Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Zingel1986
Adept I

Adrenalin crashing when freesync enabled

Hi,

This problem drives me mad, it exists since I bought my RX6900XT in January.

When I am using freesync with my LG 38GL950G monitor (G-SYNC, but also free sync compatible) the AMD driver software crashes with black screen so hard that the PC has to be reseted.

Only disabling freesync in Adrenalin fixes the problem.

On games like Satisfactory theses crashes do not appear most of the time. On most other games the behavior is the following:

When starting the game, the refresh rate drops to 10 fps, stabilizes and then ramps up to 87 where the complete system freezes.

If I have the Windows Desktop on Screen while the games are starting, I am able to prevent the crash most of the time.

The problem is easy to reproduce in the game Snowrunner.

I am using Adrenalin 21.9.1 but had the problem since version 20.x.x

Here are my system specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

ASUS Crosshair VIII formula

32GB DDR4-3200 RAM

AMD Radeon 6900XT reference design from PowerColor

bequiet Dark Power 11 1000W PSU

A friend of mine with a nearly same system, experiences also these crashes but on another monitor which is supports freesync natively.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I already tried to limit the refresh rate, without success. Enhanced sync was disabled, as I have read it earlier that this function seems to cause problems.

But I found a solution to this problem. I have to admit it sounds stupid, that I did not tried it before. When turning my monitor off and on again after I got a black screen, it works again.

It is not a elegant solution, but at least it works.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

I have just been reading the specs sheet on LG's website and it says nothing about Freesync..

Although reading a review says freesync available over display port 1.4..

When I got my RX580 I had problems too, had to pay for a premium DP cable.. The one that came with my monitor was rubbish..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

It is VESA Adaptive Sync compatible, which is to my knwoledge another wording for Freesync.

I think this is because of the whole nvidia G-SYNC marketing, that freesync is not mentioned officially.

I doubt that my DP Cable could be a problem. It worked fine with G-SYNC and I can get freesync to work also( just with the above mentioned problems).

0 Likes

Do You have Your fps limited?

If no, please limit them to -3 of Your refresh rate of the monitor.

Do You use Enchanced Sync?

If yes disable.

From Release Notes:

• Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
0 Likes

I already tried to limit the refresh rate, without success. Enhanced sync was disabled, as I have read it earlier that this function seems to cause problems.

But I found a solution to this problem. I have to admit it sounds stupid, that I did not tried it before. When turning my monitor off and on again after I got a black screen, it works again.

It is not a elegant solution, but at least it works.