Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cesarin
Elite

Adrenalin Software BSOD Crash ON INSTALL (UPDATED May 13 2019) FINALLY SOLVED

May 13 2019 UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED

After 5 months and 13 days when the last functional driver was launched and after struggling with 13 failed versions and without any response, AMD FINALLY launches 19.5.1 version, which solves the installation problem and works as it should . Unfortunately for many all this time is an eternity for the solution of such a simple problem, but well, we hope it will never happen again and that there will be no new problems with Windows 10 May Update 1903.

We do not thanks for this solution, because it is an AMD DUTY to attend and solve all the inconveniences that arise to give support to its users, so we are not doing favors to thank. They are in the obligation to solve this type of problems, on the contrary, it is considered an excessive time for this solution. We hope that with this you also pay attention to an improvement in the service to your customers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is that when you start your installation and when it reaches 33%, 50% or 62%, the PC is restarted and creating a blue  screen (BSOD) with the code 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, generated because of atikmdag.sys and in which it remains in a permanent restart cycle until it is restored to a previous configuration.

Install-y-BSOD.png

When reviewing the Installation.log file, it can be clearly seen that it is an error in the package that causes the installation to stop and fail.

[ERROR] - ERROR_DRIVER_PACKAGE_NOT_IN_STORE::[000000ADE1EF7F90] There does not exist an INF file in the driver store that corresponds to the INF file specified by DriverPackageInfPath.

LOG.png

The latest version that works is 18.12.1.1, November 2018.

There are several affected models, among which are HD 7970, R9 280X, R9 390X, RX460 etc.

List of things that I have tried

• Clean installation of Windows 10
  • Deactivating Antivirus Software and the Internet
  • Uninstall Old Drivers with DDU and AMD Cleaning Tool in safe mode
  • Test the Graphics Card in another computer.

List of failed drivers on install process

• 18.12.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 18.12.3 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.1.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.1.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.2.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.2.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.2.3 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.3.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.3.2 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.3.3 (Crash in 33% of Installation)
  • 19.4.1 (Crash in 33% of Installation
  • 19.4.2 (Crash in 62% of Installation)
  • 19.4.3 (Crash in 50% of Installation)

339 Replies
xaldorn
Adept II

im thinkin to buy vega 64 after that support no way to buyin amd again, good bye vega 64 welcome rtx 2070.

I have a vega 64 and have been experiencing this issue for month.

iiatamanii
Adept I

Good day, as I understood the problem is that AMD stopped supporting Tahiti XT2 chips, I have R9 280X, you have HD7970 but one Tahiti XT2 chip, while Tahiti XTL chip is installed on R9 280X cards after November 2013 according to unverified information works without problems on 19.2.3

viniabear
Adept I

I have MSI Radeon HD 7970 Lightning My computer processor AMD fx 4350 the problem is the same

cesarin
Elite

What more evidence of a fault in your drivers do you want AMD? will it be that you do not read these forums to find out about the serious failures that the drivers have in old and recent models?

I suggest using a second disks and try a clean install of windows 10 and the latest driver and see if that works

too hard to guess with a forum post and some off handed rants

Dear Friend, that which you suggest has already been tried and I do not solve the problem.
If you can read all this post, you will realize all the possibilities that were tried and
it was not possible to install it. BSOD in 33% of Installation.

I know you sent a message to AMD but I think there has been another driver release since then. I know it also does not work. Do however make sure you keep reporting this issue again for every driver release that does not fix or acknowledge the issue in the release notes. Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

cesarin wrote:

Dear Friend, that which you suggest has already been tried and I do not solve the problem.
If you can read all this post, you will realize all the possibilities that were tried and
it was not possible to install it. BSOD in 33% of Installation.

with 74 replies I may have missed that. Which is why I brought it up.

if the clean install is choking then there is a fault with the hardware.

0 Likes

No, a hardware failure was already ruled out after many stability and performance tests and also from other testimonials from people who have the same HD 7970 video card who experience the same problem. When perishing is a clear incompatibility with this series of cards in the latest drivers and not a hardware failure.

cesarin wrote:

No, a hardware failure was already ruled out after many stability and performance tests and also from other testimonials from people who have the same HD 7970 video card who experience the same problem. When perishing is a clear incompatibility with this series of cards in the latest drivers and not a hardware failure.

