cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

laukd
Journeyman III

Adrenalin 18.12.2 won't start up.

As stated, the new drivers installs, but won't turn on at all. I open it through right click on the desktop and it shows in the task bar. After a minute or two the Radeon icon dissapears and process repeats. Any solutions ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Can confirm this worked for me. I will explain the steps I took.

1. Download Adrenalin 2019 edition from AMD site. Restart into safe mode

2. Uninstall AMD Drivers with DDU into Restart.

2. Express Install Adrenalin 2019 edition. Restart Now Option. Fully restart to desktop.

3. Restart again into safe mode this time.

4. DDU uninstall Intel Drivers into Restart.

5. Open setting app in updated version. Hopefully it works for you like it did for me.

View solution in original post

61 Replies
laukd
Journeyman III

I also forgot to state, i have rx560 gpu. oops :3

0 Likes

Hi, did you do an incremental install or full download of the driver from AMD site and then install or did you run DDU in safe mode, disconnected from the internet and then do a full install of the driver in normal mode?

I tried incremental clean install. It removed the driver but on reboot, nothing happened at all. No automatic Driver install.

I then tried full downloaded 18.12.2 driver from AMD site and then express install. That installed but ReLive is not working at all for me.
Such fun. I am running an RX Vega 64 Liquid.

0 Likes

Dave have you had that Vega long? I know you had some R series cards before. Is the Vega working better for you?

0 Likes

Hi,

I purchased the RX Vega 64 Liquid about 4weeks ago for 570, and I also purchased an RTX2080OC for 650 which included a free copy of BFV worth 60.
I was going to buy BFV anyhow.
So for me the cost delta was 20.
My advice is do not buy an RX Vega 64 Liquid.

Bye.

kaljaankka
Journeyman III

Im having the exact same issue. Uninstalled previous drivers using DDU in safemode. Install went just fine, no noticable hiccups. Rebooted right after installing.

It will only run in the background using resources. Period. Nothing will open to the taskbar. Can't open right-click menu in tray icon. Running with admin rights doesn't help.

Asus Z97-A

i5-4670K @stock

Asus DUAL RX 480 8GB @stock speed stock BIOS

16GB DDR3

EVGA Supernova 650W G2 80+ Gold PSU

Win10 Pro v10.0.17134

This is very sad considering such a major driver release. Also the fact that this

• Some systems running multiple displays may experience mouse lag when at least one display is enabled but powered off.

issue is STILL present after at least a year of drivers is making me consider the green camp even more for my next upgrade. As a user running three displays (2 on my desk, and a 4K TV in the living room) off the GPU, the graphics card feels near unusable.

What a botched release overall.

0 Likes

Hi,
RE: Uninstalled previous drivers using DDU in safemode.
Make sure you disconnected from the internet as well when you are in safe mode and when you reboot into normal mode to install the Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2 driver.
RE: issue is STILL present after at least a year of drivers is making me consider the green camp even more for my next upgrade
Just do it ... After a over a year of really unstable drivers since RX Vega 64 Launch and runnig on R9 FuryX and Nanos I bought a new RX Vega 64 Liquid.
Nothing but crashing for weeks on Adrenalin 18.12.1 and 18.12.1.1 drivers and still falling over with these new 18.12.2 drivers.
Bought an RTX2080 OC ~ 1 week ago. Has not crashed once. Drivers install fine. Installed on same PC as the RX Vega 64 Liquid.
I just swap between GPU's. The RTX2080OC was +20 more expensive but performs much better. Sad but true. Why put up with this any more?

Bye.

0 Likes

Looks like you are not on the latest build of Windows 10, the latest version is 17763. Please update and then let me know if you experience the same issue.

0 Likes

Mine did this too. Did uninstall then clean install of new driver. No Radeon Settings. So did DDU followed by clean install. Still no Radeon Settings. Then did express install over the same driver and that fixed it.

0 Likes

He say "Nothing will open to the taskbar. Can't open right-click menu in tray icon" that mean in tray has Radeon Setting Icon but can't open. He does not mean "no radeon setting" it has but can't open

Well you solution "did express install over the same driver and that fixed it" not working for me. Already try that before. His problem was same like me. Radeon Setting was install even running in background and tray menu but can't open it

Gotcha, regardless the obviously have issues with this drivers. Hope they get it sorted or people figure out how to work around the specific issue plaguing them.

0 Likes

Same for me, DDU, Clean install, Express install over it, and nothing. Settings closes immedeately.

Rx480

0 Likes

Same! Clean install , Express install , uninstall by AMD cleanup utility then download version 18.12.2 on AMD official website and none of those worked .

0 Likes
nepalii
Adept I

I'm having the same issue. Did full uninstall as I always do using DDU. Drivers are fully installed, WHQL signature is there and everything but Radeon Settings simply won't open. I have Sapphire R9 Fury, other people on AMD's subreddit with Fury X have reported the same issue. Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/a5tfil/adrenalin_2019_edition_18122/

Hoping a fix comes soon, Fury is unusable for me at stock settings.

Hi I have R9 FuryX, Nano, will see what happens if I try to run with those GPUs. I will try those next.
I have been running with an RX Vega 64 Liquid so far.
Have you tried killing radeon Settings in Task Manager and then restarting AMD Settings from Programs -> AMD -> AMD Settings?
That works for me sometimes if it won't launch from the system tray icon or the pinned symbol on the task bar.

