cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

digitalpeer
Adept I

7900XTX Stopcode watch dog blue screen after hang.

hello.

I have a 7900xtx powercolor red devil. I updated to 23.2.2 and my system started randomly hanging quite severely. -

5800x 32g ddr4 3600 1100 watt psu Win 11 overkill on all cooling

I first checked all my hardware before my graphics card, the situation got worse, and eventually it would hang as windows loaded the sign in screen. 

I installed an old 5700xt and the pc ran fine. 

Go back and reinstall my 7900xtx and it would fire up, run for a while then hang again, and then i couldnt get back into windows without going back to the 5700xt first.

I tried a few experiements with other power supplies, diferent ram, less ram, removed a USB C add in card, i tried the 7900xtx on silent mode, uninstalled all software except the basics etc etc, eventually i rolled back the drivers to an older set (dec) and i can operate in windows 11 again... i saw a post online saying AMD have added a check box to not reset factory and not selecting that option should provide some better results. this is not the case as im back into the bad cycle. 

Anyone else experiencing these issues or am i alone here?

0 Likes
1 Solution
stan
Elite

Please reference this post:

[DPC_Watchdog_Violation][amdkmdag.sys][RX 7900 XTX/XT] Discussion Thread

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/dpc-watchdog-violation-amdkmdag-sys-rx-7900-xtx-xt-dis...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

If you have a way to send an image of the code that would be awesome. I am not currently on the 7900XTX yet, however I do recommend running DDU and uninstalling all traces of the drivers, then reinstalling if your system can get that done before it starts to hang again. 

I have seen situations where the old drivers files caused severe issues when running the auto update tool in Adrenalin as well as when people install without using DDU. This is something that frustrates me because AMD Cleanup Utility has never worked to resolve driver issues for myself. 

I DDU for every driver update now.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

i believe some of the chatter online is suggesting the clean install is causing more issues than its solving with 23.2.2. However in saying that i have used DDU through safemode to clean and also not used DDU to upgrade from the 5700xt drivers, both result in the same behaviour.  I have spent a week on this every day trying to avoid every combination of possible failure points.

When it does fail, the mouse stutters like the CPU is maxed, however it shows no heavy activity. The hotspot temp of the card and the cpu temp are all good.

It does take some time, over a minute, for the hang to result in the Stop code Watch dog bluescreen.

I am now on Decembers drivers and behaviour has returned to normal.

The card performs within spec for 7900xtx's and shows no signs of any issues outside the driver upgrade.

0 Likes
stan
Elite

Please reference this post:

[DPC_Watchdog_Violation][amdkmdag.sys][RX 7900 XTX/XT] Discussion Thread

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/dpc-watchdog-violation-amdkmdag-sys-rx-7900-xtx-xt-dis...

0 Likes

Thanks mate that exactly whats going on. Thank you!

0 Likes