cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

colesdav
MVP

Re: Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2 Auto Overclock GPU causes Black Screen, Audio Buzz, System Hang.

Adrenalin 2019 19.4.3 automatic overclock causes the same problem on the following system: 

System.

CPURyzen 2700X.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI. 
GPU 1: Palit RTX2080 OC running HDMI display.

GPU2: XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid running HDMI Display 
RAM: 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro running at 3200.  
Windows 10 64 bit. Checks clean.

Come on AMD, this is ridiculous. 
Your RX Vega 64 Liquid Auto Overclock button is killing PC Systems. 

It is a one click button of death. 
I am now trying to recover my Windows 10 OS as it boots into a black screen and no keyboard or mouse.  

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Re: Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2 Auto Overclock GPU causes Black Screen, Audio Buzz, System Hang.

Report Submitted ...
Auto Overclocking is failing on 2 different systems with various AMD drivers.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

I managed to recover from the black screen and no keyboard mouse by running disk and system checks on the broken OS drive from another machiine and enabling F8 to enter Windows 10 "safe mode with networking" option. That let me boot into Windows 10 with the "broken OS" using basic display adapter. I then downloaded and installed the latest version of DDU (18.0.1.1) on the "broken OS". I ran DDU and removed all AMD GPU Drivers from the system. I then rebooted into Windows 10 in normal mode. I am now reinstalling the AMD 19.4.3 driver again. It looks like the Automatic Overclocking button is setting something on the RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU driver data somewhere that is persistent. So if Auto Overclocking causes a black screen issue then that setting is maybe getting stored and reapplied at boot, resulting in black screen and no keyboard or mouse control or soft reset function. Obviously having to hard power down the PC just to swithc it off from this "dead/frozen" condition is not good and can cause additional OS corruptions.

0 Likes
marsouin
Journeyman III

Hey, Cole. Having a similar problem with my (used) msi Vega 56. Losing video output, KB+M (probably) not working (they still had power, I believe. Didn't think to check and not trying it again). Had to hard reset to get out of it. The first time it happened I thought it might be 'Screen Flicker'  and left it in that state for ~1 hr before resetting with no change. I also have an LED GPU tachometer on my video card that stayed at 1 LED/8 basically the whole time.

Learning from your experience, I'm just going to stay away from auto overclock from now on.

Running 19.5.2 drivers. I also have an old HD 7950 and its appropriate drivers installed. CPU is an i7-3930k.

colesdav
MVP

Hi, 

Is it an MSI Vega 56 Air Boost version? I was thinking of purchasing an MSI RX Vega 64 Air Boost because retailers seem to be trying to sell them at low prices. They are selling for ~ 260 now in some places. For that price I would buy some as compute cards. The blower puts me off though. 

I have not gone near the Auto Overclock "features" for about 5-6 months so I do not know if they work now or not.
I have been meaning to get new hard drive, install Windows 10 on it so there is no data I am afraid to loose. 
I could then click this "Auto Overclock GPU" button:

pastedImage_2.png

and accept the warning, which is not strong enough in my opinion:

pastedImage_3.png

I have XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid + PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 cards so I could test those on Intel and AMD processors.  

Auto Overclock is not supported on Fiji cards like R9 Fury. 

You should probably run Windows 10 Disk and System Checks to make sure the hard reset didn't mess up your Windows OS.

I see you say you are "Running 19.5.2 drivers"

Maybe you could try similar trial on a fresh test Windows 10 OS install on a spare hard drive using Adrenalin 19.9.2 and let everyone know what happens? 

If:
Pressing "Auto Overclock GPU" button shown above and clicking "Continue" does cause your PC to:
Crash / Hang / Freeze / Black Screen / corrupt the OS completely. 

Then:
At least you do not have to spend a long time trying to recover any lost / important data on your hard drive or attempt to recover a corrupted Windows OS. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

I just tested it in Adrenalin 19.2.2.

I performed a clean Adrenalin 19.9.2. driver install, enabled overclocking tin Wattman, and reset all wattman settings.

(1). For XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid.

=========================

(A).  Auto Undervolt GPU.
Runs, completes, undervolts nothing.

(B). Auto Overclock Memory.
Runs, completes, either does nothing at all or sometimes applies a memory frequency of 1050. I can run the GPU at 1120 in DX12 or 1150 in DX11 no problem.

(C) Auto GPU Overclock GPU.
Ran, I could se the State 7 GPU CLK increasing. Black Screened, then Blue Screened with a message Thread Stuck in Device Driver, followed by Windows reboot, automatic repair and black screen. I was unable to get any display output from the PC at all. I had to power down the PC, remove AMD GPUs, boot into Windows using an Nvidia GPU. I then reran Windows 10 disk and system checks. I then removed AMD drivers from the disk, powered down, refitted the AMD GPUs and then reinstalled 19.9.2. 

In conclusion, Auto Overclock GPU button on my XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid is a self destruct sequence.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

(2). For PowerColor RX Vega 56.

=========================

(A).  Auto Undervolt GPU.
Runs, completes, undervolts nothing.

(B). Auto Overclock Memory.
Runs, completes, does nothing at all,  I tried many times.

(C) Auto GPU Overclock GPU.
Ran, I could se the State 7 GPU CLK increasing to a ridiculous 1991 MHz. Black Screened with an error code on motherboard. Had to hard power down the PC. Windows rebooted o.k. but because of the Black Screen Crash I decided to stop there.

In conclusion, Auto Overclock GPU button on my XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid is causing a black screen fatal, pc freeze and motherboard error on the PowerColor RX Vega 56.

I will file another AMD Reporting form like last time for Adrenalin 18.12.2.

Clearly this feature is not a priority for AMD though.

0 Likes