Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cesarin
Elite

Adrenalin Software BSOD Crash ON INSTALL (UPDATED May 13 2019) FINALLY SOLVED

May 13 2019 UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED

After 5 months and 13 days when the last functional driver was launched and after struggling with 13 failed versions and without any response, AMD FINALLY launches 19.5.1 version, which solves the installation problem and works as it should . Unfortunately for many all this time is an eternity for the solution of such a simple problem, but well, we hope it will never happen again and that there will be no new problems with Windows 10 May Update 1903.

We do not thanks for this solution, because it is an AMD DUTY to attend and solve all the inconveniences that arise to give support to its users, so we are not doing favors to thank. They are in the obligation to solve this type of problems, on the contrary, it is considered an excessive time for this solution. We hope that with this you also pay attention to an improvement in the service to your customers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is that when you start your installation and when it reaches 33%, 50% or 62%, the PC is restarted and creating a blue  screen (BSOD) with the code 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, generated because of atikmdag.sys and in which it remains in a permanent restart cycle until it is restored to a previous configuration.

Install-y-BSOD.png

When reviewing the Installation.log file, it can be clearly seen that it is an error in the package that causes the installation to stop and fail.

[ERROR] - ERROR_DRIVER_PACKAGE_NOT_IN_STORE::[000000ADE1EF7F90] There does not exist an INF file in the driver store that corresponds to the INF file specified by DriverPackageInfPath.

LOG.png

The latest version that works is 18.12.1.1, November 2018.

There are several affected models, among which are HD 7970, R9 280X, R9 390X, RX460 etc.

List of things that I have tried

• Clean installation of Windows 10
  • Deactivating Antivirus Software and the Internet
  • Uninstall Old Drivers with DDU and AMD Cleaning Tool in safe mode
  • Test the Graphics Card in another computer.

List of failed drivers on install process

• 18.12.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 18.12.3 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.1.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.1.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.2.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.2.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.2.3 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.3.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.3.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.3.3 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.4.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation
  • 19.4.2 (Crash in 62% of Installation)
  • 19.4.3 (Crash in 50% of Installation)

339 Replies

Well you are seeming trying to proving a point that me and the OP never said. I am well aware the R9 280x can load it. It is the 7970 specifically that can't. They are effectively the same card but have different hardware ID. If you actually read I said as much already multiple times. I also said it does load on the 7950. So thanks? for the unneeded links confirming the stupidity in WHY IT DOESN'T WORK ON 7970's. I already said that here as well as in several other threads. I won't bother checking your links as from what I read the OP and I know I already knew everything your said. 

We're having a misunderstanding here. You've told that the 280 was tested working, so as the 7950. I didn't assume it as any sort of confirmation for all 280X models. It might have escaped you that 280X users have reported the same problem as 7970 users (like you and the OP) on this thread, which should be related.

On page 3 ataman said he was having the same problem with a 280X DCII top, and only a 18.11 driver could be installed. My friend running the same model (with updated vbios), confirmed he hasn't such problem with 19.x (it's a Z370 based system). On page 4 aiwaris reported his 280X Matrix Platinum suffered the same problem. So at least, this issue seems to happen on 280X cards too, but not on all systems -- not all 280X cards can load. Hence my previous post.

In the same way, you can take a look at recent 3dmarks results for 7970. Results have been posted with Adrenalin 2019 drivers. Look for /spy/6352948 which is using 19.2.2. (W10 17763, 890FX), spy/5755898 18.12.3 (W10 17763, Z390), /spy/5709341 18.12.3 (W10 17134, X79) /spy/5946120 19.1.2 (W10 177763, X58).

tl;dr, not all 7970 and 280X (or systems at least) are affected, but there is surely some problem with these latest drivers causing this BSOD with these parts. The suggestion to try it on other computer isn't that out of place -> as a means to find what's triggering the driver install problem if a compatible system is found, not that's something wrong with the card. This is the homework AMD should also be doing since this issue was already reported months ago, not the end-users.

0 Likes

Sorry from what you read and what you linked to I took that you were trying to say it should work on this persons system, like it's an issue on their end. They have already had all that advice already and done all that plus this person had been involved in the other threads. So this situation has been exhausted to say the least. Ranging from people telling him it's sorta his fault to saying give up and buy a new card. There isn't much more you can do at this point but wait for AMD to fix it. The big issues is that usually you can just reload the old driver. In many of these cases they are unable to do that, other than those that just re-installed Windows. You sure should not have to do that to get a driver to load.

