cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Chrisseiden
Adept I

7900XT Shutting Down PC

I seem to be having a critical error on the 7900XT graphics card.

Issue

PC boots just fine. Can complete normal internet browsing and tasks. Boot up Fortnite or Warzone 2/Modern Warfare 2 (2022), begin a match and within 5 minutes my PC hard crashes and completely shuts down, no reboot. Must flip PSU switch to be able to power PC back on. Took me several hours of troubleshooting software before I tried my old 5700XT which did not see any crashes over several matches using the same hardware, while obviously pumping out less FPS.

I did also attempt a one hour GPU stress test on the 7900XT using OCCT, which resulted in no issues whatsoever. 

Since finding out this was an issue, I haven't attempted further troubleshooting as I am assuming this is a graphic driver issue. I can only think of two other solutions which I will likely attempt in the near future; first, my PSU came with a PCI-E cable which is two 8-pin split on one cable going in to the PSU. I did read on another post that someone solved similar GPU issues by switching to two individual 8-pin PCI-E cables. Second, I haven't adjusted any Adrenaline or in game graphics settings and they are all at default stock setting. But I'd rather not tinker with that knowing the card is so new.

My main concern now:

I have a 30 day return policy through Newegg. It is certainly a possibility that this is a one-off faulty card issue of course. I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and return the card and see if I can get another, or wait to see if basic troubleshooting and driver updates solve the issue. 

System

Gigabyte 7900XT

Ryzen 9 7900x

Aorus X670 Elite

Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb DDR5 5600

HX1000i 1000w platinum PSU

Corsair H150i Elite 360mm AIO

1 Solution
ed6698
Adept II

Sounds like you are powering the graphics card with a two 8 pin split connector, I would try using 2 individual connectors off the power supply. 

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero - Ryzen 5950X - Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black - 32Gb GSkill DDR4 3800 - Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC V2 - Samsung 980 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, Corsair Force GT - Super Flower 1000W Leadex SE Platinum

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Chrisseiden
Adept I

I seem to be having a critical error on the 7900XT graphics card.

Issue

PC boots just fine. Can complete normal internet browsing and tasks. Boot up Fortnite or Warzone 2/Modern Warfare 2 (2022), begin a match and within 5 minutes my PC hard crashes and completely shuts down, no reboot. Must flip PSU switch to be able to power PC back on. Took me several hours of troubleshooting software before I tried my old 5700XT which did not see any crashes over several matches using the same hardware, while obviously pumping out less FPS.

I did also attempt a one hour GPU stress test on the 7900XT using OCCT, which resulted in no issues whatsoever. 

Since finding out this was an issue, I haven't attempted further troubleshooting as I am assuming this is a graphic driver issue. I can only think of two other solutions which I will likely attempt in the near future; first, my PSU came with a PCI-E cable which is two 8-pin split on one cable going in to the PSU. I did read on another post that someone solved similar GPU issues by switching to two individual 8-pin PCI-E cables. Second, I haven't adjusted any Adrenaline or in game graphics settings and they are all at default stock setting. But I'd rather not tinker with that knowing the card is so new.

My main concern now:

I have a 30 day return policy through Newegg. It is certainly a possibility that this is a one-off faulty card issue of course. I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and return the card and see if I can get another, or wait to see if basic troubleshooting and driver updates solve the issue. 

System

Gigabyte 7900XT

Ryzen 9 7900x

Aorus X670 Elite

Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb DDR5 5600

HX1000i 1000w platinum PSU

Corsair H150i Elite 360mm AIO

0 Likes

Multiple posts are against forum rules

0 Likes

Sorry, didn't intend on breaking any rules. Wasn't sure which category suited this best.

0 Likes
ed6698
Adept II

Sounds like you are powering the graphics card with a two 8 pin split connector, I would try using 2 individual connectors off the power supply. 

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero - Ryzen 5950X - Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black - 32Gb GSkill DDR4 3800 - Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC V2 - Samsung 980 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, Corsair Force GT - Super Flower 1000W Leadex SE Platinum

Is there a specific name for that cable?

Ordered, arriving 1/10!

0 Likes

You shouldn't have to of ordered anything. I would think the HX1000i  PSU would have all the cabling needed to test if 2 separate 8 pin connectors from PSU would allow your graphics card to operate properly, just don't plug in secondary 8 pin off each cable.

Will try included split cables later tonight after work

You are correct, did come with two 8 pin split connectors but I was initially worried that leaving the splitters hanging would give the PSU issues. Now that I got the cables rather cheap I will probably keep them just for aesthetic.

I just signed up to tell that I had the very same PSU with the same 7900 XT with the same issue. PC shuts, cannot reboot until PSU is switched off and on. 

Seems that separate 8+8 pin cables solved it. 

Glad you got it working correctly. The PSU I have come with some of those pigtails 8 pin connectors, but it also came with single 8 pin connectors without the pigtails. That is one of the reasons I got the PSU that I did, saw some PSUs that only came with pigtail 8 pin connector. 

Lol, looks funny that I am replying to myself from someone marking my previous post as the solution.

0 Likes
Haaky
Adept II

Guys, Never, i repeat Never use a spliter on the 8 pin GPU cables.

With the power these new cards want to draw, always use 2 seperate  or 3 se[erate 8 pin GPU cables.

Otherwise you just asking for trouble

yeah things like that should be pinned on forum , cause it happen to be the problem so often

0 Likes
SloppyToppy
Journeyman III

What if I already tried using two separate cables, and every other possible option I can find online, and I still have this issue? Any other random suggestions from anyone in this thread?

0 Likes
vydenis
Journeyman III

While you shouldnt split your cable, its very optimistic to think this is the solution to this problem.

I am also crashing with my 6800xt in games with black screens, and have to hard reset the pc.

I used to think it was battlefield 2042 only problem but yesterday I crashed in modern warfare2.

0 Likes