cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dpruzi
Journeyman III

Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.1 install causes automatic repair loop in windows 10

I've never posted to a forum before so if i'm doing this incorrectly I apologize. Specs are as follows,

Motherboard: Asus ROG x570-E

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Asus ROG 5700XT

RAM: 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz CL 16

Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO

PSU: EVGA 750W

Drives: 1 TB NVME SSD, 2TB HDD, 480GB SSD

Two days ago my system crashed in the middle of playing Call of Duty, it rebooted into an automatic repair loop cycle and also mentioned something about my windows os file being corrupted? I tried countless things from command prompts (most of which did not work) to reseting my pc while trying to keep my files. I called windows to see if they knew of anything I could try but ultimately decided that reseting my system and formatting my drives was my only solution. Finally upon booting into windows for the first time in a day I decided to download all my drivers and start fresh. I downloaded my vga, lan, wireless drivers and then started the Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.1 download. I got into Adrenaline and the download goes for about a minute or two before it puts me into an automatic repair loop cycle again. I decided to test my theory on it being the drivers fault by downloading other applications the next time I reset my pc and installed windows. I successfully downloaded, launched, and used several applications with no problems, then I tried to download Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.1, once more my system crashed into an automatic repair loop. I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem or if anyone can help me find a solution, I don't have the money or patience to go out and try and get a 3000 series card and definitely wont be giving my money to radeon ever again. If any further information is required please let me know and again i'm sorry if this is all wrong.

0 Likes
17 Replies

Sorry for your issues that sucks.

You may be able to skip the repair and get the system into safemode with networking. If so you can download DDU from wagnardsoft dot com and then install a prior driver to 20.11.1. 

If not:

I would highly suggest you reset again and don't install that 20.11.`1 driver. Try a previous one, especially if there was one you used successfully before 20.11.1.

Make sure to report this issue with the 20.11.1 driver to AMD as they won't see it in this USER TO USER forum. 

Report it to AMD here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
piofran
Journeyman III

hi. i had a bit similar problem with Adrenalin 2020 in which every 2 days my AMD drivers uninstall automatically. Windows Update used to tell me that all my drivers and up-dates were up to date, so i though the problem was somewhere else, but AMD support recommended me to update windows 10 from it's original website https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/software-download/windows10 and clicking on "Update" (sorry the website is in spanish) and the result was that my windows 10 wasn't actually fully upgraded.

They also recommended me to use the  AMD Cleanup Utility to clean the drivers, and, only then, install the Adrenalin 2020

0 Likes

This is extremely helpful and I will be trying it momentarily.

Thank you

0 Likes

Never mind I cant even get past windows setup now without getting stuck in a black screen boot loop. Not at all sure what might be causing this now but I hope its not hardware related. If anyone is familiar with ROG BIOS' please message me or reply to this post because I believe something to be wrong with either my boot order or boot settings. I tried clearing CMOS already and it didn't help.

0 Likes

Asus support would be able to help you with your bios options. You should be able to go to your motherboard website and download your board's manual. They usually have very good instructions for the bios options for things like boot order. 

0 Likes
nicou8
Journeyman III

Hi, Did you solve the problem?

I have the same problem with the drivers.

0 Likes

Not yet, I can't even boot into windows at this point. I'm going to call my motherboard manufacturer tomorrow to try and get some help. I would try the AMD cleanup utility stated above^ other than that tell AMD of this issue maybe it can get addressed quickly.

0 Likes

I was finally able to get into Windows 10 today but I haven't tried downloading the graphics drivers. I did a system reset so I feel like there's no reason to download the amd cleanup utility since there's no drivers on my drives to cleanup. I'm leaning more towards trying to download an older driver at this point so i'm just trying to figure that out now.

0 Likes

If you have no AMD driver installed, Windows 10 will install them.
Go to Hardware and sound -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters. 

What do you see? 

If you see Microsoft basic display adapter then no amd driver installed. 
If you see the name of the GPU, Microsoft will have gone and done its dirty business on your PC and probably installed a very old driver.   

0 Likes

It just says microsoft basic display adapter

0 Likes

Have you been able to finally load a driver prior to 20.11.1?

0 Likes

im not sure where to find drivers before 20.11.1, 20.11.2 came out today but Im honestly scared to even try it being that I finally got into windows. Other than that my system has been randomly restarting now so im hoping that stops.

0 Likes

On the driver download page the there is a small blue text hyperlink the reads "Previous Driver" I wish they made this much bigger so it stuck out to people. If you ever need older drivers that precede what AMD has available guru3d dot com has a great repository of older GPU drivers going back years. 

Oh meant to say I understand being gun shy on the new driver. Guess all you can do is try if you feel lucky LOL. 

Also if you have a current driver installed and want to regress to an older driver, you should run DDU from wagnardsoft dot com to get a clean slate for doing that. If you are installing into a fresh windows install not necessary. 

0 Likes

After reseting windows I tried to download adrenalin 20.8.2 and it still put my system into an automatic repair loop. I'm completely stumped at this point and I have no idea what to do. Any advice is appreciated.

0 Likes

Hello!

I know this thread is 2 years old, but maybe you notice this and give me a reply. I just wanted to ask if you were able to find a solution for this problem, since i have exactly the same thing happening to my PC, except my card is an R9 270x from 2014.

After some game crashes i've got to a point where i literally can't install any AMD drivers for my card, because that puts me in an auto repair loop and i have to use DDU in safe mode. If i don't install an AMD driver the PC can boot fine. I'm almost ready to move on and just go out for a 3060 since this graphics card is so old. All i can think of is that the hardware is faulty but maybe you figured something out and could give me some advice.

Thank you for your reply!

0 Likes

Which build of windows are you running.
Type winver at the command line.
Post result here.

Remove all 3rd party overclocking tools.
MSI afterburner can be one cause of this problem.

See: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/adrenalin-2020-20-7-2-high-cpu-useage-on-ryzen-2700x-8...

Windows Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.630)

0 Likes