cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

6950XT Constantly Crashing

So I just bought and MSI Gaming X Trio 6950XT and this thing is constantly crashing within seconds of launching any gaming application. This is a problem that I NEVER had with Nvidia. I really want to give this thing a shot but I'm to a point where I'm ready to return it and get a 4000 series. I did my research across multiple different forums and seems to be community consensus when it comes to AMD Cards more specifically the drivers... I've rolled back the drivers as far as 22.5.1 even trying the adrenaline pro edition and all the same results to absolutely no avail. I played around with some undervolting options and still cannot get this card to run stably. I'm running out of options at this point and really dont know what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated... 

1000W 80+ Platinum EVGA Supernova PSU, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro, i9 12900k, G.skill Trident Z DDR5 6000MHz 

1 Solution
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Crashing under load is a tell tale sign of a power supply issue.  I run a 1300w supernova G2 with 6 separate 12v rails so each of the gpu's pcie power connectors have their own 12v rail.  I moved to this PS because my AIB 6900 xt was crashing under load until I got the power right. 

I started out with an Enermax platimax 1350w ps and it was unstable until I isolated the pcie power cables from the rest of my peripherals which is a pain with that ps since you have to actually read the power distribution chart for it to understand how it works so you don't plug into the wrong 12v outputs.

You cannot power share any of the 12v rails that are powering the gpu or your system will be unstable.  Personally I would return the card and get a rtx instead because amd's support for this card has been dismal.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
oark
Adept III

oark_0-1665218848382.png

In AMD Software:

Stress Test the GPU for 10 minutes 

Just completed successfully with absolutely no issues at all... Is this a driver related issue?

0 Likes

This is good, GPU passed the stress test.

You mentioned that you get instant crash in any game so if you passed GPU and CPU stress test then most probably you have problem in your windows (Software related issue).

Just to make sure that all your hardware is working probably, download Cinebench in windows store and stress test your CPU for 10 - 30 minutes. 

oark_1-1665235330791.png

Cinebench completed the 10 minute test successfully. Netted a score of 27078pts with the i9-12900k. No tweaks in the BIOS at all...

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Crashing under load is a tell tale sign of a power supply issue.  I run a 1300w supernova G2 with 6 separate 12v rails so each of the gpu's pcie power connectors have their own 12v rail.  I moved to this PS because my AIB 6900 xt was crashing under load until I got the power right. 

I started out with an Enermax platimax 1350w ps and it was unstable until I isolated the pcie power cables from the rest of my peripherals which is a pain with that ps since you have to actually read the power distribution chart for it to understand how it works so you don't plug into the wrong 12v outputs.

You cannot power share any of the 12v rails that are powering the gpu or your system will be unstable.  Personally I would return the card and get a rtx instead because amd's support for this card has been dismal.

rawintellect
Miniboss

Turn off Hardware acceleration for everything you have running in the background (chrome, discord...anything). This is a problem that is supposed to be fixed with 22.10.2. It's well known and all over this forum as well as reddit.

**Update 

Went into the Bios and turned off XMP mode and that seemed to do the trick. I'm Assuming my power draw between my CPU, GPU, and then DDR5 in XMP mode tipped the scale. I grey screened one time after this, but no more in game crashes for now. I'll be investing in a 1300W power supply just to rule that out indefinitely. Thank you to everyone who reached out. I was about this close to ponying up for a new RTX4000 series... #TeamRed

0 Likes

I have come accross this issue twice in the past and while it is PSU related it does not mean you need to rush out and buy a new one.

In both cases it was resolved by changing the PSU cable configuration.

The problem occured when I was using 1x PSU to GPU cable. When I switched to 2x PSU to GPU cables (splitting the load?) the problem went away. Yes it doesn't look as tidy in the case but it solved the problem. Might be worth a try.

Hex.

Got the same GPU. none of the solutions worked for me.

0 Likes

I had been having the same problems of my GPU randomly crashing, not even with games but with Geoguesser or youtube videos, the thing that worked for me was to upgrade to Windows 11, use the latest version in the bios and in the GPU, and update all drivers no more crashing happening after this 

0 Likes
Borbovsky
Adept II

Hi, upgraded today and the first thing I noticed while trying the first game was that the profiles I had for the former AMD card were not updated with the max frequency for the GPU SHOCK!! also the curves were updated with some fan speeds that were not far from 50% speed at max temps SHOCK!! had to quickly quit Ghost Recon Waypoint as junction temps were reaching 105º.

Former card was a 6750 that has a much higher clock and I almost toasted this new one check that gaming profiles are correct with the max freq for GPU and VRAM, adjust the fan curve. 

Now I'm safely at 65º , what a difference. Tnx

0 Likes