cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

msasti
Adept I

Adrenalin Edition 23.2.1 with RX 7900 XT - instant freeze on install and lock screen

Hi!

I tried installing the new drivers today and I got an instant freeze after the drivers were installed (just as the progress bar was nearing it's end). PC always freezes on the lock screen after a restart. There's maybe a second of correct behaviour, but I can't input more than one number of the PIN before the screen freezes. I can't get to the Bug Report Tool, so I'm writing this post in hope someone sees it. I tried using AMD Cleanup Utility, DDU, and disabling fast boot but nothing seems to help. 

System worked fine on previous drivers (22.12.2).

1 Solution
msasti
Adept I

Completely fixed in drivers 23.3.1.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
20 Replies
Eneslabase
Journeyman III

Hi i have same bug and i have 7900xtx i dont have solution .

juvuk
Adept I

Exactly the same, 5800x3d with 7900XT freezes up on the lock screen, i had to boot into safe mode and remove adrenaline, rebooted and let windows install its own driver just to get running again, guess we will be re-installing the older version again for now.

AMD_cire
Challenger

Well, we must have new habit then.. Install new driver, freeze, rollback, pretend no new driver published and go on back with your activity.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
Chris3
Adept I

After installing the new driver for "XFX RX 570" Windows 10 insn`t starting anymore. Safemode doesn`t work. Reparation failed. AMD please help soon!

0 Likes

doublepost. sorry

0 Likes

Same issue. Freeze on lock screen. Had to uninstall the driver in safe mode. Now back on 23.1.1.

7900XTX
Ryzen 5 5600X
Gigabyte B550 Vision D, BIOS F15
32 GB RAM
Windows 11, 22H2

0 Likes
KennyB
Journeyman III

Same thing. Screen went black. I rebooted and input my Windoze Pin in the blind and desktop came up but no applications will run. They all go immediately to the tray. Safemode doesn't work. So AMD, what gives?? You screwed up our computers. 

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

I would do a checkdsk on c: aka os drive. Then run "sfc /scannow" and dism repair commands to make sure windows install is good.

0 Likes
msasti
Adept I

UPDATE: I've created two bootable Windows To Go drives, one with Windows 10 and the other with 11. I tried installing the 23.2.1 drivers first thing after they booted and got some results. Windows 10 froze during install and on the lock screen, Windows 11 went through the install process just fine and froze on the lock screen after a restart.

0 Likes
msasti
Adept I

UPDATE 2: Disabling Adaptive-Sync (Freesync) in my monitor's OSD fixes this issue. (ASUS PG329Q)

Could you help to check your BSOD dump file?

It seems this is the same issue.

[DPC_Watchdog_Violation][amdkmdag.sys][RX 7900 XTX/XT] Discussion Thread

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/dpc-watchdog-violation-amdkmdag-sys-rx-7900-xtx-xt-dis...

0 Likes

There's no bluescreen when I'm encountering this issue, so I have no dump to share.

0 Likes

ohh, thanks!

0 Likes

Is it possible to use Enhanced Sync in the meantime or does that require Freesync to work?

Or do I simply have to stick to V-sync until AMD releases a fix?

0 Likes

Enhanced sync will work without freesync

0 Likes

does not solve the problem
I need another solution

0 Likes
msasti
Adept I

UPDATE 3: Lowering refresh rate from 165Hz to 144Hz in display settings allows me to keep using Adaptive-Sync (Freesync).

0 Likes
msasti
Adept I

Completely fixed in drivers 23.3.1.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, this does not help me.
I need a solution for the command prompt in Windows RE, because no other solution works for me without data loss and reinstallation.

0 Likes

OH MY GOD! THANK GOD. Not AMD!!!!!!

0 Likes