cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

coreygeer319
Journeyman III

Adrenalin Drivers: Constant BSODs "Thread Exception Not Handled" Atikmdag.sys

Providing the information below will get you a faster response from the community.

Describe your system:

• Radeon HD 7700
  • Desktop
  • Windows 10 64 bit
  • Drivers: 18.1.1 and 17.2.1 all Adrenalin drivers have this issue with me so I'm now using 17.11.4 without any issues (the last Crimson driver)
  • Display Devices
  • Monitor #1: AOC 2476W1 - 1920x1080 @ 59Hz - connected via HDMI
  • Monitor #2: AOC 2770M - 1920x1080 @ 59Hz - Pretty sure it has an HDMI to DVI adapter on it
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision - eMachines ET1331G - Default System BIOS - That's what it says, but it's a ECS MCP61PM-GM (you can't update the bios if there even is one because it's not supported anymore)
  • CPU/APU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor 3.2GHz
  • PSU: Corsair GS700
  • RAM: 8GB

Describe your issue:

• At random times, I'll get a BSOD that says thread_exception_not_handled and the problem will be with atikmdag.sys. It might be during a game, it might be while I'm watching YouTube or it might even be sitting at idle, you don't know when it's going to happen.
  • All graphics settings are left on default without overclocking or touching anything in them. I've tried turning everything as low as it can go and I've everything on high or settings in-between but it doesn't make a difference.
  • This is only happening with the Adrenalin drivers, the Crimson drivers work just fine and I'll never get a BSOD.

Before someone says it, I know the system is old. I'm very aware but there's nothing I can do about that right now because I can't afford any kind of upgrade at the moment. I just wanted to share all the details I have because this is ONLY happening with Adrenalin drivers, not Crimson.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

You can submit a bug report at www.amd.com/report.

0 Likes
andrius
Adept I

I started getting the same BSODs on my Radeon 7750 after installing the latest Adrenalin drivers. Think I'll just rolled back. Before this I haven't even seen a BSOD in like 5 years.

Unfortunately, this is all we can do. As you can see above, we're told to submit a bug. It's not a simple bug, it's an entire series of drivers and you can only pick one specific driver when submitting a bug.

It keeps bugging me to update but nope, not doing it. I've tried the clean install, uninstall, etc. There's a problem with Adrenalin drivers and only the Crimson drivers are working for some of us.

perkas
Adept II

I have exactly the same problem as you, and i bought recently my PC:  Intel i7 6700k, Gygabyte Z170X Gaming 5...

I uninstalled previous Crimson  driver with DDu in safe mode, but no lucky => BSOD..

Revert to the last Crimson 17.11.4 and all works fine.. I have report to AMD filling the form..

Serveral people report this issue in this forum, but no reply from AMD..

misfit203
Journeyman III

The Adrenaline Series drivers also crashed my PC with BSOD like 5+ times a day for months, upgrading never helps, nor does uninstalling / re-installing. the only fix is to downgrade back to Crimson series drivers. very disappointing AMD, i been a fan of your products for over a decade.

coreygeer319
Journeyman III

Against my better judgment, I'm going to try upgrading the driver again.

I've changed hardware and I'm hoping that will make a difference. Just in case, I'm keeping the 17.11.4 installation file though.

I now have a MSI Z370-A Pro motherboard and an i3-8100 CPU. Maybe the old CPU was making it crash. I don't know but I'm going to go ahead and upgrade, even though I fear it'll still do the same thing.

0 Likes
boyd
Adept I

i dont understand why amd would recommend older cards to update to newer drivers.

the driver download platform or autodetect program does nothing but to give you the latest driver.

0 Likes