cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

karmakas
Journeyman III

Accessing AMD Settings

I just got a new graphics card, R5230-SL-2GD3-L, and attempting to install the drivers either doesn't work or causes a BSOD. Seems like a difficult problem to solve, so here's a simpler one.

How do I open up the sofware for graphics settings without having the appropriate driver? It keeps giving me an error that I need the right one.

I let Windows install the driver on its own, and it succeeded (AMD Radeon HD 7400 Series driver), and my display is working perfectly fine. But the screen is blurry. Before this graphics card, I used HD7750 1GBD5-DH, and whenever I reinstalled the display driver, the screen would get blurry in the exact same way. I was always able to fix this, either by changing the aspect ratio on my remote, or fixing scaling or overscan using software (Hydravision, Catalyst Control Center, AMD Radeon Settings). The first method failed, so now I'm just trying to use AMD's software to fix it. But it refuses to start because of a functioning driver. I'm using a TV as a monitor via a HDMI port.

Accessing display settings should be simple, why is it such a problem?

0 Likes
8 Replies

This is a Legacy graphics card...no more support. What driver did you install? What OS? INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION 

AMD Radeon™ R5 230 Drivers & Support | AMD 

https://community.amd.com/thread/180667 

0 Likes
karmakas
Journeyman III

My OS is Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1, 64-bit. I was installing the "drivers" from the exact page that's been posted, specifically for my card. I tried both "Catalyst Software Suite" and "Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta". I am able to install the driver, and it works, but the Application is not getting installed. The AMD Settings application from the question title. Where do I find it? It's  not in the installed programs list, and on my C drive I only see setups for some reason, and not the exe for the application. Is there a way to install it separately from the driver?

This is what I'm looking for, the "Radeon Settings Advisor" AMD Radeon™ Advisors | AMD How do I download that? It only takes me to the same page where I choose my graphics card, and gives me the "driver", which just doesn't provide the application with it.

0 Likes

Oh and, I did the clean install. Both with the method provided and some other methods. I got another new graphics card of the same model, and it's the exact same case. So it's some kind of problem with the software.

0 Likes

That feature is available on newer graphics/drivers. Not available on laptops or Legacy graphics cards.

0 Likes

All right, but not even the old version of the application is appearing after install (installed via the DVD that came with the card). The application from the site works when using an older graphics card than that, my previous one (HD7750 1GBD5-DH).

0 Likes

It's  not in the installed programs list, and on my C drive I only see setups for some reason, and not the exe for the application. Is there a way to install it separately from the driver?
The exe file is in the setup.

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

https://community.amd.com/thread/180667 

0 Likes

Nothing you can do to get the feature(s) you are inquiring about. They are not available.

Radeon WattMan Overview

Radeon WattMan, which was first introduced in Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.6.2. It provides performance tuning and monitoring of GPU behaviour, enabling the ability to fine tune your gaming experience for different applications.

This document walks you through each step of tuning your GPU using Radeon WattMan.  It is important to note that GPU tuning requires an advanced level of technical knowledge.  For most users, the default hardware settings for the GPU and graphics memory provides the best performance for most applications.

Radeon WattMan Requirements

Radeon WattMan is supported on AMD Radeon R7 260 Graphics Series products and higher. It is recommended to always use the latest compatible driver for your GPU when configuring Radeon Wattman on a Windows® based system.

0 Likes

Windows is up to date. OK then, if there are no graphics settings available whatsoever for AMD cards. Thank you.

0 Likes