0 Likes

I have done that. Actually, if I try to open Radeon Settings, it gets "stuck" on Task Manager and the usage on CPU and RAM gets really high and I'm forced to end task.

0 Likes

Please could you provide a DXDIAG report from your system and attach it to this post so i can investigate?

0 Likes

I have attached the DXdiag report. Initially, I thought this was just affecting Fiji GPUs but apparently there are users here with all kinds of GPUs being affected. Funny how the Beta drivers worked flawlessly and the WHQL one doesn't. I understand these things can happen.

Hopefully, a fix is released soon.

0 Likes

Maybe not because if you read all reply here, the card has been say here was Fury, 380, 480, 560, 580

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please could you provide a DXDIAG report from your system and attach it to this post so i can investigate?

Please can you let me know how you uninstalled the old driver and updated to the new driver?

0 Likes
yawi
Journeyman III

Same problem here, i have a Rx 580 4go.

Since I have reinstalled 18.11.2 and now works fine.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please can you let me know how you uninstalled the old driver and updated to the new driver?

0 Likes

I update the new driver ( 18.12.2 ) with Amd radeon settings

the old driver was (18.11)

The DXDIAG report :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-iFODXwQn7A3b8H677QZ_7G8j-9UUSsp

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks.

0 Likes
azraei97
Adept I

I also have same problem.

I download driver from AMD.com > Disconnect my network > Uninstall previous driver using option "default AMD Clean/Complete" uninstall > Restart My PC to save mode > Using DDU to complete uninstall > Back to normal windows mode after complete DDU > Install AMD 18.2.2 > Restart After Done > Reconnect my network.

Also already redownload the driver even reinstall also not working. Radeon Setting won't launch at all. It just running at background doing "unknown loading" for more than 10minutes even 30minutes has pass it just running "unknown loading".

Gigabyte H97M Gaming 3

i7-4790 @stock

Gigabyte R9 380 4GB G1 @ stock speed stock BIOS

16GB DDR3 1600MHz

Corsair Vs 550 80+ Bronze PSU

Win10 Pro v10.0.17763 Build 17763 x64 US

Doing to this problem, I'm install back my previous driver 18.12.1.1 that work fine

Typo. Doing change to Due.

Here my current Dxdiag report. This report of my current driver 18.12.1.1 because it work fine https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kqldnW3ZSE0TrZ_EKPOZJiWwkCWK2KHE

0 Likes
thăng
Journeyman III

OMG . I have same problem . Previous version worked just fine but version 18.12.2 is completely trash. My pc : I5-8400 + gigabyte  b360 aorus gaming 3 +  aorus Rx580 + 2x8 GB Ram buss 2800 + ssd nvme samsung pm 961 + hdd 1Tb

0 Likes
bodhsativa
Adept I

Same issue here. All new features are unuseable, so are the old ones for that matter....

Tried clean install with no success. Here's dxdiag...

0 Likes

Open support tickets on this issue guys. Don't count on just Matt. Send this stuff to the driver team yourself with an issue report or support request.

0 Likes
ablev
Journeyman III

I had the same problem, now i found a dirty solution for me.

I´ve installed 18.12.2 completly.

Then i started 18.12.1.1 user installation and choose radeon settings only.

That works.

Now i have 18.12.2 driver, can open radeon settings and have an icon in systray.

Not so good, but better then nothing.

Sorry for my bad english.

0 Likes

Does it work fine ? Is there any problem so far ?

0 Likes
sgh
Journeyman III

Open DDU and uninstall INTEL VIDEO DRIVERS to access amd settings. Just figured this out myself!

zlowmu
Journeyman III

Worked for me!Thanks!

Can confirm this worked for me. I will explain the steps I took.

1. Download Adrenalin 2019 edition from AMD site. Restart into safe mode

2. Uninstall AMD Drivers with DDU into Restart.

2. Express Install Adrenalin 2019 edition. Restart Now Option. Fully restart to desktop.

3. Restart again into safe mode this time.

4. DDU uninstall Intel Drivers into Restart.

5. Open setting app in updated version. Hopefully it works for you like it did for me.

This is the trick that did it for me. Don't know how you figured it, but you're the best mate.

Now to see whether the multimonitor issues will be addressed before my next upgrade

0 Likes

Just a little update... For most people, if you've installed latest AMD drivers (18.12.3 currently), you can just uninstall Intel drivers with DDU, no safe mode necessary, and everything will work on restart. That's it. No need for 5 steps. Try that first, then the complete solution.

0 Likes
jullen
Journeyman III

Exact same issue here. Did multiples clean installs with DDU in safe mode, express installs and what not. Just can't open settings with new 2019 driver. Icon apears in trey and disapears as soon as cursor comes over it. RX 590/ i7-7700K

0 Likes
tybhc
Adept I

Guys , I solved this problem!

Just try  this way:   Enter safe mode  with network disconnection, clean all GPU drivers with DDU, including previous version and driver for integrated graphics  . Reboot  then.  Enter safe mode without network connection again , install  Adrenalin 18.12.2.  Reboot again, you will  find the Radeon Setting is available!

It seems that Adrenalin 18.12.2 conflicts with Intel integraed graphics.   Cleanning the driver for  Intel integraed graphics can fix the issue.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please can you provide your system specs and a DXDIAG report for investigation?

0 Likes