Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Adrenalin 18.12.2 crashing in BF1

System Information:

CPU i7-4790K.
MB: Asus Z97 Deluxe.

GPU1: Palit RTX 2080 OC. Connected via HDMI.

GPU2: XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid. Connected via DisplayPort so I can use AMD FreeSync.

RAM 32GB DDR4.

Windows 10 64bit OS. Checks clean and recent install...

Description.

I was running BF1 at 4K Ultra, using ReLive to record the game.
I just did a clean DDU in safe mode/no internet connection install of Adrenalin 18.12.2 since incremental clean install update from 18.12.1 is hosed - if you do it that way, ReLive does not install properly or work and Radeon Overlay doesn't report FPS ...

I managed to grab the following screenshot showing the DirectX Error which states the AMD Graphics Driver crashed.

pastedImage_0.png

Just FYI I swap dispolays over and I run BF1 fine with the RTX2080 OC. It has not crashed once.
Bye.

1 Solution

OK ...

Debugged.
For some reason the new Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2 Driver is now unstable on BF1 with a 50mv undervolt on the top power state of GPU Clk.
It might be something to do with the temp targets (they have been reduced and fixed) or the fan profile although I set the fan to max anyhow.
Reducing the top power state undervolt to 25mv seems to prevent the crashing in BF1 ...

I tested it for hours now so it seems stable.
I will mark this answer as correct.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

And again ...

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

OK ...

Debugged.
For some reason the new Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2 Driver is now unstable on BF1 with a 50mv undervolt on the top power state of GPU Clk.
It might be something to do with the temp targets (they have been reduced and fixed) or the fan profile although I set the fan to max anyhow.
Reducing the top power state undervolt to 25mv seems to prevent the crashing in BF1 ...

I tested it for hours now so it seems stable.
I will mark this answer as correct.

I'm experiencing the same issue. How do I set voltage control to 25?

0 Likes

Assuming you have an RXVega 64 Liquid - Here is the setting with undervolt of 25mv on the GPU Power State 7: pastedImage_0.png

It is normally 1250 - so an undervolt of 25mv is 1225.
Previously with Adrenalin 18.12.1 and with BF1 at the time it ran o.k. with undervolt of 50mv i.e. 1200.
Hope that explains it & helps you.
Note before overclocking or undervolting anything you should try to run with default Balanced mode, then Turbo mode and see if they work at all without crashing.
Undervolting will be different on each Vega 64 GPU and some will me stable with larger undervolt than others.
I do not recommed running automatic undervolt, overclock or memory overclock.
Automatic Undervolt simply resets my GPU Voltages to default for the mode I am in anyhow.
Automatic Overclocking is a guaranteed Black Screen and system hang for me. It is not stable or working. Not surprising to me at all since manual overclocing the RX Vega 64 Liquid is barely worth it. The GPU is already running close to the edge of stability and 0.5% GPU OC was all that showed any benefit for me in extensive testing using 3DMark benchmarks.
Automaticv memory overclocking does seem to do something. It sets my max memory frequency to 1080. However I can run stable at 1100 with a 25mv undervolt on the memory voltage.
I think this automatic undervolt/overclock and memory overclocking is possibly done to reinforce the myth that 'RX Vega 64 runs significantly better with undervolting/overclocking/tweaking'. It doesn't based on what I have seen. Improvements are marginal testing my own XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid and looking at tweaking other AIB GPUs.
If RX Vega 64 AIB or Reference or Special Edition or Liquid GPUs are crashing with existing drivers, undervolting isn't going to help with stability as far as I see it.

Bye.

I've got both a 580 and 590 with the latter being the primary and BF1 was also crashing with default settings. I'm going to try and set the voltage settings to what's in the picture. If it doesn't work, I'll just reset the the defaults and wait for the next update.

0 Likes

Yeah, didn't work. Waiting for the next update.

0 Likes

Undervolt doesn't fix Polaris ie RX480, 580, 590 etc.... Those you need to set the power limit to it's maximum, often +50 and may additional find fan/temp curve that limits the temps and stops throttling.

My 12.2.2 RX 580 settings:

I have the min acoustic setting at default show above was a temporary testing mistake.

Okay, thanks.

0 Likes