Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

calebseal
Adept I

A8-7600 with Radeon R7 Series - Black Screen on Boot

Quick Note to Readers

If you find any useless or redundant information, please tell me to get rid of it - I want things to be as short and simple as can be.

Beginning of Post

I use my computer to perform a series of tasks on a daily basis. One task is to log into a game (Darwin Project) and complete a daily task. Upon entering a lobby in-game, all was fine; but once the match started, all pixels go monocolor and sound jitters, stuck on one soundbite - I shut down the computer via power button. I have gone without full access to PC for a week, but luckily I've been able to use family members' computers; however, that is situational and could end on a whim.

{NEW INFO!!} Details (Please Request More Information If Needed)

• With normal boot: my computer displays Lenovo logo, then Windows logo w/ loading dots, then infinite black screen.
  • I am able to use Safe Boot, and Safe Boot with Networking.
  • I ran the AMD Cleanup Utility, and was able to boot normally as a result; however, "Display Adapters" in Device Manager shows default Windows driver, which is expected, what with using Cleanup Utility.
  • Post-Cleanup, all pixels are over-saturated and CPU skyrockets when running most programs, resulting in low FPS.
  • Downloaded Windows 10 64-bit (Matches OS) Adrenalin 2020 Edition - 20.2.2, Installed It
    • See bullet #1 for result.
  • Went here (https://www.amd.com/en/support ), clicked "Download Now" under "Auto-Detect and Install..."
    • Downloaded same file from bullet #5, with exception of "minimalsetup" replacing "edition" in the download's name.
    • Installed it anyway, guess what happened.
  • My PC is a Lenovo Erazer, and my monitor has Samsung written on it, so I'm under the assumption that they were not purchased together (remember, this computer was given to me, so I wouldn't know).

Task Manager Specs (Please Ask For More Information If Needed, Poor Navigational Skills - Where do I Look?)

In Task Manager, there are three tabs shown (compared to five, I believe, before issue started).

• CPU Tab: AMD A8-7600 with Radeon R7 Series, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
  • Memory Tab: 12.0gb (~10.5gb Usable)DDR3
  • Wi-Fi Tab: (Didn't think this was necessary, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Windows Specs (From Settings > System > About)

• Edition: Windows 10 Home
  • Version: 1909
  • Installed On: December 1, 2019
  • OS Build: 18363.720

{NEW INFO!!} From System Information (msinfo32)

• BaseBoard Manufacturer: LENOVO
  • BaseBoard Product: Bantry CRB
  • BaseBoard Version: 31900058 STD

{NEW INFO!!} From Command Prompt (After SFC /scannow)

• Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.
  • Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 100% complete.
  • Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Excess Information That Might Be Relevant, IDK

• Factory-Installed OS: Windows 8.1
  • Copyright Lenovo 2014 (Age of Machine, I'm Guessing)
  • HDD, but no SSD
  • Previously owned by friend who may have made modifications I am unaware of; however, PC has been in my possession for several months (~5).

I am not sure if I'll be able to add to this after posting or if I'm limited to adding new info through comments, but please, please, please ask for more information if you need it, and remember to provide directions, because I suck at finding stuff.

7 Replies
calebseal
Adept I

@elstaci Please ignore this one. I sent a new reply with a different idea. I mean, you can read it if you want, and maybe I had the right idea here, but otherwise, you can just ignore it.

I'm starting to think we should continue this in a new reply to the original post, as the spacing for our conversation is thinning and could become hard to read soon - your call, really. I'm not sure about a separate GPU - where can I check for that?

Gonna try to break this down one more time because I am 100% confused, as always. Bet you'll have an entertaining story to tell your friends.

-----

From my understanding, this is one option I can try.

I go to this link. I click on "Display and Video Graphics". There are five options here, and I have no idea which one to choose.

I need to know which one of the five options to choose. Once I download the correct option, however, I just hold onto it for a few moments while I download, install, and run DDU while disconnected from the Internet.

After running DDU, I run the correct option I downloaded from "Display and Video Graphics", which will... install the AMD driver again. Yes?

Try to boot in Normal Mode. If this does not work, try something else.

-----

Did I get this right?

0 Likes

You can delete any replies you make in a thread. Just go to the lower left corner where it says "ACTIONS" and click on that. You will have two options, EDIT or DELETE.

Is this a all-in-one desktop PC? What is the exact model of the PC?

0 Likes

By "all-in-one", I assume you mean the entire setup was purchased together. I wouldn't know, however I would be leaning towards "no", as the computer is a Lenovo Erazer X315, and the monitor is from Samsung - if it helps anyone, there's a series of numbers and letters on the frame of the monitor (serial number?): "S24C350L".

0 Likes

I know, but I left it there for the sake of you and anyone else that might want to read it. I gave everything in it strikethrough to indicate that it wasn't important, but I want to leave it there anyway.

0 Likes
eliandre
Adept I

Guys, I have tried to keep up with this conversation. I am sorry to see somebody else has this problem, but at the same time relieved that I am not the only one trying to find a solution to this.

Very short description of what I know and the issue that I have.

Clean install of Windows 10, Latest updates and latest BIOS versions on my GPU and MDB.

Every time I try to install the driver for the GPU (Sapphire RX 5600 XT), PC restarts and never boots into normal mode again. I have tried this installation maybe 20 times each time changing something (driver version, windows version, bios version, monitors, cables, PCI-e slots, and so on...) 

I am able to boot in Safe Mode and there I can see the Driver of the GPU installed in the Device Manager. If I disable it or uninstall it there, Windows boots normally again.

I have also two Support ticket opened (AMD one and one to Sapphire) but it takes for ever for them to answer.

PS, the GPU worked for one week without any problems.

Regards,

George

0 Likes

Decided to delete all my replies concerning troubleshooting your Processor R7 Integrated Graphics since I found out your computer has a separate R9 GPU card which is causing your Black Screens.

I believe it is best for someone else to help you since your lack of computer knowledge makes it difficult to troubleshoot your computer.

Good luck and Take care!

0 Likes