Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cesarin
Elite

Adrenalin Software BSOD Crash ON INSTALL (UPDATED May 13 2019) FINALLY SOLVED

May 13 2019 UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED

After 5 months and 13 days when the last functional driver was launched and after struggling with 13 failed versions and without any response, AMD FINALLY launches 19.5.1 version, which solves the installation problem and works as it should . Unfortunately for many all this time is an eternity for the solution of such a simple problem, but well, we hope it will never happen again and that there will be no new problems with Windows 10 May Update 1903.

We do not thanks for this solution, because it is an AMD DUTY to attend and solve all the inconveniences that arise to give support to its users, so we are not doing favors to thank. They are in the obligation to solve this type of problems, on the contrary, it is considered an excessive time for this solution. We hope that with this you also pay attention to an improvement in the service to your customers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is that when you start your installation and when it reaches 33%, 50% or 62%, the PC is restarted and creating a blue  screen (BSOD) with the code 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, generated because of atikmdag.sys and in which it remains in a permanent restart cycle until it is restored to a previous configuration.

Install-y-BSOD.png

When reviewing the Installation.log file, it can be clearly seen that it is an error in the package that causes the installation to stop and fail.

[ERROR] - ERROR_DRIVER_PACKAGE_NOT_IN_STORE::[000000ADE1EF7F90] There does not exist an INF file in the driver store that corresponds to the INF file specified by DriverPackageInfPath.

LOG.png

The latest version that works is 18.12.1.1, November 2018.

There are several affected models, among which are HD 7970, R9 280X, R9 390X, RX460 etc.

List of things that I have tried

• Clean installation of Windows 10
  • Deactivating Antivirus Software and the Internet
  • Uninstall Old Drivers with DDU and AMD Cleaning Tool in safe mode
  • Test the Graphics Card in another computer.

List of failed drivers on install process

• 18.12.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 18.12.3 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.1.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.1.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.2.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.2.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.2.3 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.3.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.3.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.3.3 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.4.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation
  • 19.4.2 (Crash in 62% of Installation)
  • 19.4.3 (Crash in 50% of Installation)

339 Replies

adamdz and all those who have HD7970 or similar with the same problem, I just realized that the Adrenalin 19.3.2 drivers were released today, and although in bug fixes and bug detection does not say anything about this problem, it is worth trying and commenting if this new version does install correctly in HD 7970 or if on the contrary the fault persists.

Hopefully you can try them and record a video clip or a screenshot to continue insisting if the problem persists.

Download Link AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 Drivers & Support | AMD 

cesarin
Elite

UPDATE (March 14 2019)

Well, I tell you that I again proceeded to uninstall DDU drivers 18.12.1.1 which are what have worked, to proceed with the installation of the 19.3.2 that were released today to test if they had already corrected the failure, BUT NO! it happened exactly the same as with all the previous versions, that already counting this are 9 versions in which the problem persists and they have not been able to solve it.

Video Clip of Issue

Adrenalin Software 19.3.2 Crash Again on HD 7970 on Vimeo 

Already today it has been exactly 1 month since this post was created asking for help to solve the problem but still nothing happens. Apparently AMD focuses its efforts on solving problems related to performance in some games and leaves aside this problem that for me and many other users is serious and deserves to pay more attention.

I hope adamdz and pokester you can do the same test as I installed these last 19.3.2 and can record a video or take a snapshot of what happened to know if the same thing happens to you.

Updating the list in the main post to add one more driver to the list of failed drivers.

ray_m ¿What can you contribute from your research to this topic?

As mentioned earlier, I will update this thread when I receive more information. The issue has been escalated to engineering and they do not update me every day on the status.

Thanks ray, that is actually updated information as before you had only told us of your testing success. You had not mentioned that this has now gone to engineering. So thanks for that. Hopefully we will soon see a fix or at least have it listed as a known issue. That really is all that needs to be done so that people know AMD is actually aware and working on it. Many afflicted will never see your post here but would more likely see the release notes with the driver package.   Thanks!

xaldorn
Adept II

19.3.2 Not Working.

MSI Lightning 7970 Always Stuck At %40.

mod.jpg

bsod.jpg

Same here.MSI 7970 Lightning.

powergoku If you can upload a screenshot or video clip of what happened, it would be very helpful as they are more evidence that it is a problem of the driver package and not hardware as claimed by AMD. We are waiting for your contribution. Thank you

0 Likes

I sent an email to tech support where they responded with a standard response, giving links to drivers. I wrote again, saying their advice wasn't helping. I think first you need to write to tech support they must have no such card to reproduce the situation. They should ask for error logs.

0 Likes

viniabear A lot of information has already been passed to technical support, even if it is already in the power of engineering, such as Videos, Screenshots, Error Messages, Installation Logs etc etc, but it has not yet been known that they have advanced.

