cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rikersix
Adept I

7900 XTX crashes when getting to the main menu of Quake "remaster"

Quake "remaster" crashes once I get past all of the intro videos. After about 1 second of the background/demo running, the game crashes to desktop and the AMD bug tool comes up having detected a crash.

The game also has the follow error:

rikersix_0-1672610010010.png

If I launch quake (original), not the remaster/whatever it is called, it runs without crashing.

I have the latest 22.12.2 drivers installed.

14 Replies

I have the exact same problem on the ASUS TUF OC 7900 XTX.

I was looking forward to playing this game with my new AMD card :’( 

Please fix this…

have you tried changing to d3d11 or opengl in the config file? I get stuck at the connecting the bethesda.net servers box too and im on the xbox app, steam version plays fine and its the same game.

I have tried d3d11. This boots and works but I have weird graphical glitches and it is no fun to play

So far this has been a huge bummer - didn't expect good old Quake to crash...

0 Likes

Can somebody try with the new drivers realeased today (23.1.1)?

I currently don’t have access to my pc  for a couple of days

0 Likes

still no luck on 23.1.1 unfortunately, I am currently in an open ticket with bethesda support and sent them screenshots of the crash report, hopefully they can fix this issue its been going on for awhile.Screenshot 2023-01-12 112715.pngScreenshot 2023-01-12 111452.png 

Jacksondale
Adept I

Having this issue too. I’ve reinstalled the drivers several times but that doesn’t solve the issue. Additionally I forced d3d11 but I’ve been encountering the the graphical glitches mentioned above.

I submitted a crash report for this as well…hoping this gets fixed soon either through a Quake or driver update.

Jacksondale
Adept I

Just a heads up, I found a quick Band-Aid fix if you're playing through Steam. Someone in the Steam forums suggested using the following launch options in order to get better performance/prevent glitches/play with a retro look:

+g_showintromovie 0 +r_resolutionscale 1 +r_resolutionscale_fixedscale .25

Sure enough these settings work, but the .25 scaling makes it look pretty pixelated. I increased it by increments of 5 to see how far I could get before it crashed. I am able to run it pretty well @ .85 with barely any noticeable quality degradation. You might be able to increase it more but this was my sweet spot in order to get it to run:

+g_showintromovie 0 +r_resolutionscale 1 +r_resolutionscale_fixedscale .85

Still waiting on an actual fix though. This situation is unfortunate considering I played and beat the remaster on my 6800xt early last year and now can't play it on my new XTX lol.

So after playing around a bit more, I still encountered some crashes with the above settings, so ignore those instructions (unless of course it works for you). 

But I was really itching to play so here is what finally worked for me lol.

-skipmovies +r_rhirenderfamily d3d11

You will probably notice some graphical glitches since this remaster was built with Vulkan and not dx11 in mind. To get rid of these, I made sure VSYNC was turned off, the frame rate was capped (in my case at 144), and the window was set to Borderless. With these settings, I was able to play through the first level without issue and without any loss in resolution. 

Again, not really ideal and I'm still waiting for a proper fix, but I thought I'd share in case this helps anyone. 

Anybody any luck with 23.1.2. drivers that released today?

0 Likes
AMD718
Adept II

Exact same issue. XFX 7900 XTX Merc 310, 23.3.1, instant crash trying to load Quake remaster. vkQuake vulkan open source port works perfect. Clearly a pretty bad driver bug.

0 Likes

Has this been fixed in the meantime?

AMD718
Adept II

This appears to be fixed now. I'm running 23.7.1 on a 7900 XTX.

So you are running Quark remastered on the 7900XTX without issues? Just making sure

0 Likes
AMD718
Adept II

Yes, I am Quake Remaster fine on 7900 XTX

0 Likes