cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

idiocracy
Adept II

Adrenalin 21.12.1 crash if voltage is adjusted.

Just like adjusting the fan speed, if you adjust the voltage at all from the default value. Computer will eventually crash.

It does not matter if it's set to 500mhz at 1170mv, it will still hard crash computer and force a reboot. But if you leave the voltage default you are allowed to adjust the frequency of the gpu.

DDU has been tried to no avail.

6 Replies
crystalyser
Adept III

erm..... just likethefan speed?

1. if i set at P1, P2 ,P3...  my preferred value for temp/clock speed everything is fine,
    but if i also change the fan speed/voltage it can cause hard crash?
    if never read something befor about a problem with change the fan speed values?
2. Means until the 22.01.1 isnt released i/we should better do no OC with the radeon software
    because, without undervolting and customized fanspeed " some amd gcards heats up 20°C more..
    like my xfx 5700xt thicc 3... my gpu will beat me hard if he reach again 104°C+, just for playin any game i like ^^
    Or is it a malfunction of the graphiccards bios?! so it will be senseless to try it with afterburner because the same
    crashes will happen? because without oc there is no reason to play games like BF2042 because the performance
    with oc is already, puh......... not so nice ^^

So if i activate the manual settings its improtant to "try to do not" touch the value box of fan speed/voltage,
because radeon dont struggles with his own setpoint range but with every other individual?

how? is there a different range for individual setpoints?

sry for the bad english but google translator dont likes IT talk

greetz

Ryzen7 5800X 4,95ghz; LLC3; 420mm Liquid Freezer2; Corsair RGB Pro SL 32gb/2 - 3600mhz CL18; Sapphire RX6800 Pulse OC; Asus XG27AQ 165Hz; MSI X570 Gaming Plus PPT:137W EDC:135A TDC:95A; BeQuiet! PP 730W
0 Likes

I don't know exactly what is happening, it could be that the bios won't allow adrenalin to adjust the fan curve and then eventually crashes. Or if adjusting the fan curve makes the bios crash the card.

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/5700xt-crash-and-black-screen-when-adjust-fan-speed/td-p/12536...

I'm running the silent bios on a red devil 5700xt. If i adjust the fan curve at all, even the slightest, PC will eventually hard crash. Disabling it will fix the crashes.

Same goes for voltage, if i adjust it in even the slightest way, PC will eventually hard crash. Disabling it will fix the crashes.

Mobo bios is updated, everything is running stock speeds and voltages, nothing is oc'd. I returned everything to stock in an attempt to isolate the issue. And i've found that not touching fan control or voltage control fixes the crashes.

Should be noted i have not tried running afterburner. I've read that afterbuner does not play nice with radeon gpu's.

0 Likes

If your not running an MSI MOBO and MSI GPU be it Invidia or AMD yes Afterburner can be problematic. I did use Afterburner when I ran my 2 RX 590s in crossfire and it worked pretty smoothly. You just have to remember to uncheck the box for Invidia support in the advanced options during installation. Now I'm running a Power Color Demon Series RX 6900 XT so I just use AMD Adrenaline software.

In my personal experience AMD GPU's are very finicky when you mess with the voltage. I find it best to let the MOBO BIOS to auto select the voltage and just use AMD Adrenaline custom tuning software for your overclocking preferences. This was if something messes up your PC will just restart with AMD Radeon settings set to default. 

I know it's a lot of trial and error but if you use Adrenaline software right it will protect your system from catastrophic failure and damage. Please be careful PC hardware is expensive I want your build to stay cherry. In other words don't try to fix what isn't broke.  

0 Likes

I have never used the mobo bios to adjust gpu power. I would always do it through software, be it custom gpu bios or other app ie: adrenalin or afterburner.

I have a msi b450 mobo, and red devil 5700xt.

0 Likes

This is where i'm at right now.

Default voltage 1188mV. 2000mhz at 1188mV is fine, if i set 1400mhz at 1180mV, it will eventually hard crash pc. Every 5700XT can run 1400mhz at 1180mV, and also lower. So why mine is hard crashing my pc i do not know.

When the crashes occur, it's always gpu related. Maybe i'm watching a streamer on twitch, and it can crash when it is loading the video. Maybe i'm starting a game and it can crash when some sort of rendering is happening, and stuff like that.

It's the same with the fan curve, if i adjust it in any way, it will eventually randomly hard crash pc.

Right now i'm running 22.1.2, and that has not helped anything.

0 Likes