Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Adrenalin driver breaks Command & Conquer games

Jump to solution

The Adrenalin 18.1.1 Alpha driver which addresses this specific issue is now available here : Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.1.1 Alpha Release Notes

View solution in original post

Miniboss
Miniboss

Jump to solution

supervargen wrote:

Yea ray_m, that's right. OUR feedback. You know the feedback you tried to stop by locking threads so we could not diskus it.

The same you do with OpenGl.

INHMWzv.jpg

I think we should give Ray_M a break.  It was the holidays, and for all we know Ray could have been dealing with the aftermath of twelve gallons of Jim Beam or Chivas Regal (for the twelve days of Christmas),  accentuated by twelve very long and aromatic cigars....Smiley Wink  I sympathize with him--a quick review of the forum reveals he is constantly bombarded with dumb questions by people too lazy to read up on their "issues" (which often result from simply not following written directions) but not too lazy to forgo coming out here and asking questions that cannot be answered by anyone because the customer is too lazy to leave his hardware and software environment details.

Questions just like: "Help! Black screen and nothing else. What do I do?"  Such ludicrous question are unanswerable.  But Ray_M sees dozens of such posts daily.  It's got to wear on any sane person's patience quotient--as in exhausting it from time to time.

I knew for instance when Ray said it was *probably* not going to be worth the trouble to investigate and correct that Ray had simply put his foot in his mouth.  It happens.  These issues were caused by a simple driver bug that I knew AMD was going to fix, even if Ray_M had a hangover as big as Jupiter and his tongue temporarily got in the way of his brain.  It happens to *everyone* occasionally.

Instead of the raw panic I saw, and people behaving irrationally over a single statement made in the forum over the holidays when everyone else in the tech companies was likely twelve feet under and nursing their own apocalyptic Christmas-New Year hangovers--all it would have taken is a little common sense to understand that AMD makes 3d accelerators to enable its customers to have a superior experience and *no way* was the company simply going to set back and say, "Aw, let 'em eat dirt, the bums--who cares about those silly games, eh?" I don't believe AMD has ever said that or done that, actually--in its history of manufacturing 3d-accelerators.  So why should they start now? They shouldn't and wouldn't--of course.

The Internet can be a wonderful source of information that is valuable and timely--but it can also lead to mindless panic and become a recycling station for information that is wrong--and not just wrong--it is often just stupid and sometimes idiotic.  Not only was the Internet utterly wrong about this--the vitriol spewed about AMD by clueless people over this one sentence by Ray_M--that didn't even say what the people doing the hating on AMD said that it said...Smiley Wink  Ah, it was all just too nutty!  Predictably AMD named it a driver bug and is fixing it even now and has already released an alpha driver that anyone playing that short list of games can use to play them--that is, if they simply cannot wait on the next official, non-alpha driver release from AMD that will do an even better job of fixing it.

For instance, discussing ignorance running wild on the 'net, how many people actually realize that "Spectre" and "Meltdown" are not names for viruses or malware or worms that are actually in circulation and being passed around and harming people's systems?  Someone with exceedingly poor judgment--probably Google, I'm guessing (because Google was involved in the hacking that "discovered" the vulnerabilities----came up with the bright [not] idea of calling these proof-of-concept vulnerabilities by these terrifying names.  Names like this are generally never assigned to mere vulnerabilities for which *no exploit software exists anywhere in the public domain*...they are reserved for worms and/or malware that is actually in circulation and actually "infecting" people!  But in this case, someone obviously wanted to panic the public and ignite the ignorance factor--I've already seen posts on the Internet in which people are asking, "Will my computer actually melt if I get Meltdown?"  and "Can Spectre read all of my encrypted data?"  Answer to both questions is "no."  You cannot be "infected" with either Spectre or Meltdown because such named malware of any description does not exist on planet Earth at this time--but the people who pushed these ridiculous names on the Internet have been very dishonest about the whole thing, imo.  Shady and sneaky--like Apple--seeking to exploit the ignorance of many people who try to use computer tech today.

I tried 17.12.2 and it indeed is bugged and would not open any of these games on Windows 10x64, version 1709, build 17074. The alpha driver runs every one of them.  I have re-installed 17.12.2 because I am not actually playing these games atm and am content to wait on the official fix in the next driver release.

Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

It looks like is fixed in Beta 18.1.1 Driver o.k.
The Witcher Enhanced Edition is running fine for me now.

It would not even launch with Adrenalin 17.12.1 or 17.12.2.

Bye.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hello,

Main ressources ingame (tiberium) still has the issue. Tiberium is pink with my rx 480.

Basically, now the game starts but there are graphic problems.

AMD please fix directx9 issues. There are issues since early 2017. Yes, I said, 2017. Check this link : Weird discoloration in Command & Conquer 3 since driver 17.2.1

I'm very sad that amd couldn't fix these simple issues, and couldn't provide a stable driver for directx9 since a year now :-(

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

Driver 18.1.1 fix start DX9 games, but don't fix discoloration in DX9 games.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Recent history of directx9 with AMD drivers :

- 2016 and before : works pretty good, but flickering screen on some games : special amd patches needed for many games.

- Déc 2016 : almost no more flickering, but discloration with many directx9 games.

- Déc 2017 : broken directx9, Many games can be lauch, but they are broken anyway (bugs & crashes).

- Jan 2018 : directx9 is "fixed". But discoloration is returned ; with slightly diffrent effects than before.

... and actually, we don't know how many games are still affected in addition to the "main ones".

Please AMD devs, release stable driver for directx9, finally.

New optimizations should absolutely not break older functionnality. This is how the world of PCs works.

Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

This reply is really to anyone having this discoloration issue. I absolutely believe it is happening however not completely sure what exactly we are talking about here. Like a strange overall shift in screen color? Or say a screen having a blue or other screen tint to it? Or say just individual textures having a severe tinge of odd color to them. If someone could post a good and bad picture comparison to link to it may help direct someone better to the problem. While I don't know that any of my DX9 games are doing this, I also don't know that they are not. But I have had some seldom, but frequent enough issues under DX11 in Battlefield 1 specifically. Two different odd things happen one the whole screen will sometimes go into a Dark Blue heavy overall screen. The other is that textures like when I am riding the horse just me and the horse are red colored. I did not have this before the latest driver. But it's random that it happens and restarting the game definitely fixes it. Just really curious if your issue is similar and maybe not just isolated to DX9.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

The issue is the discolouration with the Tiberium in Command & Conquer 3.  Someone has posted a picture a few posts above.  It has a pink effect around it which shouldn’t be there.

0 Kudos
Exemplar
Exemplar

Jump to solution

Any response to this AMD team?

With all due respect you haven't fixed this issue you only have a workaround.

Also you cant pull out the ''Game is too old'' card anymore as AMD stated regarding this issue.

Don't you think it would be a good idea to actually respond here?  

Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

+1

Please, respond and/or fix it.

0 Kudos