cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kaotik
Adept II

Adrenalin 2020 / 20.1.1 HDR works better, but still broken on 5700 XT

As I reported earlier in another thread, Adrenalin 2020 (19.12.2, 19.12.3) broke HDR which worked fine on last Adrenalin 2019 drivers (19.12.1, was originally fixed in 19.10.1).

Now the 20.1.1 drivers seemed to fix the HDR issues, but I was mistaken it seems.

SDR-games seem to work fine, though with most the screen is always in "DisplayPort HDR" mode even if the game is SDR, which is ok since it still seems to look right.

On Windows desktop everything seems to work, it's not too dim, washed out and HDR videos seem vivid like they should.

In Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice the HDR works, but you need to alt+tab out of the game and back in after launching it to make it work - otherwise the screen is just too dark.

In Star Wars: Battlefront II HDR is completely broken. The display says it's in DisplayPort HDR mode, but the image is washed out  / grey / dim. Alt+tabbing, switching HDR off and on again etc doesn't help, going borderless mode makes everything so dark you can barely see anything on the screen. 

Ryzen 7 3700X @ stock

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16

ASUS Prime X570 Pro

Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse

Creative Sound Blaster Zx

750W Seasonic Focus+ Platinum

Windows 10 Pro x64, build 1909

Samsung C32HG70 (DisplayPort)

edit: UPDATE: Star Wars was because of Radeon Image Sharpening apparently, disabling it fixed it for me.

0 Likes
2 Replies
mclingo
Challenger

Hi, is this the issue i've already reported twice maybe, HDR works but colours are washed out?. If it is essentially what is happening is that the app or game is using the Private AMD HDR API and not windows HDR and  is not sending BT2020 colour space to your HDR terminal.

This is a bug with the driver/HDR API and has been broken since this card came out, we've proved this now as we have a workaround executable file which when enabled fixes the issue. All you do is download the files and run HDR on to fix it, and then HDR off to put your PC back in SDR mode, this is only a workaround and might not work with games.

simply extra to a folder and run from there, dont rename any files.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12UBbLcIA31efiApUcWiwAXLUubpTWYds 

here is a more detailed explanation of the bug which was diagnosed and provided by DMU on the Doom9 forum.

The agsSetDisplayMode() function used to set a specific display in HDR mode, does its job perfectly: it sends metadata to the display device, which is defined in section 6.9 «Dynamic Range and Mastering InfoFrame» according to Table 5 of the CTA-861 standard. But in the same Table 5 there is also «Auxiliary Video Information (AVI)» defined in section 6.4. And all display devices are required to use the color space (colorimetry) from this data section (AVI InfoFrame) for the current video signal.
Suppose we are in SDR mode with the standard sRGB color space. And we want to switch to the HDR mode with the BT.2020 color space, which is the main one for this mode. By calling the agsSetDisplayMode() function, we put the display device in HDR mode. And we see distorted or unsaturated colors. This is because the display device did not receive the corresponding flag from the GPU in the AVI InfoFrame and is trying to display our BT.2020 color space in its sRGB.
Please tell me, do you think that such HDR support in AGS_SDK is sufficient? If yes, then advise what else needs to be done so that the display device passes into the correct color space when activating the HDR mode using AGS?

mclingo

Hi, no change in HDR and color saturation. Colors are bright. The only thing that happens is that the whole picture is sharper, too much.

0 Likes