I can not believe that the problem is so serious or complicated that they take more than 1 month to solve.

adamdz
Adept II

Unfortunately my friend cesarin has tried to install the latest version 19.3.2 but as usual it stops at 40% and returns to issue 18.12.1.1. Knowing that I sent a month ago report it wrong to AMD
And I have not received any response from them to the extent that the fact that I say that they are really indifferent to this error and our reports that we send them.
Also note that the graphics card RADEON HD 7970 is still working very well and the new graphics cards still compete on the new games
I hope they will find a solution soon because some games are asking for the latest update from the graphics card AMD 79702019.03.17-07.41.png

cesarin
Elite

That's right, apparently AMD is indifferent to this failure because it is an old model card, which no longer represents any gain in sales, so it will not spend engineering work to fix it. We have seen the will of some engineering members such as Ray_M who has been pending the case, which we appreciate very much, but his absence suggests that within AMD have told him that it is not worth working on that, which are isolated cases or that just like in the emails that AMD

Support sends as an answer, they say that it is the hardware's fault to get out in the easy way.

Hopefully it will happen with this case that although AMD is not important nor this among its priorities, there are many users around the world concerned about this failure in a card that still has much to offer.

Thanks for this information. I thought my Sapphire HD7970 OC 6GB Vapor-X GPU had died on me after trying to update the AMD Drivers I was running it with.

The HD7970/R9280x may well be old GPU now (2013/2014) but if the GPU hardware is still good, their drivers should not be ignored.  They have good compute performance and perform well in DX12 games.

Support for HD7970/R9280x GPU was dropped in latest versions of Blender last year. 

Bye.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Thanks for this information. I thought my Sapphire HD7970 OC 6GB Vapor-X GPU had died on me after trying to update the AMD Drivers I was running it with.

The HD7970/R9280x may well be old GPU now (2013/2014) but if the GPU hardware is still good, their drivers should not be ignored.  They have good compute performance and perform well in DX12 games.

Support for HD7970/R9280x GPU was dropped in latest versions of Blender last year. 

Bye.

This is one reason but not the only one why I have Vega 11 graphics on my CPU, it's an option, there if I need it

More Vega cards will be available as the year unfolds

Polaris cards are available but mediocre in performance

0 Likes

Hi,

I would be very wary of buying an AMD Processor with built in AMD graphics (APU).
Look up what happened to people who bought AMD laptops with APU containing a non GCN GPU and a discrete GCN GPU on the laptop motherboard.
No Crimson/Crimson Relive or Adrenalin or Adrenalin 2109 drivers will install for them because AMD dropped support for non GCN architecture. Same situation when trying to run with an eGPU and an AMD GCN GPU. 

Navi rumours or what is now called  Arcturus were suggesting it was going to be a completely new non-GCN architecture.
AMD Arcturus Next-Generation 7nm+ GPU Revealed

Call me cynical but my reasons are on the basis that past performance predicts future behavior and as someone who has the following experience:

1. HD7970 and R9 280x that has not had driver changes so the GPU's can at least be used be used in Blender 2.79b.

2. HD7970 and R9 280x that cannot be used for AMD ROCm Hardware because they need driver changes. Again those two cards have good compute performance.
3. A large number of R9 FuryX/Fury/Nano that had HBM overclocking via Sapphire Trixx / MSI afterburner disabled by AMD driver changes before RX Vega 64 was supposed to launch.
4. Driver performance issues on R9 FuryX ignored.

5. Dropped support for Windows 8.1 64 bit  drivers on AMD GPUs since 17.7.1. Told Windows 7 drivers "should work"
6. No Linux GUI to control AMD GPU and still many installation issues on Linux.
7. Radeon Chill not worked on and fixed so it can actually be used to save power and still provide decent gaming performance.
8. A brand new RX Vega 64 Liquid that is so unstable with AMD Adrenalin / Adrenalin 2019 drivers that it crashes frequently and takes out Windows 10 OS and is currently as useful as a house brick / desktop ornament.
9. Reported issues with AMD installer on Windows 10 still not fixed.
10. Automatic Overclocking feature immediately crashes my RX Vega 64 liquid and PC.

I completely understand that the AMD GPU competitive position against Nvidia is in a bad way, and focusing on new competitive GPU products is critical at the moment. I see that AMD RX Vega 64/56/590/580 prices keep getting lower and free game deals. I could purchase a new RX Vega 56 today for 250 including the 3 free games. I do need a new GPU for one of my PC. I decided even that low price does not compensate for my experience on the above list.

I would bet that most of new GPU purchases for consumer would be from existing AMD users and their honest recommendations to others based on their experience. Fixing 1-10 above are far more important to me versus any feature on AMD Link, for example.

Thanks.