So thank you for trying to help. I certainly do appreciate that.

In my case I should add I have tried both cards in the same system one loads the other doesn't. That right there tells me driver issue.

jdrobinson314
Challenger

I lost track of where I recommend turning off the compatibility support module in the bios.

0 Likes
xaldorn
Adept II

still no answer ?

cesarin
Elite

Last week I wrote the report that the last 19.3.1 did not work either and only until about an hour ago, I received the response from the AMD technical service where the only recommendation they make is to try my 7970 on another computer to see if the same happens. Is AMD serious? I do not know how to make them understand that it is a problem of their Drivers with the 7970 of any brand.

0 Likes
cesarin
Elite

To add, I just tested my MSI R7970 on another PC with the same results, which confirms once again that it is neither the card nor the PC where it is installed, it is simply the Adrenalin Driver.

Please pay attention to this and give real help from AMD. Thank you

cesarin
Elite

Good morning to all, well, after doing the test of running the card on another PC to discard, I informed AMD that the result had been the same, no solution. But they today sent me this useless and ridiculous answer:

Thank you for the response. I see that you are having the same issue on different computer as well. This indicates hardware fault. I request you to get in touch with your graphic card manufacturer (Asus, XFX, MSI etc.) and claim warranty for the graphic card.

Thank you for contacting AMD. Best Regards Santosh AMD Global Customer Care"

to which I replied

Good morning AMD, I have already told you several times that it is not a hardware failure with my card or computer, since with the 18.12.1.1 drivers that are the last ones that it accepted, it works perfectly, both in design programs and games as GTA V. Then it is a flaw in the AMD Radeon Adrenalin drivers from version 18.12.2 to the current 19.3.1 that generate that flaw. Also if it were a hardware failure of my card, at least it would allow the installation of the driver and it would fail later in the execution of some demanding task, but the fault is that it does not allow the installation and it remains in 33%, this clearly is not a hardware failure
All the necessary tests have been done on the card such as MSI Kombustor and Synthetic Tests like 3DMark and everything is perfect with the card, the drivers fail, but you insist that it is something else not to provide solution in its next versions of Radeon software.
Processing a warranty with MSI does not help because the card clearly has no guarantee for its model, but it is still working perfectly. This as I said it is a failure, punctual of the HD 7970 model of any brand or version with these latest drivers.
Please solve this problem for all users who are in the same situation, because there are many and this can be read on the page of the AMD technical support community.
Thank you

So all the users of HD 7970 and R9 280 and similar that are having the same problems in the installation of the latest drivers, this is the answer that AMD has for all of us.

Simply go and make the guarantee with the card manufacturer and, even if it is a model that clearly has no guarantee as these old models, although they are working correctly, AMD will not be responsible or collaborate with anything else about This problem is clearly a failure of them.

How sad that this is the solution that AMD has for its users.

I agree and hope the pull their head out of their, you know what. All I can say is this is in line with the new idea of support apparently from AMD we have experienced for over a year now. A far cry from what it used to be. When you blame your users for issues those users are going to vote with their dollars on their next purchase. Especially when it is so easy to prove it isn't the hardware. Unless they are saying that the drivers are no longer compatible, but they are not saying that. So it can't be both.

Ray_AMD
Community Manager

I just tested installing the 19.3.1 driver on a system with the following configuration:

ASUS Prime B350M-A motherboard

Ryzen 1700X 
Gigabyte HD7970

16GB RAM
Windows 10 1809
Adrenalin 19.3.1

Tried installs both, using the AMD Clean Install Utility and DDU.

Both completed successfully without any errors.

This is definitely looking to be a hardware or local system issue.

I've sent you a message via Direct Message, please provide the information required,

Ray have you seen all the thread on here about this issue. Those numbers pale in comparison to the You Tube video that none of us put up showing this, and has about many other people saying it's doing it to them.

I have only seen a single complaint myself of a 280x not being able to load the driver and that was on the tail end of the youtube video. I don't believe any threads here say that only some 7970s. There is just to many people saying the same thing in separate places that don't know about the other conversations for it to be an isolated user issue. 

My personal theory is that maybe it has to do with 7970's that were early release vs later? Maybe something in the hardware recognition part of the driver got omitted or number changed or something simple that would cause this?

