cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mattshell81
Journeyman III

6900xt Driver Install Crashes PC

When I update to any of the amd drivers I can find on the amd site I crash at around 20 percent on the install and my pc gets stuck trying to repair. I have tried ddu, I have installed using device manager just pinted at the Driver folder, I updated to newest chipset, I updated to newest bios version, and I have tried auto detect tool. Nothing I change allows me to install any new drivers and I can't find the old drivers that worked now. Can someone show me where I csn download old drivers? The most recent 2 are all I see on the site and neither work. All updates before October worked fine but the October drive through the most recent will crash during install. I had no crashes or instability prior to trying to install these drivers. The big issue is I need to fix this eventually because the most recent ones that work were so far out of date that some games say I can't play when I launch them unless I update my driver which is why I attempted it again. 

6 Replies
cudyyy_
Adept II

Hey Matt!

I'm having the same problem on my 6800XT. The last driver working for me (and some others that have this problem) is 21.11.3. You can find the driver by searching trough google.

I hope some more people will face this problem so AMD finally can work on it. I bricked my windows 4 times already by updating to a newer driver than 21.11.3...

All the best, Paul

0 Likes
jdgesmlls
Adept II

Previous drivers for the 6900 XT: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6900-seri...

The link is in small text at the bottom of the driver download page.

0 Likes
xteqsys
Journeyman III

Finally I've found the proper thread for my problem, sadly no answer though

I got the same issue, trying to update adrenalin software since 21.10.2 - not one version really works, the outcome is always the same - the screen blinks one time and pc goes straight to a reboot, it doesnt succeed and then the repair routine starts - ddu - 21.10.2 installation back again. I got r5 3600 and 6600 xt, tried everything the op described - all in vain, tried manually installing drivers without amd software - didn't work.

Seems like the display driver is causing the crash, because i tried to install it manually first and it was enough to brick the system, but there's no way to see the error message  - pc instantly reboots after going blackscreen. 

Checked the event viewer after the last failed attempt to install adrenalin 22.3.1, the most suspicious entries look like:

The driver \Driver\AMDSAFD failed to load for the device ROOT\AMDSAFD&FUN_01&REV_01\0000.

The driver \Driver\FXVAD failed to load for the device ROOT\MEDIA\0000.

The driver \Driver\AtiHDAudioService failed to load for the device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1008\7&1b2566e4&0&0001.

(not taking into consideration the kernel panic: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.)

I'm not sure what conclusions I can make out of it

Check in 'windows reliability history monitor' to see if Win. update is trying to replace the driver.

Run SFC and DISM commands to check/repair OS files.

Might also help to know what OS/build version number (and if RTM or Insider) your on.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I've done all the different scans for OS and all have come back good. I think I found a fix that has worked for me though. I just updated to the most rececent windows version and lost task bar and had flickering. I assumed it was due to gpu drivers being so old since sfc scan still found nothing so I started going through old drivers and installing 1 by 1 not skipping any in between and selecting factory reset and driver only worked every time. I was using ddu to wipe it clean before but something about using the adrenalin installer to remove the old drivers made it work. 

0 Likes
cudyyy_
Adept II

Did you find any fix yet?

0 Likes