I presume you are using windows 10

0 Likes

Yes, Windows 10 Pro X64

jdrobinson314
Challenger

Wow long read.

I noticed that at some point in the driver updates that windows + bios will perform a pcie level reset of the graphics card. This is evidenced by the screens all blanking out. At least I think that's what's happening. I don't think the older cards are capable of this.

Setting that BF aside, and leading into another...

It might be possible to manually install all the files and hope windows picks up on them as drivers - just bypassing radeon installation - you would basically need to have a catalog of where everything goes - sort of like the old .inf, based driver installations.

And  bf #3, try hitting the install button and then unplug the monitor and hope for the best - an eventual reboot might mean a successful installation.

Bf # 4,

When registry keys don't exist, you can make them yourself - you just gotta be exact.

0 Likes
cesarin
Elite

Yes, I have done so, I have reported in each of the versions that are coming out as 19.2.3, informing that the installation did not work either, but still without solution or answers from AMD

I didn't understand. The issue has been resolved ? I can install the latest drivers on the 7970 using a regular AMD installer. I do not want to reinstall Windows after the crash. Make a guide how to do this, the translator can not accurately translate what you wrote

No sir, the problem has not been solved, it is known that it is a problem in the latest Adrenalin drivers but AMD has not done, or do I think it does anything to solve it.

This is an ongoing issue with the 2019 drivers. Drivers from November 2018 and earlier will load. To my knowledge AMD has not listed this as a known issue. I would recommend following these threads about this topic on this site. When it is fixed I would imagine it will be said here. Then you will know it is safe to load a newer driver on a 7970. If you can't find the thread later you can ask in your own thread. If you are already a victim of trying to load this driver and it not working, then please do report the problem to AMD:  Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

Have you tried the latest driver?

Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.3.1 Release Notes 

Try installing them on top of the existing (working) drivers. No DDU.

Also, this is assuming no third party graphics controls are installed on the computer...Afterburner, Trixx, Asus, etc.

0 Likes

asus amd r9 280x matrix platinum same problem on 19.31.1 

0 Likes

Thanks Kingfish, I will try them even if the HD 79XX is not in the compatibility list in case it suddenly works and I comment.

0 Likes
iiatamanii
Adept I

Kingfish, unfortunately not a clean installation is not on top of the old has not brought success, the question remains open.

0 Likes
cesarin
Elite

I just tried these new 19.3.1 and it also did not work in any way, again BSOD in 33% installation.

• Clean installation of Windows 10 PRO
  • Dismantling with DDU
  • Dismantling with AMD Cleaning Utility
  • Deactivation of the internet and AV software

None of the above worked.
I already passed the report to AMD that this version does not work either. What makes me lose all hope that they solve this problem. I think there's nothing left to do.

There is IMHO no logical reason other than an existing bug for it to not load on this model. So I'll hold out hope for you that they get this fixed. Until then just use a version that works still if you can. Sorry this has been such a pain. It shouldn't be this way.

0 Likes

It is true, this has been a problem for all users of this model, but the truth is that AMD no longer has any interest in solving this as it is an old model and concentrate all their efforts in devoting time to models Recent So there is nothing left to resign itself to that this is not going to be solved.

0 Likes

cesarin wrote:

It is true, this has been a problem for all users of this model, but the truth is that AMD no longer has any interest in solving this as it is an old model and concentrate all their efforts in devoting time to models Recent So there is nothing left to resign itself to that this is not going to be solved.

maybe its time for a new video card, lots of cheap ones on ebay

0 Likes

Yes, it is certainly also what AMD technical support thinks

cesarin
Elite

Unfortunately I just downloaded it and try again the 19.3.1 but still does not work, it has the same failure despite the fact that they already listed the HD 7970 again in the list of compatible models.

