For many many years I have been able to install AMD W7 drivers on Windows 8.1 since they quit supporting it.
However with the Adrenalin 2020 driver release its the first time I seen AMD not letting you install the driver at least not the control panel and all the extra features despite all the previous Adrenalin drivers working just fine on my W8.1 system.
I find it peculiar behaviour of AMD, I am very reliant on using Windows 8.1 because of stability and speed also because its still officially supported by Microsoft until 2023 whether they want to or not.
Windows 7 is too old and out of support next year, Windows 10 is way too unstable causing way too many issues for me and Linux is out of question, its still mostly just a server OS hobby coded into a desktop OS with nothing in it, no AMD control panel or anything.
Has anyone managed to get Windows 7 drivers of Adrenalin 2020 to install on W8.1? I have only gotten the driver files themselves to install but the control panel refuses, I was wondering if I could overwrite the lock on the control panel and force it to install or recognise W8.1 as approved OS.
I have been AMD user for almost 22 years, I find it ridicules that regardless how featureless nVidia drivers are you are still allow to install it on W8.1, even if AMD does not support it, preventing you from doing it is anti-consumer and I assume that the Windows Server systems are not supported either.
If I had a company with 500 computers running Windows Server 2012 R2 and utilising AMD GPU's, suddenly AMD wont support these Server 2012 R2 because of POLITICS? It makes me heartbroken, and yes I do realise AMD Is just a giant Corporation but when nVidia AND Intel support these systems and wont block you out of them it makes me question this.
I am now either locked to old drivers forever, or forced to jump onto Windows 10 which means I have to backup my operating system C drive before it tries to update, everytime, each backup takes almost 4 hours. This is a lot of wasted time, currently I do backups each month, now I am forced to do it weekly or even multiple times a week because W10 updates always break at least something.
AMD needs to start listening and stop telling me where I cannot install my drivers, Windows 8.1 should be put in as unofficially supported again, I have had ZERO issues in W8.1 with them but Adrenalin 2020 put an entire stop on that for me.
And by the way AMD, it will take me 3 days to reinstall this computer and having to reconfigure, setup everything as it is currently on W8.1 which was installed first time in 2014, thanks very much.
Even the professional drivers for WX series are no longer available for W8.1, I have WX7100, I cannot even use it on my W8.1 system anymore either, ridicules.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Adrenalin 2020 can be installed on Windows 8.1 x64
1. Download latest version for Windows 7 x64 (Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.3)
2. Start installation, select folder for unpacking
3. When message that it could not be installed appears, close program
4. In "Device Manager" select your device with mouse right click and choose "Update Driver Software..."
5. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
6. In next screen browse to folder where installation is extracted and choose folder "AMD\Win7-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-19.12.3-Dec18\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF", click "Next" and wait for installation of driver to finish
7. Now to install CCC (Control Panel), go to "Program Files\AMD\CCC2\Install" folder, run "ccc2_install.exe", and wait to finish installation (it could take few minutes)
8. In "Start" menu find group "AMD Settings" run Program "AMD Settings" and configure it (it must to be run manually first time to activate auto start of all services and programs)
9. Wait few minutes for background processes to finish and Restart system (not "Shutdown" and turn on)
Now you have installed complete driver and Control Panel (AMD Settings), and autorun of AMD Settings and all services activated.
AMD software and OS version: