cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gambit2k
Adept II

Adrenalin 17.12.1 Compute Profile option not available with RX Vega?

Hi

I just installed Adrenaline Edition and was hoping on trying to see what the mining performance would be with the new compute profile option. But I can seem to find it where it should be in the release screenshot? Ihave to RX Vega64 and I've disabled crossfire. What am I doing wrong? Or is that on available for RX 4XX and 5XX and doesn't have to be enabled on RX vega?

CCompute Profile.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mattyd7829
Elite

Re: Adrenalin 17.12.1 Compute Profile option not available with RX Vega?

It seems that no one has an answer for you. I also have a vega 64 and get no compute option so you could be correct. Is there anybody who can shed some light on this for us please?

mattyd7829
Elite

According to a post in this linked thread, Vega is already optimsed and needs no compute option.

https://community.amd.com/message/2837889#comment-2837889

entity279
Adept II

Anandtech reported AMD saying that the Compute profile is for Etherium mining ( Adrenalin Enhancements (2): New Toggles, Linux & More - AMD Releases Radeon Software Adrenalin Editi...  )

Apparently, for Vega some autodection happens. I can confirm in Adrenalin drivers the switch is visible for Rx 580 cards and it is missing for Vega. Further, I can confirm that Vega can achieve full mining performance on Adrenalin drivers (so it works as if a Compute mode were enabled).

However, the problem is that not only Ethereum mining is impacted by the Compute mode. Monero (CryptoNight algorithm) mining falls in the same category (and Vega is crazy good at that). Unfortunatelly, Adrenalin drivers (and its predecesors) loose ~40% performance in this algorithm compared to the Blockchain Drivers.

So the compute switch (or better auto-detection) is actually needed for Vega cards as welll

gambit2k
Adept II

Yeah I am seeing the same thing. I'm getting around 1800 - 2000 H/s when mining XMT (Monero) per card (2xVega64) with the block chain driver, and with Adrenaline I am getting ~1300 per card with the same settings. And the power draw for Adrenaline is around 150-200w lower, so something is not being used fully with the adrenaline driver compared to the blockchain. I do see a boost when mining ethereum with adrenaline do.

Another thing is that one my 2 RX570 cards, the adrenalin driver refused to turn on the compute option. I chose it, radeon settings needs to restart but when it pops up again it's still set to graphics. So I can't bother with Adrenalin for the moment, the blockchain is a safer bet right now as I am getting 600-650 H/s per RX570.

madmanmarz
Adept I

exactly my findings as well. it sucks that i have to reinstall drivers every time i wanna go from mining to gaming. if you guys could add the switch for vega that would be amazing.

mirarilegend
Journeyman III

The same here with Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB Special Edition using 17.12.2, together with Windows 7 64 Bit Professional...

NO compute/graphics workload switch option... 😞

@madmanmarz: do you know why not only Vega obviously is not supported with this switch?

jonbros
Adept I

AMD forum staff said its already enable for VEGA.  But its not, for me and all miners if seen so far they all confirm that Blockchain driver is 80% faster then 17.12.2...   so AMD need to do some homework and fix compute mode on Vega, especially for cryptonight algo