Hopefully as someone helped us to list it again, they can help us to make pressure to correct this important driver failure.
Thank you

0 Likes

I have replied to rays post here asking him about the issue. I had already asked matt so I don't know what more to do. Done all I know how to. 

cesarin
Elite

Looking for a possible solution, I found this video in which you can see perfectly what happens. It seems to everyone that it happens not only to a few. Amazing that AMD does not pay attention to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwHLH9JO5Yg

amdmatt‌  ray_m  has this issue been passed to engineering. Is AMD aware and working on a solution for why all of our HD 7970's can't load the 2019 drivers but other Tahiti/GCN  even the direct re-badge r9 280x can?

cesarin
Elite

Yesterday I had the opportunity to test the installation of Adrenalin 19.3.1 on a HD 7850 on another PC and it could be installed without any problem, confirming once again that the problem is exclusive to the HD 7970. It surprises me that in a lower model of the same HD 7XXX series if it can be installed but in the HD 7970 no. I already reported the problem back to AMD but the emails do not respond anymore.

0 Likes

cesarin wrote:

Yesterday I had the opportunity to test the installation of Adrenalin 19.3.1 on a HD 7850 on another PC and it could be installed without any problem, confirming once again that the problem is exclusive to the HD 7970. It surprises me that in a lower model of the same HD 7XXX series if it can be installed but in the HD 7970 no. I already reported the problem back to AMD but the emails do not respond anymore.

That suggests an issue with your machine and a possible incompatibility. Have you checked to see if there is a new BIOS for the motherboard? 

0 Likes

Yes, I do have everything updated to the latest version, both BIOS and Window.
Actually I do not think it is incompatible with my machine, since many users with HD 7970 with
several hardware configurations, are having the same problem. It's a problem with the AMD drivers
for that particular model.

hardcore there at about 50 people in about 9 threads on this forum complaining of the same issue with the HD7970. Are you about done helping this person who has already exhausted every possible thing they could do from their end. The card worked fine with the older driver. It was trying to load the new driver that screwed things up. Exactly the same thing the others complained of. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

hardcore there at about 50 people in about 9 threads on this forum complaining of the same issue with the HD7970. Are you about done helping this person who has already exhausted every possible thing they could do from their end. The card worked fine with the older driver. It was trying to load the new driver that screwed things up. Exactly the same thing the others complained of. 

This is why I suggested a newer card. Might be better than flogging a dead horse.

0 Likes

I hope not I have one too! It still work fine on the 280 and thats the same card. It's likely a hardware id issue or something similar that is easy to fix. In normal AMD fashion you just have to have enough people complain for AMD to address it. I have already asked ray and matt to pass it to engineering. Hopefully they have. A customer should not have to buy a new card for a still supported product. The responsibility is on AMD to fix the issue. Plus that card can still play every game released even today. Maybe not at ultra anymore but at least medium settings. It was one heck of a card in it's day. 

cesarin‌ given that you have a very particular custom model, have you tried to go on the MSI forums  (you must provide serial number, even if missing the few last digits, and a current bios dump) and ask for the latest vbios to see if there is any change to your situation? Their support is very helpful on that matter. GL

0 Likes

This isn't a particular model issue. It is affecting HD 7970's of all makes and models. 

The weird thing is that it isn't affecting all Tahiti GPUs like the HD7950, hence my suggestion. I have a friend running a R9 280X DCII (iirc the vbios update on its support page was applied some years ago), I'll ask him if he's having issues. There was one failing in this thread.

If you check the 3dmark results page, there are multiple examples of R9 280Xs with driver v.25.20.15002.58 (and later), that is 18.12.2, which you and the OP can't run.

AMD Radeon R9 280X video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X... 

AMD Radeon R9 280X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2600 Processor,EVGA EVGA E679 

AMD Radeon R9 280X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-7700K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.... 

19.1.1:

AMD Radeon R9 280X video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 2600,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF B450M-PL... 

AMD Radeon R9 280X video card benchmark result - Intel Xeon Processor X5680,Dell Inc. 0D881F 

Correct my HD 7950 loads the 2019 drivers the HD 7970 does not. It is not model specific it is wide spread with the 7970 and I have no idea why AMD does not acknowleged the issue. But all reports are the same they are working fine then loading the new driver doesn't work and you can't regress to older drivers after this. That part I have have found with my 7950. I can load the new drivers but if I run DDU and try to load a pre 2019 driver it now fails. Something weird going on that these 2019 drivers do. So good luck fixing it if your driver install fails.

0 Likes