I have the same problem myself. On the same system the driver will load on a HD 7950 but not on the 7970. When the 7970 tries to load it blue screens. Then you can't get any driver to load again, not even clean installing an old one. I literally have to re-install windows. I have repeated this 3 times now in test. My results match exactly all the other complaints out there.

So no it is not a local issue.

You all might want to try google. I have found this issue in numerous forums.

I do appreciate having some kind of response though finally. So thanks for at least testing it on your end.

I would suggest not blowing this off and passing it to the driver guys. They ought to know where to look for any possible changes that could cause this. As it was a sudden change with all the 2019 drivers.

Thanks!

pokester wrote:

Ray have you seen all the thread on here about this issue. Those numbers pale in comparison to the You Tube video that none of us put up showing this, and has about many other people saying it's doing it to them.

I have only seen a single complaint myself of a 280x not being able to load the driver and that was on the tail end of the youtube video. I don't believe any threads here say that only some 7970s. There is just to many people saying the same thing in separate places that don't know about the other conversations for it to be an isolated user issue. 

My personal theory is that maybe it has to do with 7970's that were early release vs later? Maybe something in the hardware recognition part of the driver got omitted or number changed or something simple that would cause this?

I have the same problem myself. On the same system the driver will load on a HD 7950 but not on the 7970. When the 7970 tries to load it blue screens. Then you can't get any driver to load again, not even clean installing an old one. I literally have to re-install windows. I have repeated this 3 times now in test. My results match exactly all the other complaints out there.

So no it is not a local issue.

You all might want to try google. I have found this issue in numerous forums.

I do appreciate having some kind of response though finally. So thanks for at least testing it on your end.

I would suggest not blowing this off and passing it to the driver guys. They ought to know where to look for any possible changes that could cause this. As it was a sudden change with all the 2019 drivers.

Thanks!

forums galore are full of problems with graphics driver problems, 99% of the time windows is a mess

0 Likes

Can anyone post the platform and OS version you're running (these drivers are wddm 2.5, meant for 1809), which vbios versions do the failing and ok cards have, and if they do or don't support UEFI (there's a mark check on GPU-Z)? These models came to the market at a transition period, and some have much older vbios than others, so it could be worth checking.

For some reason Adrenalin 2019 seem to dislike some factor about those cards, or when they are combined with some specific platforms, OS setting, something that didn't happen until now.

In the past I've had problems with a series of 17.x drivers that caused crashes on (rare) very high asic RX480 cards -- in the end, a vbios related problem on driver side -- which were promptly solved later after reporting to amd staff in here. These things can happen.

Here are the parameters of my graphics card 7970 Lightning which also can not update the drivers I have all the same as the author of the theme. Do I need to create a forum thread too to get an answer ?

MSI 760GM-P23/FX (MS-7641)

AMD FX-4350, 4200 MHz (21 x 200)

8GB RAM

MSI R7970 Lightning (MS-V278)

Windows 10 1809

1.gif

I would say yes since SOMEONE other than the threads OP marked this assumed answered. Since it is pointed out time and time again that this is in fact a user to user forum. Should it not be the users that decide an topic is closed? To my knowledge no rules have been broken. So yes I would start a new unsolved thread or find one of the several others to post in. I can't see where you are breaking a rule doing it as they marked this one answered and it clearly is not. Anyone searching to provide answer because of this won't reply now as they will see it says it's already answered.

I would believe that, as it says, POKESTER, the case should be resumed in this thread since it is NOT CLOSED OR SOLVED, and if it was marked as such it was arbitrarily.

To all those who present the same problem as me, they can raise their contributions in this issue so that we are updated about a possible solution.

viniabear wrote:

Here are the parameters of my graphics card 7970 Lightning which also can not update the drivers I have all the same as the author of the theme. Do I need to create a forum thread too to get an answer ?

MSI 760GM-P23/FX (MS-7641)

AMD FX-4350, 4200 MHz (21 x 200)

8GB RAM

MSI R7970 Lightning (MS-V278)

Windows 10 1809

1.gif

Maybe you should try your luck on the MSI forum where somebody might have a solution.