I agree I will not buy a laptop with integrated graphics from AMD the driver support has been abysmal for years. I literally just tried to load Windows 10 to upgrade a laptop last week that has Windows 7. According to the AMD site the laptop is supported but the driver comes from Microsoft in Windows 10. Windows 10 install does not complete as it does not have the driver and they say to contact AMD. A real chicken vs egg scenario. I have 3 other AMD laptops in the past and none of them have been worked going to a future OS. On the flip side at work I have upgraded probably around 70 laptops with Intel or intel and nvidia graphics and all upgraded to 10 no problem. Only 2 laptops are stuck on 7 at work and both are the only 2 AMD laptops we have. This is funny to me as I was just asking ray for help on this last week. AMD should at least change there website to say incompatible so users don't waste there time. They have it listed as compatible with Windows 10 on two different pages. It is an APU with 6xxx series graphics BTW.  I did load the latest Ubuntu 18.10 LTS with no issues and that is now supported for another 9.5 years! So I'm fine with ubuntu as I mostly surf the web with this laptop and frankly am more secure on web with Linux. Thank God the Linux community can get drivers working.

0 Likes

The truth is that I do not think that what you say is good for users, since only listing as incompatible the products they do not want to work with to offer a solution is not the best way to serve their customers. This is not the solution if not the easy way to get them out of so many claims and requests about the problems they know they have. Here the real solution is that they give us a driver that works and does not generate more problems, that is the minimum that we ask the users that buy their products.

I have no idea what you are saying here. I did not offer a solution only agreement with another user and a share of my bad experience with AMD laptops and their lack of continued support. I think it sucks that my 6 year old laptop can't be upgraded to Windows 10 because AMD doesn't offer a driver yet claims it is compatible. MS does not install a driver for it either. So not sure why what I said is good or not good for users. I was only stating a fact that Windows 10 won't load on a product that AMD claims is supported.  Not much different that the current lack of support for your product really. Except you at least have older drivers that will load.

0 Likes

Honestly even the Vega cards at this point are at best upper middle end. Sure Vega II has some better numbers, but by all accounts of the complaint in these forums the stability is still bad. Then you factor in how much it costs and what you have to spend on power supply to run the darn thing and I don't personally see where it is a viable product. I guess for those willing to stay red team no matter the cost or frustration from stability issues it doesn't matter? AMD really needs NAVI to give gamers something way better and I hope that happens. Unfortunately AMD doesn't seem to be focused on PC gamers and has even said as much.  I get performance equal if not better to a Vega 64 with my RTX 2060 and I payed less than half what that card costs. Also I am very concerned with Vega and EFI compatibility and still not play ready 3 compatible. Plus many of the other emerging tech AMD is not ready for. It is looking like even the Intel product coming out this year will leapfrog AMD, time will tell and I truly hope that is not the case.

0 Likes

good, but do not deviate from the main theme of this post.

0 Likes

I answered a sentiment from another that deviated so if you want to correct the deviation you should mention it to the person that started the deviation. I don't think at this point anyone doesn't get the theme of this thread and I have contributed to that point as much as anyone in this thread to that end. Its really hard to address what someone sees as misinformation in a thread by starting a new one that nobody would know what you are addressing. You are correct it would be best if things didn't deviate to begin with. I however was not the one taking it off course. I only rebuttal the one that did.

0 Likes

I have also collaborated a lot especially with those who work in engineering, providing a lot of valuable information to accelerate the process of finding and correcting this ruling, but apparently everything was forgotten because they did not communicate again here or to the mail electronic to give more details about it.

The truth I think that if this bug is not corrected in the next version that comes out of Adrenalin, there is nothing to do, but then they confirm us and they will no longer work with these models and if they are declared incompatible for now Do not wear down more with this topic.

0 Likes

Yes I agree you have gone way above and beyond to communicate this issue. I hope you don't give up and applaud your efforts. I have supported you in this as well as the others with threads on this issue. I will not be giving up as long as it is not fixed. As long as it is a supported product, AMD has the obligation to make the driver work with the product. I hope you understand that the deviations from your initial topic are literally still in support of the fact that AMD drops the ball on support. It is people just sharing their tales of non-support from AMD on their other products too. We agree with you and 100% support you in your effort to get AMD to fix this issue. Unfortunately AMD has a long history of abrupt support discontinuation and that is a trend that seems to be getting worse not better. If NAVI is successful I would not be surprised to see them cut support to GCN very quickly.

pokester wrote:

Honestly even the Vega cards at this point are at best upper middle end. Sure Vega II has some better numbers, but by all accounts of the complaint in these forums the stability is still bad. Then you factor in how much it costs and what you have to spend on power supply to run the darn thing and I don't personally see where it is a viable product. I guess for those willing to stay red team no matter the cost or frustration from stability issues it doesn't matter? AMD really needs NAVI to give gamers something way better and I hope that happens. Unfortunately AMD doesn't seem to be focused on PC gamers and has even said as much.  I get performance equal if not better to a Vega 64 with my RTX 2060 and I payed less than half what that card costs. Also I am very concerned with Vega and EFI compatibility and still not play ready 3 compatible. Plus many of the other emerging tech AMD is not ready for. It is looking like even the Intel product coming out this year will leapfrog AMD, time will tell and I truly hope that is not the case.

