cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Disorder5966
Journeyman III

Adrenalin 22.11.2 Valve Index Black Screen

After upgrading to Adrenalin 22.11.2  I cannot log into Windows 11 without unplugging my Valve index from my 6900xt. After UEFI boot both of my monitors are black screens. After unplugging the index both monitors display as they should and I can plug the index back in, this is annoying as hell to do every boot though. Anyone else experience this? I reported the bug during the driver beta and downgraded but seems nothing was done about it. Looking like I'm going to have to roll back again.

14 Replies
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

If you don't already know it AMD is super slow to respond to bug reports and it takes lots of them with compelling evidence to motivate them to address the problem. 

My 6900xt has its quirks too and soon I'll see if they translate over to an Intel based system as I trade out my x570 system for a Z790 with 13900k.  I'm fairly certain that I'll be moving to a rtx 4090 in the coming weeks.

did you have factory install turned on it with factory reset the settings turned on too when u installed/updated the drivers what will make your screen not vlack screen in valve index

0 Likes
zachcheatham
Journeyman III

I'm having the exact same issue on Windows 11 in addition to non-VR games causing my monitors to go black when they launch into full screen when the index is connected. I switched to a 6800 XT from a nvidia card and figured it was something wrong with Windows. Both issues had went away after a clean install of windows and using 22.11.2, but after about three days, the issues returned with no configuration changes! I hope AMD addresses this soon. I filed two bug reports for both issues.

DylanMangual
Journeyman III

Same issue here on windows 10. Every driver update after 22.5.1 causes black screens on startup or launching games when my index is plugged into my 6800xt. I tried switching displayports/dp cables updating bios and drivers, but nothing works. Only "fix" for me is keeping the headset unplugged until I use it or roll my drivers back to 22.5.1

Benago1
Adept II

Have to ask. What is this index your talking about? I have had the black screen on my center monitor. I use 3. What I did to stop the black screen is clock the gpu. I use a gigabyte waterforce 6900 xt. Seems that AMD is doing something with the software when it sets up the gpu and it creates issues for some.

DokiPon
Adept I

Can confirm this is happening to me too.

Recently bought a 6950 XT and when running the 22.11.2 driver (latest as of posting this) with my index connected, I've been having a ton of GPU related issues. Some examples are:

Not being able to change my resolution in the Windows settings. It's grayed out in the settings 

GPU losing its video signal when starting games like Garrys mod. Resulting in having to restart my pc. 

Games not being able to start on the correct screen resolution. On my case it was Apex Legends that couldn't boot and gave me errors regarding my screen resolution.

Note that these issues only appear when I boot my PC with my Index connected and being set to direct display mode inside the Steam VR settings. After finding this post and rolling back to 22.5.1 it seems to have fixed everything so far as of testing.

I really hope AMD can look into this issue because it is a huge problem with everyone that owns an index and runs an AMD card. It really needs more attention. 

My setup:

Ryzen 7 5800x3D

ASUS TUF RX 6950 XT OC

16 GB DDR4 3200Mhz

Windows 11 Pro

06 JAN 23

Received my 7900 XTX yesterday and straight out of the box encountered this issue after installing the full Adrenalin package of software/drivers, I was most upset to say the least!

Anyway, after finding it only happened when the index was powered up on boot, this is how I rectified the issue:

Re run the Adrenalin driver install as though you were having to repair it. However, choose to Factory Reset and only install the "Drivers", nothing else i.e. not the full Adrenalin package.

This has worked for me and since reinstalling as stated above has worked flawlessly, hope this helps.

0 Likes

Unfortunately this doesn't solve the issue for me. Still the same, have to unplug the Index before I can even sign into windows. Only thing that helps is reverting back to version 22.5

Benago1
Adept II

Thought I would throw this in. I have seen this posted, do its kind of a repost. Run just the drivers from AMD. Seems something with there software conflicts with things. I use a 6900 xt and have the issues you guys have. Black screen, freezing and shutdowns at random times. I run just the drivers and use ASUS software to do any overclocking if I desire. For everyone information. Microsoft is now allowed to push OEM drivers. You have to go into your settings and change thins so they can not.

Lufy
Adept II

You can fix the blackscreens without disabling MPO, you just have to find out which background apps are causing gpu driver to crash, for me i fixed it updating to edge dev build and then disabling hardware acceleration in edge, i do not even use edge i use firefox which makes things even more strange.

If not had a blackscreen for a week on Windows, but if decided to just switch to linux for now, drivers are unpredictable i still do not trust them.

Walewyn
Journeyman III

Replying to refresh this topic as I have the same issue. With the new drivers installed *currently on 23.2.2.* whenever i reboot my PC my monitors do not get a signal from my 6900XT. I have to UNPLUG the Index headset to get  signal back. 

0 Likes
AftertasteMD
Journeyman III

Replying to this to refresh, experiencing the same issue. Details here on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/129wy2z/valve_index_amd_adrenaline_driver_black_screen_...

0 Likes
autbo
Journeyman III

I just bought a 7900 XTX and I am experiencing this issue, except it will steal the signal from my monitors as soon as I plug it in. I literally cannot use my Valve Index because it thinks it's a monitor. I came from an RTX 2070 Super and did not experience this problem. Sigh, this is a dealbreaker. Might have to return it and bite the bullet for an RTX 4080 instead...

EDIT: I can get the Index to work correctly if I strain my eyes to try to find the start SteamVR button while looking through the lens of the headset. SteamVR starts and video displays in the monitor again and the VR game shows in the headset. But, and I mean a major but, the video output on the Index has a severe delay of probably over 100ms. This makes VR unplayable without motion sickness, and I never get motion sick!

EDIT 2: It seems that after enabling Direct Display Mode in SteamVR it has solved the problem of the Index stealing the video output from the monitors. Don't know what turned it off because I have always had it on. However, the significant motion-to-photon delay still persists.

0 Likes
autbo
Journeyman III

@Matt_AMD Please look into this.

0 Likes