MSI Global English Forum - Index 

0 Likes
cesarin
Elite

I have Windows 10 PRO X64 1809 in Version: 17763.348, updated to date, in fact, RAY_M gave me a recommendation to install 3 security updates that are necessary for the correct installation of the drivers, so I did it, here you can see the report capture where it indicates that everything is correct with Windows updates. After this I proceeded to restart in safe mode and uninstall the 18.12.1.1 by means of DDU and then restart again to install 19.3.1.0 but the result was the same. You can see it in the next video.

AMD 7970 Crash Adrenalin Drivers 19.3.1.0 (March 2019) on Vimeo 

Status-Updated.jpg

I also attach the capture of GPU-ID so you can see more specific details of my video card to see what else can happen to solve this installation failure. Thank you

GPU-ID.jpg

Have you tried uninstalling the Win10 update KB4482887 ?

As problematic as KB4482887 can be, the posts related with this issue predate that CU release (1st March).

Edit: Related to that, just minutes ago KB4489899 (17763.379) was released. On the fix list is mentioned:

"Addresses an issue that may degrade graphics and mouse performance with desktop gaming when playing certain games, such as Destiny 2, after installing KB4482887."

plus again all the drivers release after that but predating the 2019 drivers loaded fine too.

0 Likes

I hope that helps performance in Anthem!

0 Likes

Downloading to install and try again, but ¿this may affect the installation of AMD Driver 19.3.1?

alleyviper wrote:

As problematic as KB4482887 can be, the posts related with this issue predate that CU release (1st March).

Edit: Related to that, just minutes ago KB4489899 (17763.379) was released. On the fix list is mentioned:

"Addresses an issue that may degrade graphics and mouse performance with desktop gaming when playing certain games, such as Destiny 2, after installing KB4482887."

There was a small patch for Destiny 2 when i loaded the client. Played it for a while and the game seems to be working fine.

edmondvonersung
Adept III

I had 18.12.3 installing just fine on my 280x.

Also, because i had to send back my Vega 64, i'm currently using my old 280x on 19.3.1, didn't DDUed or reinstalled, kept the drivers, everything works perfectly.

So that's something you could look into, install the driver with another card (if you have one anyways) then put back your 7970 / 280.

Good luck !

cesarin
Elite

Well, here I am reviewing the INSTALLER.LOG when trying to install the failed version 19.3.1, and I have found several things that seem to be wrong in the process. I have shown in the following image all the lines that apparently have errors to help me identify and / or confirm that it is the Drivers package that comes with problems.

Error-Log-19310.png

I notice in the error logs "risk mitigation" messages. This may be some internal AMD level driver stuff or it might be coming from windows secure platform. Your latest screen grabbed the GPUz info has an unchecked uefi box. The two are potentially related at a windows level and at the motherboard bios level. I opine it something to do with windows since your getting a blue screen error as well as a log output ( but I don't rule out both parties here ).

Have you tried disabling the compatibility support modul ( CSM ) in your bios? This is located in the Boot section of your bios, scrolled down a bit in the options. If it is set to Auto, set it to disable to disable it ( if you so choose ). Page § 3-53 of you motherboard manual. If you have already done this or tried this, please know it is only my best intentions. If you are able boot into windows, you may have better luck if not different error messages at least.

Auto is not a good setting for the CSM.

Obviously, I will understand if you do not want to try this alone, you have described installation horrors regarding not being able to properly DDU or otherwise after attempting and the resulting failing of installation. 

That's an interesting thought. In my case I don't even have a UEFI bios. Mine is an AM3 with a Phenom II. It's great to have some real constructive ideas on where the conflict can be happening. I just hope these ideas are passed to engineering. Hopefully someone isolates this enough to truly pinpoint the issue. I'm sure there has to be a common denominator in all this causing issue, but none of this changes the fact that the cards did and still do work with the older drivers. So no it isn't a bad card or other hardware being bad.

Thanks ray! I posted this and saw you just posted your reply. We very much appreciate you guys looking into this further.

cesarin
Elite

After Replacing the failed version of 19.3.1, I reinstalled the one that had previously 18.12.1.1 and take this video of the process so that you can see that it is not a hardware error, but the AMD installation package. seen in the Log File. Since this is installed correctly.

https://vimeo.com/323295193

iiatamanii
Adept I

Good day, I think I solved the problem, at least for my video card, but it can help the common cause. I tried out a lot, but the solution turned out to be a video card BIOS. The driver got up, I will continue to test.

