Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

needsnurfing
Adept II

Re: Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.2 - No "Streaming" tab

Jump to solution

I'm glad AMD is looking into this, first we lose ryzen master and now it's impacting the gpu software. For me, Hyper-V is a must, if i keep losing features from AMD products it will leave me with little choice but to look for alternatives.

0 Kudos
waltc
Miniboss

Jump to solution

needsnurfing wrote:

I'm glad AMD is looking into this, first we lose ryzen master and now it's impacting the gpu software. For me, Hyper-V is a must, if i keep losing features from AMD products it will leave me with little choice but to look for alternatives.

That's an interesting idea, except that there really aren't any alternatives....;) You could build another boot partition without HyperV for gaming/streaming, if need be--that wouldn't take but 15-30 minutes or so, imo. (Might be best doing that, anyway.)  At any rate, it's rather silly to get all lathered up and hot on the first day of the new driver paradigm release, eh?  If it bothers you that much just roll back to the 19.12.1's--problem solved, eh?   But I think they will fix this, certainly, since this wasn't a problem for anyone in the 19.12.1's....;)   Patience, Kemosabe...;)

Basically, driver is a new UI with several new features--some options don't show when other incompatible settings are ticked--but when those incompatible settings are ticked off, the old options show--they pop up, visible for the first time.  It's tempting not to read the little ? blurbs AMD has gone to a good deal of trouble to enumerate after most options in the new driver UI, but it's true, reading pays...;)   If you are like me then you press the button first, read the ? blurb, second...;)  I'm terrible about not reading instructions! 

An example is the Global setting for Enhanced Sync for instance.  When Enhanced Sync is turned on globally, all of the other vsync options disappear. When ES is disabled globally, then and only then do the tried & true options for vsync, like vsync off, Always on, etc. become available.  This is different behavior than the older drivers, of course, where Enahnced Sync was merely one of many vsync options--it still is, but it's handled differently as AMD wants to get ES out there a little more, I'd guess.  It's surprising how many posts I see daily in some places made by people who *still* have no clue as to what it is and how it works.  AMD has an excellent little brief tutorial about Enhanced Sync--but judging by some posts I'm still reading these days, not enough people bother to bone-up on the option. 

Honestly, it's annoying to read posts like, "OMG, AMD, you moved an option!  How dare you???  Oh, sheeeet, I'm gonna' die now!  Pass me the noose--goodbye cruel world!  Argggghghgh!"  Some of these posts--not yours, here--but some of them are...simply unintelligible!  I'm sure you know what I mean! 

0 Kudos
verysimplenick
Adept II

Jump to solution

Okay, I found by myself -> 0x12407 change 7D to FF. Anyway thanks for advice.

0 Kudos
tom_rus
Adept I

Jump to solution

Yeah correct place, but I did a bit different change...

For old Ryzen Master 2.0.2.1271 at 0x12409 change 0F 84 to 90 E9.

There's newer version 2.1.0.1424 of Ryzen Master available and offset for this version is 0x14E67, same bytes.

0 Kudos
tastyratz
Adept II

Jump to solution

I have a serious fundamental issue with AMD fighting with virtualization-based security lately. First Ryzen master and now this. Ryzen master has been an absolute trainwreck with the "already installed" issues going on 4+ years no solution (EASILY quick fixed with an installer override switch) but they might as well ask people to disable antivirus now with vbs!

I uninstalled hyper-v to make ryzen master work, this did not fix.

Windows includes a new feature called sandbox that's part of the security suite. This is built into windows and leverages virtualization to isolate processes. I have sandbox installed, but, not hyper-v.

Virtualization security is being used more and more and integrated into windows desktops and common av platforms for secure isolation.

Why is amd (ironically pushing cpu core count sku's) making the only platform requiring virtualization security to be nuked to function in light of all the intel cpu flaws hitting the public eye? Are they looking for a spectre/meltodown of their own? 

Clearly, if someone can hex edit their applications to disable this problem but then still function successfully this is NOT a functional requirement.

Why did I have to hunt through a forum for an answer to this instead of a warning message on the streaming tab that amd isn't taking security or functionality seriously ?

0 Kudos
tastyratz
Adept II

Jump to solution

@tom_rus 

You are AMAZING and just fixed ryzen master for me!!!

I'm struggling with the Radeon change, however.

When I open 

C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSoftware.exe version 10.1.2.1788

and pull up the line for offset  0x2C3453 

I see:

FF 84 C0 74 15 48 8D 15 44 01 61 00 41 0F BF CE

So, where you mentioned changing 0x74 to 0xEB I actually instead see

74 15

Am I missing something? Is there something somewhere else?

How did you find those offsets so I can find it and disable in the future without a post?

0 Kudos
tom_rus
Adept I

Jump to solution

Well that's correct... You just change single byte here 74 to EB as described in my post and that's it...

0 Kudos
needsnurfing
Adept II

Jump to solution

Do we know if changing these bytes opens up vulnerabilities or lessens security and maybe that's why AMD has chose not to present this option?

0 Kudos
tastyratz
Adept II

Jump to solution

Thank you! I haven't normally messed with these, this is a lifesaver! 

I haven't had RM working for over a year and now I have that.

I now have a streaming tab where I did not before.

If only AMD did the same and took a more reasonable default position!

Can I ask, how did you find which byte in the exe?

I don't want to bug you every driver update every few weeks or hope for a post so I can have a functional driver.

Did you search for something in the hex editor? find it by means of another program?

I really appreciate your time on all of this. 

0 Kudos
tastyratz
Adept II

Jump to solution

Actually @needsnurfing,

This allows you to keep virtualization isolation and security on your system. This is MORE secure than the default position it seems of not allowing you to have security enabled.

By bypassing VBS, you're leaving your system more vulnerable and insecure. By disabling virtualization, you're also disabling functionality and specific process isolation security models that also leave you less secure.

Unless there is some verified AMD functionality which specifically conflicts with VBS in testing we are unaware of, I can't understand why they would take this position other than defaults with QT maybe? AMD has not, as far as I am aware, made any statements around this specifically (unless someone can link me otherwise to something somewhere)

0 Kudos