GPU1=  Primary =  Nvidia Palit RTX 2080 OC
GPU2 =  RX Vega 64 Liquid
GPU3 =  RX Vega 64 Liquid
GPU 4 = PowerColor RX Vega 56  Red Dragon.
GPU 5 = Radeon Pro DUO
GPU 6 = R9 390X

Don't worry I have 3100W power supply.
Wish me luck.

The PC Build is here: Maximus 

Jeez man,I wish I had that kind of money to have a parts like that laying around lol. I didn't know PSUs came that high in wattage haha.

The PSU is a Corsair AX1600i, driving the motherboard +
Two x (Corsair SF 750 (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/SF-...) driving http://www.adt.link/product/R43SG.html )
1600+750+750 = 3100.

Only 3 of those GPUs were bought new ~ within the last year. The RTX2080, RX Vega 64 Liquid, RX Vega 56 Red Dragon, on Black Friday or Christmas Sales with free game bundles.

You can pick up very good condition used R9 390x, R9 Fury, Radeon Pro DUO (Fiji) based GPUs for 50-100.
Mint Condition used RX Vega 64 Liquid ~ 300 now.
Much better than RX5700XT for compute and ~same gaming performance (with HBM2 overclocked).
Adrenalin 19.12.1 drivers on the RX Vega 64 Liquid are much more stable (Apart from Auto Overclock self destruct and black screening during gaming/browsing at times - which RX5700XT also suffer from.) than new RX5700XT.
Obviously used GPU have no Warranty as they are not transferrable.
But lower cost (RT5700XT reference cards cost at least 350).

scythe
Adept I

Consider AMD doing you a favor.  The new drivers are terrible.   Stay where you are at if you existing driver is working correctly.

0 Likes

Aside from Radeon Settings not displaying the tabs for Gaming,Video,ReLive and such properly (they are there and work properly,but the "buttons" are not there and are flat and gray,with the words in each of them being black and hard to see) and the minimize,maximize and close buttons not being visible,but still functioning,I am having no issues with the older drivers. Like I said,I might wait until an update or two after this one.

0 Likes