Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Adept I
Adept I

Adrenalin 2020 - Can't output 4k@60hz

Jump to solution

So, I'm currently running the 19.9.2 driver with no issues whatsoever. My current link speed is 5.4gbpsx4 which is enough to do 4k@60hz with 8bpc. However, when I update to any new driver that AMD offers(Including their new 2020 edition driver) my link speed is halved to 2.7gbpsx4, which is not enough for 4k@60hz. I'm also using a Club3d DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 adapter which connects into a HDMI2.0 port on my Samsung TV. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Thanks.
EDIT: Just to add. When I update my drivers and go into Win10 display settings, I'll set the desktop resolution to 3860x2160 and then go into advanced display settings where it has the active signal/desktop resolution listed as being 4096x2160, which is obviously not what I selected.
System Config:

Mobo: ASUS sabretooth z170 mark1
BIOS ver: 113-C8800100-101
GPU: AMD Fury X
Driver: Adrenaline 2019 19.9.2(WHQL)
Memory: 32gb ddr4
OS version: Win 10 x64 18362.476
Steps to reproduce: Just installing a driver later than 19.9.2 seems to cause the issue.
Expected behavior: The monitor runs at 4k@60hz.
Actual behavior: The monitor runs at 4k@30hz with a slower link speed being displayed in AMD settings.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Adrenalin 2020 - Fury X display issues

Jump to solution

Also, beyond my rant, here's how to fix it since you ain't getting **** from AMD support:

1) Set your resolution to 3840x2160 in the Windows Display Settings menu

2) Go into the "lovely designed" AMD software and create a custom resolution with these settings:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet 

3) Go into Windows Display settings again, choose "Advanced Display Settings" then choose "Display Adapter properties for Display x" at the bottom.

4) Once the menu opens, choose 3840x2160 @60hz at the bottom.

You should now be OK, but with a Samsung TV you may have to activate, "UHD HDMI Color" in your TV's menu's.

You may be asking, how does this guy know so much about this? Well, AMD has done this now a record total of 3 times in driver releases over the last few years. Their record to fix it was 17 releases later - yes, 2 years of time to fix a display resolution bug.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I've been having the same issue as well, anything beyond 19.9.2 prevents utilizing TV's as monitors that are utilizing an display port to HDMI adapter that allows 4k 60hz over HDMI on a 1.4 output. AMD won't do crap to fix this, I've reported countless errors to them and they simply ignore them for YEARS. Looks like I have to switch back to a monitor.

Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Also, beyond my rant, here's how to fix it since you ain't getting **** from AMD support:

1) Set your resolution to 3840x2160 in the Windows Display Settings menu

2) Go into the "lovely designed" AMD software and create a custom resolution with these settings:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet 

3) Go into Windows Display settings again, choose "Advanced Display Settings" then choose "Display Adapter properties for Display x" at the bottom.

4) Once the menu opens, choose 3840x2160 @60hz at the bottom.

You should now be OK, but with a Samsung TV you may have to activate, "UHD HDMI Color" in your TV's menu's.

You may be asking, how does this guy know so much about this? Well, AMD has done this now a record total of 3 times in driver releases over the last few years. Their record to fix it was 17 releases later - yes, 2 years of time to fix a display resolution bug.

View solution in original post

Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks I'll try this. Do I need to use those exact resolution settings you listed? Or, can I just copy past my current ones from AMD settings whilst running 3860x2160@60hz on 19.9.2?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks, that worked with the settings you posted. It does try and auto fill each value with the settings that had been working in 19.9.2 but I'm guessing that's what causes the bug in the first place? How you figured out that those specific settings work is beyond me. Frustration truly is natures most powerful motivator.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Adrenalin 2020 - Can't output 4k@60hz

Jump to solution

Just fyi I ended up just using my 19.9.2 display specs to create a new custom resolution in 19.12.2. I also opted for Windows' native refresh rate of 59.9394hz which apparently helps eliminate some stuttering and input lag. I'd highly recommend doing the same. Thanks again.

Will post my settings down below if you're interested.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with an R9-280. The custom resolution fix worked, then I enabled gpu scaling and it broke again and stayed broken. Went back to 19.9.2.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

19.9.2 seems to be the only stable driver for GCN era cards right now. You can use this custom res fix to correct the bugs brought by the later drivers but, for me at least, it leads to certain games having problems.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Just for an extra bit of information; make sure you download the latest AMD software as well as the driver. Updating the driver only isnt sufficient for this fix, as the old software will block you from creating this custom resolution. 

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Which software is this? Don't you get the software automatically anyway when downloading the driver?

Either way I tried it with the software and it blocks the resolution. Only up to 19.9.2 does 4k 60 work.

0 Kudos