cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

igjoe2192
Adept II

6950XT - Fortnite Stuttering and Low FPS - DX11, DX12 & Performance Mod

Fortnite in DX11 and DX12 runs very poorly currently on my system. It definitely isn't the hardware and has to be a driver issue or an optimization issue with the game. I have a 5950X and a 6950XT, I am running the game at 2560x1440. DX11, DX12 and Performance Mode all suffer from stutters. If I lower settings, it will worsen performance as the GPU usage will dip very low. Even with high settings the game will run "better" but very inconsistent and suffer from bad frame timing, 120+fps feels like 60. This becomes less of an issue when you move up to 4K. The stutters are still there but not as frequent and usage on the GPU remains in the 80% range. Performance is worse with Fortnite's multi-threading setting on.

DX12 mode is a joke. Starting a match, the GPU will be at a maximum of 50% usage and slowly drop down to next to nothing and the game will basically be rendered by the CPU at that point. 30fps and below. 

Everything is up to date. I have tried both the preview driver and the WHQL driver from 5/10/2022. I am running Win 11 Pro on Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000 and Fortnite's current version of (20.40-CL-20244966-Windows). Fortnite is the only title performing like this. I have tweaked and touched every dial in game, Radeon settings and in Windows. Nothing has solved the poor performance or the hitching/stuttering. 

0 Likes
1 Reply
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

We are currently looking into Fortnite performance and we have an existing thread which you can use to track future updates and to provide your feedback.
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/fortnite-fps-drops-using-dx11-and-performance-mode/m-p...
0 Likes