This is why I have an AX860i PSU so that I can use any power pig video card I want

0 Likes
xaldorn
Adept II

we alrdy send ticket for support, no one cares. 

That was with 19.3.2

MSI 7970 Lightning

Thanks powergoku for that valuable contribution, more and more cases of the same failure arrive and it is good to show them so that AMD does not keep thinking about what is a hardware failure.

Hopefully the solution will come in the next version of drivers or what else we inform in this post.

That's the answer I got from tech support. Let's hope that in the new version of drivers they will be able to correct an error 

Dear Customer,

Your service request : --------------- has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the response.

I see that you are having the same issue with clean installation of latest drivers. In this case, I request you to stick with 18.11.1 drivers as of now and wait for future driver release.

Thank you for contacting AMD.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Santosh

AMD Global Customer Care

Yes, I hope it is true and in this next driver this problem is definitely solved that already has 9 versions in which they have ignored.

adamdz
Adept II

Yes, we all hope this is true and this problem is solved by the stupid driver 2019
We are waiting for that, so we will make sure that the release works properly or not

hockeymanjs
Journeyman III

Have the same issue and also can't find  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions

that key is not generally used with consumer operating systems

0 Likes
xaldorn
Adept II

Any uptade ?

cesarin
Elite

Yes, I have the same question, ray_m some update to this problem? Are you working on this topic or have you forgotten it? we would like to know

Thanks

Since 19.3.3 still does not acknowledge this issue exists or is fixed for those of you that try this driver and it does not work still, please make sure you let AMD know about it once again: Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes
cesarin
Elite

Test Update March 21 2019 

(RESULT = FAIL)

@pokester - @viniabear - @adamdz - @xaldorn

I just tried again the new Adrenalin 19.3.3 drivers released yesterday, but I report the same result, it stops at 33% of the Installation and BSOD.

Attached this video Clip where you can see the result of the test

Crash 19.3.3 on Vimeo 

I also attach the Installation Log of this version 19.3.3 in which you can see that as in the previous versions, it ends with the following error:

[ERROR] - ERROR_DRIVER_PACKAGE_NOT_IN_STORE::[000000ADE1EF7F90] There does not exist an INF file in the driver store that corresponds to the INF file specified by DriverPackageInfPath.

LOG.png

Already with this version are 10 versions, and almost 1 month and a half insisting on the solution of this problem, in which AMD has not wanted to solve the problem and the truth and I do not think they pay attention to this ever again, if they did not solve 10 versions that I've been testing and will never solve it. What only leads me to desist from this issue.

Unfortunately people who initially helped us with the issue as Ray_M, never returned to answer anything about it, then it is something that is out of the hands of users.

I'm not going to wear out any more in passing the report through the AMD technical support form, since in each version it is starting from scratch and they will not solve anything. I leave it to all those who, like me, are affected by this negligence of AMD to decide what to do.

bananinvader
Journeyman III

Hi Everybody!

I too have the same problem. Radeon R9 280X and HD 7970 in crossfire, BSOD at arount 30-40% of the installation.

I think that AMD has fixed the supported products for their drivers for whatever it's worth. I can see "AMD Radeon™ HD 7700 - HD 7900 Series Graphics" on compatibility list for 19.3.3 and 19.1.1.

It is better that you go thinking of buying another video card because AMD does not have the slightest interest in solving this problem.

0 Likes

I was thinking why not try an older driver given that the card is now how old....

Maybe one of the older drivers is a better choice as new ones obviously are not working.

0 Likes

Hi,

If you are running latest up to date and patched version of Windows 10, which is the only Windows OS which is not winding down in less than a year that AMD supports you need the latest and up to date version of AMD Driver for your GPU.
If you look back into release notes there will be certain drivers qualified for  use with certain versions of Windows 10 versions listed here: Windows 10 version history - Wikipedia 

There are also situations where someone could be running an RX Vega 64 Liquid primary, and an HD 7970 OC6 GB as secondary or even fifth GPU on the same system, so you need the installer to be able to install the correct drivers for each GPU and allow both GPU to run o.k. without crashing. 

This is not an unreasonable request.
HD7970 all the way through to Radeon VII are all GCN architecture.
The cards are all supposed to be supported.
I think it is time this was fixed.

Thanks.