Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vergilhilts
Journeyman III

Adrenalin 18.2.1 is version 16.3.2?

Hello everyone,

So I updated my drivers to ver. 18.2.1 and apparently it's being read as 16.3.2 in Radeon Settings?

Untitled.jpg

I've tried everything. Clean uninstall, clean express install, clean custom install, cleaning the registry - nothing works. While it isn't much of a problem on its own since it's still 18.2.1 being read as 16.3.2, I'd really like to see this fixed.

I also had a problem with the 18.3.1 Adrenalin Edition March 5 optional update. Radeon Settings simply won't open, as it displays an error message "Radeon settings version and driver version do not match". Quite ironic since this appears to be exactly the case with 18.2.1, except Radeon Settings does work on it, so I'm using 18.2.1 in the meantime.

What I'm really glad about recent driver versions is that the blue screen (atikmdag.sys error) / AMD Display Driver crash that would randomly occur whilst watching YouTube videos or other sites that use the same video player plugin now seems to be fixed. Still happens on older drivers above 16.3.2, though.

0 Likes
8 Replies

This thread is similar, in the respect, of the error you were getting that "Radeon settings version and driver version do not match" : Can't access Radeon setting for 18.2.3 & 18.3.1.

0 Likes

Still have the same problem even with the latest driver update (Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1 Optional). Seems that all drivers above 18.2.1 (which in my case is being read as 16.3.2 in AMD Settings) will display the error message "Radeon Settings version and driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to the latest version". I just did a completely clean uninstall twice using DDU, cleaned the registry, restarted twice and it still shows the same error message. Hence I can't use new drivers and am forced to switch back to 18.2.1 again. I need AMD Settings for many applications to force AA, Anisotropic Filtering and all that, as well as VSR and FreeSync.

0 Likes

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

0 Likes

I just did that and also did a complete driver uninstall using DDU in safe mode, then reinstalled the drivers, restarted and... same error message again.

0 Likes

This is the latest AMD Driver for the R9 3xx series GPU Card: Desktop .

Need to post your computer information as per AMD Forum rules : INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION .

Need MAKE & MODEL of Motherboard, CPU/APU and PSU.

See if this fix from Guru3D.com will work : Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match also on 18.4.1!! (Fixed) | guru3D Forums

Recent thread from AMD Forum concerning this error: Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to latest v...

Both of the above linked Threads mentions the same fix. A Registry change. Copied from the AMD Forum Thread from above link:

135. Re: Radeon settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to late...

ar77

So mine has finally worked,as someone suggested it was a registry error.
All you have to do is go to regedit.exe , then go to this key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD\CN] and you will find DriverVersion.

Now all you have to do is remove whatever the value data is inside and make it blank.Then open task manager and close all AMD related service and then turn on RadeonSettings.It will work like a charm

vergilhilts
Journeyman III

Thanks so much, ar77​! You're the only one who provided the right solution and saved me loads of time. It worked perfectly. Why bother posting motherboard, CPU and PSU models when they have NOTHING to do with the problem? 18.2.1 to 18.5.1 and AMD still hasn't resolved such a simple registry issue. Man, I even tried cleaning the registry of anything AMD-related before and it didn't work. Even clean uninstalls with DDU wouldn't rid of the broken registry value. Again, thanks for the solution!

0 Likes

Glad you were able to resolve your problem.

The reason why it is important to post your computer information, it is because other Users can see if you have outdated BIOS or drivers for your motherboard. Knowing the Windows or OS running is important because the latest AMD Drivers work with a fully updated WIndows. Many times a weak PSU causes problems with the GPU cards. Sometimes Users have very outdated Hardware that is not compatible with WIndows or the Driver they are trying to install.

Knowing what you have in your computer system is very important in helping other Users troubleshoot AMD Driver and hardware issues.

0 Likes

I've been using PCs for 19 years now. Trust me, I don't need to post my PC specs when I assembled it myself and am familiar with almost every issue. Everything is so automatic nowadays that having outdated drivers is a thing of the past, but I'd rather install everything manually regardless.

0 Likes