cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bitfunk
Adept I

Adrenalin 2020 - Can't output 4k@60hz

So, I'm currently running the 19.9.2 driver with no issues whatsoever. My current link speed is 5.4gbpsx4 which is enough to do 4k@60hz with 8bpc. However, when I update to any new driver that AMD offers(Including their new 2020 edition driver) my link speed is halved to 2.7gbpsx4, which is not enough for 4k@60hz. I'm also using a Club3d DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 adapter which connects into a HDMI2.0 port on my Samsung TV. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Thanks.
EDIT: Just to add. When I update my drivers and go into Win10 display settings, I'll set the desktop resolution to 3860x2160 and then go into advanced display settings where it has the active signal/desktop resolution listed as being 4096x2160, which is obviously not what I selected.
System Config:

Mobo: ASUS sabretooth z170 mark1
BIOS ver: 113-C8800100-101
GPU: AMD Fury X
Driver: Adrenaline 2019 19.9.2(WHQL)
Memory: 32gb ddr4
OS version: Win 10 x64 18362.476
Steps to reproduce: Just installing a driver later than 19.9.2 seems to cause the issue.
Expected behavior: The monitor runs at 4k@60hz.
Actual behavior: The monitor runs at 4k@30hz with a slower link speed being displayed in AMD settings.

1 Solution
shuttlexpc
Adept I

Also, beyond my rant, here's how to fix it since you ain't getting **** from AMD support:

1) Set your resolution to 3840x2160 in the Windows Display Settings menu

2) Go into the "lovely designed" AMD software and create a custom resolution with these settings:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet 

3) Go into Windows Display settings again, choose "Advanced Display Settings" then choose "Display Adapter properties for Display x" at the bottom.

4) Once the menu opens, choose 3840x2160 @60hz at the bottom.

You should now be OK, but with a Samsung TV you may have to activate, "UHD HDMI Color" in your TV's menu's.

You may be asking, how does this guy know so much about this? Well, AMD has done this now a record total of 3 times in driver releases over the last few years. Their record to fix it was 17 releases later - yes, 2 years of time to fix a display resolution bug.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
shuttlexpc
Adept I

I've been having the same issue as well, anything beyond 19.9.2 prevents utilizing TV's as monitors that are utilizing an display port to HDMI adapter that allows 4k 60hz over HDMI on a 1.4 output. AMD won't do crap to fix this, I've reported countless errors to them and they simply ignore them for YEARS. Looks like I have to switch back to a monitor.

shuttlexpc
Adept I

Also, beyond my rant, here's how to fix it since you ain't getting **** from AMD support:

1) Set your resolution to 3840x2160 in the Windows Display Settings menu

2) Go into the "lovely designed" AMD software and create a custom resolution with these settings:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet 

3) Go into Windows Display settings again, choose "Advanced Display Settings" then choose "Display Adapter properties for Display x" at the bottom.

4) Once the menu opens, choose 3840x2160 @60hz at the bottom.

You should now be OK, but with a Samsung TV you may have to activate, "UHD HDMI Color" in your TV's menu's.

You may be asking, how does this guy know so much about this? Well, AMD has done this now a record total of 3 times in driver releases over the last few years. Their record to fix it was 17 releases later - yes, 2 years of time to fix a display resolution bug.

Thanks I'll try this. Do I need to use those exact resolution settings you listed? Or, can I just copy past my current ones from AMD settings whilst running 3860x2160@60hz on 19.9.2?

0 Likes

Thanks, that worked with the settings you posted. It does try and auto fill each value with the settings that had been working in 19.9.2 but I'm guessing that's what causes the bug in the first place? How you figured out that those specific settings work is beyond me. Frustration truly is natures most powerful motivator.

0 Likes

Just fyi I ended up just using my 19.9.2 display specs to create a new custom resolution in 19.12.2. I also opted for Windows' native refresh rate of 59.9394hz which apparently helps eliminate some stuttering and input lag. I'd highly recommend doing the same. Thanks again.

Will post my settings down below if you're interested.

0 Likes

I can't save this resolution? Any ideas?

0 Likes

Hello!! Can u please repeat a picture from the paragraph 2 ? :)
I have the same situation. Asus R9 290X .. DisplayPort >> Adapter_HDMI >> HDMI in 55" OLED 4K LG. 3840x2160 only 30HZ.
About one year ago i had 60hz in the same resolution, one change since that time - new AMD driver ...

Thanks a lot !!!

0 Likes

No 4K@60Hz option with my R9 290 and a Club 3d HDMI to Displayport adapter with any driver above 19.9.2. Why! C'mon AMD, I've been a loyal user of your products since the 1990s. Can you please fix this?

0 Likes

19.9.2 helped me 

i turn hdmi 2.0 on at my tv (thomson) 

and then with this driver it works now !!! 
yeaaaasssss

thanks a lot man 

0 Likes

Thanks,

It helps but can you share the custom resolution setting for 2k@60Hz as most of the games run at 2k@60 smoothly with R9 Fury

AMD driver support is pathetic

0 Likes
krkan
Journeyman III

I have the same issue with an R9-280. The custom resolution fix worked, then I enabled gpu scaling and it broke again and stayed broken. Went back to 19.9.2.

0 Likes

19.9.2 seems to be the only stable driver for GCN era cards right now. You can use this custom res fix to correct the bugs brought by the later drivers but, for me at least, it leads to certain games having problems.

0 Likes

How do you get the custom resolution to save? It tells me it is incompatible even though I can do 4k 60 on 19.9.2

0 Likes
dincozd
Journeyman III

Just for an extra bit of information; make sure you download the latest AMD software as well as the driver. Updating the driver only isnt sufficient for this fix, as the old software will block you from creating this custom resolution. 

0 Likes

Which software is this? Don't you get the software automatically anyway when downloading the driver?

Either way I tried it with the software and it blocks the resolution. Only up to 19.9.2 does 4k 60 work.

You update the driver through the software. That doesn't update the software itself. You have to manually download the software to upgrade it

0 Likes

Hi,

I have a Radeon R9 280 connected to a Sony XH9005.

Since the R9 280 only supports HDMI 1.4 (so no 4k60) I tried using a Club3D active Display Port to HDMI adapter.

However, I still only get 4k30 in Windows.
When I try to set a custom resolution, following your post from 12-12-2019 I get a "resolution not supported" message.
I already completely installed the latest Radeon Software (Version 20.11.2) and even tried setting 60hz in CRU.

Both with no success, 4K60 still not showing up and I still get the message that the resolution is not supported.

Interestingly, when I use a Display Port 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 Cable (instead of a DP to HDMI adapter, with a HDMI cable plugged into it), I still DO NOT get 4k60 natively in Windows but I CAN set the custom resolution (with the "not supported" message).

The thing is, I would rather prefer the adapter, as my HDMI cable (which supports 4k60) is already completely routed / cable managed, where as the DP > HDMI cable itself is too short.

Any ideas on how I may get 4k60 running with the Club3d DP to HDMI adapter?

BTW: I will keep the constant issues with AMD drivers in the back of my head when purchasing a new graphics card...

0 Likes
ucidalin
Journeyman III

Awesome Thanks!!!!!

I've been looking for this answer for about a week now.
I just hooked up my New TCL 43s421 TV for a monitor.

This seems to have fixed the 60Hz problem, except now my color depth dropped from 10 bpc to 8 bpc.

Is there an option to change it back to 10 bpc?

Oh, I forgot I'm using the 20.10.1 drivers.

0 Likes