Old bios

555.gif

New bios

rrr.gif

I had wondered if it was newer released card vs original with differing bios myself. I know on my card I have the latest offered bios. Still doesn't explain why the older driver loaded and the 2019 drivers don't . Awesome if you at least got yours going. Good Job!

0 Likes

FYI, my friend that is also running a 280X DCII Top without a problem on latest drivers is using that exact same vbios (for anyone with a R9280X-DC2T-3GD5, this bios update is available directly on its asus support page, listed as Version 1.0 2014/01/26).

Edit: Btw, that asus bios only has vram tables for Hynix H5GQ2H24AFR, so please don't atempt to cross-flash it on a MSI Lightning, because the Hynx models use H5GQ2H24MFR (as most HD7970s), not to mention that those are both different custom PCB boards, not reference designs.

Viniabear and cesarin's current 7970 Lightning bios (same) is a very old 015.013.000.010 version prior to UEFI support. Probably the latest was 015.013.000.011.000000 as listed on techpowrup DB, but again, you lose nothing in asking msi support for the latest bios if you want to risk the chance of being more compatible with the latest drivers. With some luck, there could even be a latter rev. with added UEFI support (there was such update for the MSI 7870 I'm using in one PC).

Still, this is something that AMD should look at, as it seems an incompatibility recently introduced on driver side. Many old 7970s models might not have the same luck of having a vbios update, unlike later 7970 GHz and 280X models.

Edit2: Unfortunately no similar update is listed for ataman's R9280X-DC2T-3GD5V2, but you might have some luck by contacting Asus directly. On a side note, I've had a similar triple slot 7970 DCII Top (with Hynix MFR). If this card is like its predecessor, it requires two model specific vbios because of its video outputs (controlled by bios switch).

Edit3: cesarin‌ I forgot to ask the most basic question, what happens if you DDU and then install one of these drivers directly via Device Manager (by pointing to c:\AMD\<driver version>\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF? Per your log, this is just to check if the BSOD problem is with the driver or something the installer tries to do.

iiatamanii
Adept I

Perhaps the solution will find here

VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp 

0 Likes

You've already left clear that 18.12.1.1 can install without a problem via their setup. My question was if you can even install the 19.3.1 driver-only directly via device manager, to check if the BSOD problem is right within the driver or just the installer routines. If it's possible to install the driver manually, you can then add the CCC2 (via ccc2_install.exe), vulkan and hdaudio driver too (provided any of these isn't the culprit), and at least have a workaround until AMD fixes their stuff - OTOH, if the solo driver fails, thing's wont be so easy.

Please understand that the installer has drivers for many different configs and has to do some check routines that are really meant to fail if no suited hardware is found -- some errors are to be expected. As an example, that amdhdaudbus.msi isn't meant for your system (the correct will be AtihdWT6.msi or its inf for the AMD High Definition Audio Device in hdmi). In the same way, amdacpbus.msi (another audio controller) also isn't meant for your hardware.

cesarin
Elite

Good day for everyone, I think the problem is not from the BIOS of the video card, rather from some process that is doing badly the installer package of AMD 19.3.1. and similar in this particular model, since it compares the two INSTALLER.LOG files of each of the versions, the one that serves (18.12.1.1) and the one that does not, (19.3.1) and can see where it does not work the errors that it gives at the end, with which the process does not end and the other capture that if it is installed correctly.

¿Any engineer who can interpret these Installer.Log to help identify where the fault is?
Thank you

Installer.Log File of 19.3.1

Error-Log-19310.png

Although, as mentioned earlier,  I have been able to successfully install the 19.3.1 multiple times on a Gigabyte HD 7970, we continue to investigate the issue.

I will update this thread when we have more information.

cesarin
Elite

RAY thank you very much for the interest of giving solution to this problem, we are attentive to any news about it.

adamdz
Adept II

Unfortunately I have not resolved yet every time I install 19.1.32019.03.15-05.23.png

@adamdz unfortunately so far the last driver that worked with this card is 18.12.1.1, are reviewing in engineering what is happening with the driver package to achieve a solution, as it is confirmed that it is a failure in the drivers with this specific model of cards. We hope that news give us in the engineering department about what they have detected and a possible solution to our problem. They have already passed all the tests and are investigating the case.

Thank you for your contribution as it is confirmed more and more that it is not an isolated case but it is a general problem with the HD 7970.