Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

roblfr
Adept I

6900XT issue

Greetings!

Ryzen 9 7900x | X670 Aorus Elite AX | Radeon RX 6900 XT with 16GB (has two seperate cables going in) | DDR5 AM5 PC6000 Kingston Fury Beast | 1000W be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum and use TWO monitors (Benq, 60Hz, HDMI and DP on DVI, worked like a charm on GTX970). OS is Win 10 Pro 22H2.

I have massive issues with the computer, presumably since installing 22.11.2 driver update. I already did use DDU in safe mode to uninstall everything, and do a fresh install of the same driver (actually had several attempts to download from AMD website).

When in some game menus and alt-tabbing out I hear - due to massive FPS of programme in background - massive coil whine, and see massive clock increase in eg. HWinfo to the point of system just going offline/complete shutdown as if pulling plug. Power LED stays on. I wanted to control this behaviour with Adrenaline software, and set both, chill to 56-58 fps and frame rate target control to 58 fps. Just - FPS in background when tabbing back in looks skyrocketed. Win Event Manager shows nothing.

What do?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Update. System stable now on 22.11.2 (30 Nov 2022), complete reinstall (download directly from amd page, not automatic installer from amd) around 22nd Dec 2012, testing since early January. No other changes.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Do older drivers cause this behavior?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
roblfr
Adept I

Hard to say. Card was running only three days on previous release driver. I will redo entire Windows on the weekend and revert to old driver in the vain hope windows doesnt update by itself, then report back.

0 Likes
shadow007
Adept III

I would reseat 6900XT and unplug and replug Pci-e Cables or perhaps try another PSU

MOBO :EVGA X299 DARK 151-SX-E299-KR CPU : Intel Core i9-10900X Skylake-X 10-Core 3.7 GHz LCR :Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 GPU :SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 6900 XT SE MEMORY: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum SE Torque 32GB (4 x 8GB) CMD32GX4M4C3200C14T SSD 01: SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 1 TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MZ-V7P512BW SSD 02: SAMSUNG 860 PRO 256GBX2 Raid 0 PSU : Corsair AX1200I 1200 Watts CASE :Thermaltake (Armor+) VH6000SWA SC :Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 5.1 Channels Monitor Acer XR382CQK IPS 3840x1600 @ 75HZ BD Samsung SH-B123L
0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

When I first installed my 6900xt it would shutdown my pc during heavy loads.  I discovered that on my system my pcie cables were drawing off the same 12v rail along with some peripherals which would trigger power protection and shutdown my system.  It forced me to study the enermax power distribution chart to see how the outputs were related and it was rated for 1350w.

Then I rearranged them so they did not share any power draw with any other peripherals on the system on the rails they were attached to so when I was done they each had their own rail and the peripherals had their own rails.  It sucked because some 12v rails shared with peripheral outputs and some didn't and I had to find the isolated rails for the card to work right.

I ended up replacing that PS with one that has individual rails for each of the pcie connectors so it was no longer an issue for me.  In the future I will always study the power distribution chart before I buy a PS.

0 Likes
roblfr
Adept I

Has two cables, so no daisy chain afaik. 1000W beQuiet should be sufficient by all input I got (and the professional vendor I got the machine from). I did also replace hdmi-to-dvi cable of one monitor with second dp-to-dvi cable.

@cpurpe91I did complete reinstall (without network access), and installed gigabyte mainboard and amd drivers fresh. issue 1) fps unlimited when tabbing out of some 3d apps = solved for some, but not for others. 2) crashes on high load = not solved (including high load when tabbing out of some other 3d apps, ie. system crash when drawing unlimited fps in 3d app menus that get put in background). then updated drivers. no changes and system crashes remain.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

What model 6900 XT is it? Reference or from an AIB? I would bring this issue to tech support since none of our suggestions seem to be working. There is a possibility older drivers may fix the issue but it seems to me something is faulty in your PC. It is a relatively new build so hopefully you can narrow the issue down but you tried basically everything I would have suggested. I do know that these new drivers are causing issues for a surprising amount of people considering they are the recommended, and many have gone back to 22.5.1 as those were the recommended and worked for most disregarding some optimizations for newer titles.

If you feel you have exhausted all other possible solutions, here is the link to contact AMD. Online Service Request | AMD

If it is an AIB model I would contact the manufacturer.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
roblfr
Adept I

Thank you for the input. Yes, the computer system is less than 14 days old. I have a feeling it is a mixture of bad drivers and 1000W not sufficient for Ryzen 7900X and 6900XT (it is XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6900 XT Core Gaming)

0 Likes

Update. System stable now on 22.11.2 (30 Nov 2022), complete reinstall (download directly from amd page, not automatic installer from amd) around 22nd Dec 2012, testing since early January. No other changes.

0 Likes