Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

john007
Exemplar

Re: Adrenalin 2020 on Windows 8.1?

Jump to solution

Comment edited to preserve sanity.

Hello,

I'm getting quite a few calls with friends having trouble installing the 2020 driver on 8/8.1

After manually installing the driver following the post exact, on booting up to Windows, when you first select Radeon settings, the GUI crashes out?

Selecting the Radeon settings again brings up the GUI? How strange? This is Windows 8 and 8.1 and an NT version which is basically the same as Windows 8.1 but without the store and GUI features.

I'm going slightly mad trying to figure all this out.

Cannot believe they have locked the driver out, to actually implement this and not fix the massive list of bugs.

What we haven't tried is the custom INF from easy so thanks for the update, it would be great if it was signed but how the hell could that be achieved these days?

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

I would not worry about running Adrenalin 2020 on Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 will probably be EOL before they get Adrenalin 2020 working.

0 Kudos
pilav
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Hi. I'm stuck at step 5. When i clicked it it says my drivers are latest version please help i can't do it.

0 Kudos
easy365
Adept I

Jump to solution

Just first chose uninstall driver from "Device Manager" at that point, and continue with installation as described.

pilav
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Should i restart my computer after doing that ? Because it didnt work when i didnt restart. It says same thing.

0 Kudos
smgjohn
Adept III

Jump to solution

You should always restart your computer after doing a manual driver install. 

But I suspect AMD is making it harder to install these drivers on purpose as they need to be heavily modified, Microsoft are also purposely adding bugs and glitches to Windows 7 and 8.1 to force them to update to W10, my friend with a Ryzen processor uses Windows 7, his OS breaks randomly at times, never seen such breakage before.

You might be better off just using W10, get Education or Enterprise as they allow you to config much more and let you control the update process, you can buy these OEM keys legit around the web for petty penny.

easy365
Adept I

Jump to solution

It is best to restart after each install/uninstall step.

So if you are uninstalling old driver, then uninstall - restart.

Install new driver - restart.

Install CCC (AMD Settings) - restart.

Run  CCC (AMD Settings) manually from Start Menu (AMD Settings -> AMD Settings) - close and restart.

Check if  AMD Settings are in Notification Area of Task Bar (they should be), and if not, run AMD Settings manually again and restart.

Try NOT to install latest Adrenalin 20.4.1 because with this version my two different cards (HD 7750 and RX550) went "crazy".

So I reverted to Adrenalin 20.2.2 (which is "recommended") and it seems to be stable (for now).

imscheck33
Adept I

Jump to solution

Now after following these steps from easy365 until point 8, i cannot find "AMD settings" anywhere to start it. There is no such directory in my start menu.

Is this crucial to have? I like to play pc games but im not into overclocking or finetuning or whatnot.

0 Kudos
easy365
Adept I

Jump to solution

You need it to be able to change settings for your graphics.

Try re-installing CCC (point 7.), restart PC and then check again.

If no entry is found in Start Menu (also try to find it with search "AMD Settings") then run it manually: "C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSoftware.exe"

If your system disk is different then replace "C:" with your system disk.

After first run again restart PC.

imscheck33
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks for your quick reply!

I tried already everything you proposed and re-installed a fourth time now. Its just not showing up.

Under "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext" there is only a "CCCSlim" folder with lots of .dlls and stuff.
I dont find any .exe or folder named "AMD settings"  or "RadeonSoftware" on my whole PC. However, in the list of programs to "uninstall/change programs", it lists "AMD settings", which i can successfully deinstall, if i want to.

I also did the restarts at suggested steps.

The driver is working fine, however. And the ccc2 installer .exe completes successfully...

I think the .exe i need (RadeonSoftware) is missing. I used the download from the link in your first post btw.

Would there be some way to execute the file with cmd.exe?

0 Kudos