cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bort
Adept I

7900 XT Frequent Driver Crashes

Since I first got the 7900 XT I've been having to constantly fix something to stabilise my performance and having it run as expected. The FPS still isn't close to what I would like but I'm hoping in newer drivers this will improve. Anyway, recently I updated the drivers to 23.1.1 and since then I've been having increasingly more frequent driver crashes and in event viewer it shows "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered" and in Adrenaline it says something about WattMan resetting back to defaults (I have no overclocks). 

I have recently played World of Warcraft Retail increasingly more the past couple weeks so I'm not sure if the drivers currently have some sort of conflict with the game or its a driver issue overall, or maybe even just a general GPU issue. Does anybody have any possible solutions to this problem? Is it an RMA situation? I've just done a minimal driver factory install to see if the drivers were bugged and the Adrenaline software caused these issues.

19 Replies
monfruie
Adept I

I also have the same issue. Once a day the driver crashes. It only happened in World of Warcraft so far. No overclock. Currently running on 23.2.1 and one crash already happened today.

I also use the GPU for main sound, that recovers slower after the crash.

Windows 11Pro 22H2

Glad to see it's not just me experiencing this. I've recently been in contact with XFX to try and solve the issue.

That being said though, I reset my Windows (Keep personal files and apps) as a last ditch effort and this may have potentially fixed the driver issue i was experiencing, as like you i couldn't go a day without them crashing and since i reset (Saturday) I'm still yet to experience the drivers to crash, so even though it hasn't exactly been long enough to be confident it's fixed the issue, it's big progress and looks promising. And i did see people recommend reinstalling Windows, i was just a bit hesitant due to having to reinstall games etc. (which didn't turn out to be a big deal in the end, Windows 11 kept some large games installed for me for some reason which was nice lol) 

I'll keep you updated

YES its happened in World of Warcraft. is your BIOS up to date?

Yeah, i installed the latest BIOS a few days ago. Seems to be a game related type issue at least, so that's good to hear

0 Likes
monfruie
Adept I

Thanks for the responses. 

Due to other issues (Windows lags on desktop with even the mouse lagging) I decided to give Windows reinstall a try also. If I was at it already, I also updated my BIOS which I really tried to avoid due to the massive typing required for the DRAM timings to be reinstalled. It was 2 years old - Asus TUF Gaming x570 PLUS on BIOS 4021, updated to 4408.

I haven't tried World of Warcraft yet, but I will also update here if anything will have changed.

Thanks again!

0 Likes

The driver just crashed in World of Warcraft, so reinstall and BIOS update did not help.

0 Likes

I had similar issue with mouse lagging. Happens right after i quit my game.

The outcome was either a BSOD (auto reboot), or things back to normal after couple of mintues. Disable freesynce did not help.

This is prevelant since driver set 23.1.2, so even 23.2.1 has this too.

0 Likes

The resintall of Windows did resolve the mouse and desktop lagging problems. I tend to belive that it is rather Windows update related and not driver issue.

0 Likes

I am not getting any more crashes recently. The last thing I did was to change the audio from GPU to an another sound device. Not sure if that helped.

0 Likes

I also have issues with driver stability on this series (7900XTX). Particularly in Hogwarts Legacy were I get driver timeouts after screen freezes on a regular basis. Driver often crashes when turning off my second monitor as well for some reason. Once it even crashed so bad it got corrupted and had to be uninstalled and reinstalled (23.1.1).

23.2.1 doesn't solve any of the stability issues in Hogwarts Legacy and it breaks Freesync so I can't even use that version. By now the Freesync issue is well known though.

0 Likes

crashes happen on no freesync/gsync monitors with 7900 XT; on same systems cards don't crash in the affected games. 

0 Likes
uncyler825
Adept III

For RX 7900 Series - AMD FreeSync issues is confirmed. If you have BOD issues. Disable FreeSync

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/for-rx-7900-series-amd-freesync-issues-is-confirmed-if-you-have-bo...

Maybe it can solve your problem.

0 Likes
fruit
Journeyman III

Hi Bort, I was wondering if there is any change in your card's condition. I got a new 7900xt recently and stability has been good. But for some bizarre reason it exhibits the same issue you described in one particular game (Atomic heart, in the neptune museum exhibit room where you need to fetch the lady robot's head), and only in one particular room on one of the levels. I have tried reinstalling drivers and reducing the game settings to bottom low to see if its some sort of a load issue, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Its always that room. To make it more perplexing, the 30 hours or so of all of the other environments the game takes place (which seem to me would be much more challenging to render) works flawlessly. its just that one room. I normally would put that on the game, but unreal engine bug report suggests a "low level error", and it also gets the same error in event viewer as you "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered". Any insight you may have gotten since would be appreciated. If you have this exact game, would be interesting to know if you have encountered the same issue. Cheers!

0 Likes

I've had 1 crash since my post so it seems resetting windows 11 has lessened the issue by a large amount for me it seems. I played through Atomic Heart and completed it in it's first week of release and experienced 0 performance issues, so i'm not sure. Unless they've updated the game recently which has caused this problem for you then I have no idea, sorry.

0 Likes
fruit
Journeyman III

Hey bort, thanks anyway. I sort of got around that particular issue. It seems to me that there is just something suspicious about that room specifically. I may never know, but I found a way to stop the error from being thrown which buys me enough time to run through the room and move on ;D. Since then, the game has been continuing to run fine. 

0 Likes
loki1944
Adept II

Same issue here; AMD driver is a broken mess; getting issues and crashes in multiple games with the 7900 XT; card itself is fine; never artifacts...it is very obvious it's FUBAR drivers by AMD; repeatable on multiple PCs W10 pro. The most pernicious example I have is the insta-black screen and crash error when I try to run project cars. Reinstalling the game completely had no effect. For Shadow of Chernobyl; cannot remove FPS cap with AMD drivers; even doing so in the AMD driver settings has no effect. Nasty stuttering in some games as well. Meanwhile 3080Ti/1080Ti/2080Ti in the same systems have 0 such issues. It is 100% AMD crap drivers. 

0 Likes

Hey Loki, just curious. With any of those games you had issues with. Have you had an issue where the error would get thrown in a particular place or when performing a specific task in a repeatable manner? Or is it more of a completely random thing for you?

0 Likes

The worst offender so far; 2015's Project Cars, crashes with a black screen and ambiguous error message right after attempting to load a race (i.e. the 3d engine), radeon driver forced AF does not work at all in games (Operation Flashpoint, TES IV: Oblivion. AMD driver has far more stuttering issues overall than even my 1080Ti has in some games. Vsync will not disable in STALKER SOC.

None of these issues can be replicated on my Nvidia cards. The GPU itself is fine and runs great in SOME demanding games; this has to be a driver issue.

My overall guess here is not much effort was put into driver optimization for those games.

The issues are recurring and replicable with both my i7 10700KF and my i9 10920X, even with minimal system load.

Hey I sort of "fixed" my issue. I basically stopped the error from being thrown which bought be enough time to get through the offending area in Atomic Heart that caused the crash (it still happens eventually it seems, if I stick around). 

I don't know if it will be particularly helpful to you but I thought id pass it on anyway if you wanted to try it. might get better mileage in project cars (haha). It basically requires a registry edit. 

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control, then click the GraphicsDrivers folder and select New>Dword(32 bits), then name it "TdrLevel" and set it to 0 then restart your system. Note that the downside of this that I noticed is that when a game does crash, it will be worse because it would lock up your system since the error isn't handled properly and may need a restart. So in some instances, it might be less then helpful. But it did let me get past my problem area as it seemed to have delayed the error long enough.

0 Likes